Storm Hawks Forums

Cartoon Network (ended 2008)

Interview with Ace!

little_geever

[1]Nov 27, 2007
    • level: 3

AH HA!

I found a site that would host it!

Beware, it's 21 minutes long, and this is only my second interview with someone, so dont be too critical about my audio "presence" lol.

ALSO! Don't kill me if I didn't ask your question. I did my best to dig for new information about the show, and if needed (if we get another good round of question) I can always try to fandangle another interview out of ace, but it'd have to be a good amount of new questions that aren't redundant to these, lol.

Enjoy

(If someone has the time... or just wants to help me out and transcribe this, that would be awesome. if you do send me mail telling me... or post in this thread)

Edited on 05/28/2008 8:48pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Bitsy83

[2]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 9
    YOU ASKED MY QUESTIONS!!! I LOVE YOU!!! So...Stork is just...green skinned. Ok, I can live with that. But him being early 20s?!?! I'm not sure what to make of that...

Lady_Psycotica

[3]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 7

Its kind of sad. Not even the creators of the show know what Radarr is.

Not surprised about Storks age though.

StellaMagic

[4]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 18
    I know a name for Ace's fusion for the show's animation: 2CG.

Zitholkt

[5]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 2

Shame I can't listen to it, or download the file.

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to transcribe it, word for word. I wanna know everything that was said.

O.o

Xibrei

[6]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 10

EDIT: SCROLL DOWN TO SEE storm-surge's Transcript of the interview

I jotted some stuff down (not a transcription!), so some stuff might not be answered due to length/laziness (though it is answered in the interview). It's just a paraphrased summary of questions asked and topics covered in the interview.

It also might not be accurate(WARNING: it's paraphrased, apart from quotes). Listen to it yourself!

The Questions:

1. Inspiration for Storm Hawks?
    2. Your reaction to the new Cartoon Network timeslot?

3. What is the average episode production time?

4. What is the hardest part in episode creation?

5. What is the actual technical name for the type of animation?

6. Reaction to show being popular outside intended demographic?

7. Estimated Time for Arrival for MMO?

8. How did Aerrow become the gifted Sky Night he is?

9. Background stories?

10. Ages?

11. How did Aerrow find Radarr?

12. Ages of DA and Starling
    13. Is there more to Piper than currently known?
    14. How did Master Cyclonis rise to power?
    15. Will the Oracle from "Forbidden City" return?
    16. Will a storyline/arc be shown?
    17. Romance?
    18. Favorite Character?
    19. Do you pull from personal experience?

Asaph's Message:

"Thanks for watching the show, and we promise to continue to better ourselves. It's going to get bigger, more exciting, and more entertaining as time goes on."

I'm loving the show.

Edited on 11/29/2007 1:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Dotskip317

[7]Nov 28, 2007
    Xibrei? I love you.

Helene2Troie

[8]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 14
    Ahhh! I want to see that episode where we get the promised back round on Aerrow/ all of them! Can't....wait! And by the way, thank you so much, little_geever!

kanjo_girl

[9]Nov 28, 2007

You mentioned that parents like the show!

(this show is my mom's favorite...)

Edited on 11/28/2007 3:44pm

kanjo_girl

[10]Nov 28, 2007

"Is there going to be any romance?"

"No comment."

Kingskarl

[11]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 6
    You rock!!!
    man i'v learned so much about teh storm hawks.
    thanks man

cyclonis's story he says is kinda cool!

and an origin episode! woW!

Xibrei

[12]Nov 28, 2007

I'm still waiting for Drew to reply.

His reaction should be quite interesting.

storm-surge

[13]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    Just letting you guys know I'm in the middle of a transcription so 5 five other people don't do it in vain.

kanjo_girl

[14]Nov 28, 2007
    Xibrei wrote:

I'm still waiting for Drew to reply.

His reaction should be quite interesting.

Though, I'm afraid of his...

kanjo_girl

[15]Nov 28, 2007

storm-surge wrote:
    Just letting you guys know I'm in the middle of a transcription so 5 five other people don't do it in vain.

"Transcription"? What do you mean...?

prncssgrl1881

[16]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 12
    Terra Merb huh? No wonder Stork is so paranoid.

storm-surge

[17]Nov 28, 2007
    • level: 5

Here is the promised Transcript:

Transcription of Interview with Asaph (Ace) Fipke

Since It was requested, and since it's for everyone's good, I decided to do a transcription of the chat.

* Sorry if there are any errors, and this is pretty much word for word (with cutting out some of the uh and um and repeated phrases), so it's rather long. There were several things I missed originally that I picked up while doing the transcript, so it's worth reading over. *

Little_geever: Is this Ace?

Ace: Yeah.

Little_geever: This is Mr. Shane Green calling about that interview.

Ace: Hey how are you?

Little_geever: Good, how are you.

Ace: Not to bad.

Little_geever: Yeah I just have a few questions for you that a bunch of the posters at tv.com have submitted to me.

Ace: Yeah, I think I got forwarded a few, so why don't you go through.

Little_geever: Alright, let's start out with some backgrounds of the show, like what gave you the idea for Storm Hawks.

Ace: It sorta came from some design ideas that I had from when I was thinking I wanted to develop a show that had something that had been missing from the action realm, that was a really cool kinda flying adventure, that wasn't space related, so ultimately, ya know, it came from that, a concept of two very cool things, biplanes and motorcycles, and a transformation in-between, and a concept of battling in the skies; a sky knight. I think it was of kinda the concept of a sky knight, of sky rides, which is what sparked, what came up in my imagination, something that was really cool. From there, I started creating a cast of characters, and that's where it ended up. It was a couple of years ago, about two years ago, that I came with the original concept, which my team a Nerd Corps then began developing with designers and writers, and we managed to finance the show, and we're 52 episodes later.

Little_geever: Do you guys plan on doing more than 52; have you signed on for any more?

Ace: Most definitely, there's a plan to. It's a little early to say definitively yes or no, but we have plans for potentially doing even a couple of feature length Storm Hawks episodes at the end of the 52, and some really interesting ways in which the 52 will probably end, and launch into a new direction of what happens to the Storm Hawks after the 52, so there's plans in the works, but there's nothing guaranteed solid right now.

Little_geever: So what's your though on the new timeslot Cartoon Network put it at. Did they give you any reason for it?

Ace: Well, it's good, it's playing everyday, which is a very good thing, and I think what they wanted to do was hit that before school slot, and trying to find a strip on Cartoon Network that would build the show, and the awareness of it, and because of that, I'm very happy with them as a partner. There's no better place for the show to be than Cartoon network, and as long as the fans stick in there, I imagine they'll expand the timeslot in the near future, probably in the new year, so it's all good.

Little_geever: Good to hear. How long does it take to make an entire episode of Storm Hawks from the first time you record the voices to the final product?

Ace: Well, let's just see. I takes about 2 months to storyboard it, and then while that's happening, there's also a design phase, which is three weeks or so, for that specific episode, as well as a modeling stage, which is another three weeks, and then there's about 8 weeks of animation, which includes some pre-production, and then about 3 weeks of post. So, from the beginning to the end, you're looking at about 4, 4 ½ months from the record to the final product. We at the studio deliver a show every 2 weeks, so you can kinda guess how many shows we're working on at any given time. There's about a half dozen shows at any given time, at some stage along the way.

Little_geever: What's the hardest part of making an episode?

Ace: I would say that the hardest part is probably insuring that the stories are as good as the can possibly be under a short deadline, so the writing phase is probably the most important, but each phase of production has it's own sort of challenges and it's own ????, so overall it's a collective group of over a hundred people working on the series in all, and each one of them has their own story of what's challenging, but everyone's having fun with it, so I don't know if people say it's a hard thing to do, so does that answer it?

Little_geever: Yeah. Another question that was brought up is: what is the technical name for the animation, because it's not really CG, it's not really 2-D?

Ace: Yeah, I guess it's sorta of a fusion, something that at Nerd Corps were really proud of, and did a lot of development of how we wanted to do it, and I guess it has elements of anime, North American classical, and 3-D animation. I just call it block-buster Saturday morning animation. Our objective was to still give it that feel of a television animated series, with all the bells and whistles we could throw at it, so that's basically what I would say the style is.

Little_geever: Yeah, that's the thing that got me hooked on the show, was the animation itself, and I'm like 21, and I know there's a lot of other people out there who are like 20's, 30's, parents who are watching the show. Are you surprised about how much attention the show is getting outside of its intended demographic?

Ace: Our intention was to make fairly sophisticated stand-alone stories, and I think a lot of it comes from the character driven sort of element of the show. It's not super formulaic, and the writing team is trying to come up with stories that are character driven, and because of that, I think it creates a wider demographic. When you watch the show it's important to look at that element. It's got a lot of visual humor, gags, fast action that the little kids are gonna get, and also has a sophisticated level of characters, that are well rounded. We're pretty proud of that, and it makes it an enjoyable sort of experience for all ages, so I guess we consciously take a huge amount of pride in the show, and so we feel, we're all adults working on it, we enjoy the stories, and that makes it quite easy; it was our intention to hit a kinda broad audience, and I'm glad it's getting there, I mean, the interesting thing is, were getting so many emails from parents thanking us for making a show they can watch with their kids for once, an action show they can watch with their kids; that's a huge compliment for us, so we're very happy with it.

Little_geever: As you should be. Another question that was posed is: what is the ETA on that MMO you guys have been working on?

Ace: It's in the works. Making an MMO is a very difficult task, but I've seen quite a bit of the work as of late, and it's very impressive. We're using a 3-D engine, which is very unusual for these kinds of things, and literally you'll be able to become your own skynight, ride a transforming machine, trade in crystal currency and a variety of other things, and it's looking good. We're shooting for sometime in the spring. It looks like we're on track for that.

Little_geever: That's cool. So more questions on this list of questions I have. Okay, Let's switch gears from the background of the show to the actual show itself. I've seen the new intro, that itself answered a bunch of questions, then posed a bunch more. We know that Aerrow is a descendant of the old ones, how did he actually become that gifted skynight that he is.

Ace: Oh, well there's an origin story that will be coming out in the latter half of the 52, which will explain all that, but I can sort of say that he finds out that he is a descendant, and is chosen by some guardians of Atmos to take up where the old Storm Hawk's left off. So, that's I guess the big answer to it,

Little_geever: Like in that story is it going to be backgrounds of everybody, or general things.

Ace: Ya know how the Storm Hawks came together; we touch a little bit on who they were before they became the Storm Hawks. They're mainly orphans, but we don't touch to much on their family life though, aside from what hear about Junko and Stork, in how they were raised, in the episode Tranquility Now, with Junko talking about the gleep and his early days as a young Wallop.

Little_geever: What are the ages of them, like who's the oldest and youngest, or all the same?

Ace: They're all 14, except Stork, who's the oldest. He's in his early 20's.

Little_geever: Stork's a popular character, with a lot of the people on the message boards; they all want to know what he is. Is he furry? Scaly? Amphibious? Mammal? Reptile?

Ace: He's a merb. He comes from terra merb, which is in the Atmos. He's green skinned, cold blooded, and the terra he comes from is filled with thousands of natural disasters that seem to be taking place at any given point, and therefore, the citizens of terra merb are a little on the cautious side, one might side. He doesn't have scales or fur; he's just got kinda a clammy cold skin. He could be likened a little bit to an amphibian, but they don't live in water or anything like that. The merbians are their own sort of alien race within the atmos.

Little_geever: And that background episode you were talking about, are you going to explain how Aerrow found Radarr?

Ace: It's possible we'll touch on it a little. Radarr and Aerrow have been together ever since Radarr was a little "Pup", I suppose, Although he's not really a dog, and not really a rabbit either, in fact, no one really knows what Radarr is, but they've been together even since Radarr was found by Aerrow. So about 7 or 8 years.

Little_geever: Another age question is how old is like Dark Ace and Starling?

Ace: Starling's in her early twenties and Dark Ace is in his late twenties.

Little_geever: Still scanning my list. Is there more to Piper than meets the eye, like her natural ability with crystals?

Ace: Absolutely. She's just learning he abilities with crystals and her destiny. More will unfold on that later in the series.

Little_geever: What about Master Cyclonis? What's the history of her; how did she become the ruler of Cyclonia? At here young age how was she able to take over of all of that?

Ace: Well that we'll touch on in the origin episode. She comes from a long line of evil emperors, so she managed to gain the throne a little earlier than expected, due to an unfortunate incident that happened to her father.

Little_geever: Okay, another question: Will the oracle come back into play?

Ace: Well, it's an interesting question. We'll sort of touch on those things that were seen near the end of the 52 episode series. We're mainly in stand-alone episodes, almost all of them are stand-alone episodes, but as we get closer to the end, there will be some thread or arch in-between some of the episodes, and the oracle may play into it at that point.

Little_geever: Cool, I was wondering about that myself, because I have noticed they are all stand-alone and they're great episodes, I was just wondering when an actual storyline or arch itself is going to develop.

Ace: Yeah, Were definitely developing it as, it's developed; we're going into the Storm Hawk's purpose and destiny a little more, along with Cyclonia's purpose and destiny, culminating in some really interesting stuff in the latter part of the second 26 episodes.

Little_geever: Romance. Are we going to see any?

Ace: No comment.

Little_geever: I was afraid of that. Okay, here's another one for you: Who's You favorite character and why?

Ace: Who is my favorite Character? I love them all. I think that, obviously, the hero character, the thing I love about Aerrow is just his relentless struggle for doing the right thing, and then here I love Junko's struggle for confidence, Finn's Struggle to be humble, Piper's struggle to be patient, especially with Finn, and Stork's struggle to survive. All of them kinda represent the kid in me or the kids I've known, so as a team, their my family, so each one has their own special place for me. I'll put it this way: I don't pull favorites for that little family.

Little_geever: Is that how you get most of your influence for Storm Hawks, from like personal experience, or do you go like modern media?

Ace: Well, theirs a large writing team on the show, and it's a very collective process for influence, so there's influence coming from all of the writers, and from their experiences and my experiences, that helps make up make up parts of the stories. Part of the most important thing about Storm Hawks is coming up and solidifying who the characters are, any then finding stories that sort of ring true, and I think that's one of the strengths of the Storm Hawks universe. We bring in a lot of writers who find it quite easy to find good ideas because they find the characters are so strong.

Little_geever: I think that's all the questions I have for you. Anything you want to say to the fans that go to tv.com or anything?

Ace: Well, ya know, Thanks for watching the show, and we promise to continue to better ourselves. It's going to get bigger, more exciting, and more entertaining as time goes on. So stick with it.

Little_geever: Okay, thanks Ace, you have yourself a wonderful day.

little_geever

[18]Nov 29, 2007
    • level: 3
    Storm, you are the best

ImKagetsu

[19]Nov 29, 2007
    • level: 12

The transcriptions really help me out and are just plain wonderful to read this. I likely couldn't have downloaded it.

I really like seeing the creators and voice actors of a show give us, the fans, their feelings of how much they put into the shows. It really reflects how much we enjoy their performance. And this show has a great performance level for me.

Edited on 11/29/2007 9:08am

Dotskip317

[20]Nov 29, 2007
    YOU.
    ARE.
    AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[nuff said]