Stingray

Stingray (2)

Aired Friday 8:00 PM Jul 14, 1985 on NBC

• Posing as a wealthy businessman, Ray infiltrates the centre of Mendoza's brain-wiping operation, and goes about putting and end to it – but in doing so, risks being Mendoza's next victim. A good conclusion to an enjoyable Pilot...

This review contains spoilers.

...Review continued from Part I.

Part I of this Pilot had the odd weaker moment but for the most part was very intriguing, and thankfully that very much continues on into Part II.

Ray poses as a wealthy businessman to infiltrate crime lord Mendoza's operation. Stephen J. Cannell always did love disguises and cover stories (see Jim Rockford, various members of 'The A-Team', the odd instance in 'Riptide', etc.), and continues his flair for such things here.

As the bullied (and as it transpires, blackmailed) Evelyn Dector, wife of Dr. Ernest Dector who is key in the brainwashing operation, Susan Blakely puts in an interesting performance. Although she receives Special Guest Star billing, I'm not actually familiar with Blakely from any other performances, but she does what's required in this role.

As with Part I (in fact, maybe even slightly more so), there is the odd moment where the pace dips a little, but thankfully things soon find their footing again and the interest level picks up.

As I mentioned on my review of Part I, the only drawback when I watched this Pilot on DVD, was that it was the edited two-part version, and, reading up on the series, I find that several scenes (such as Ray practicing Tai Chi) are not present. This is due to the versions used for the DVD coming from episodes remastered for syndication broadcasts; the original 120-minute version was not remastered and thus not used. A real nuisance, I always feel a bit conned after I've forked out my hard earned cash only to find something like this. Thankfully, I had not seen any of this series before, so there was still enough for me to enjoy (still irritating though).

Not much more to comment on this one that I didn't say in my review for Part I. Some really interesting concepts, with the usual Cannell trademark style, and I really look forward to watching the rest of the series. As with Part I, I give the conclusion of this Pilot a decent 9 out of 10.