Storm of the Century

ABC (Mini-Series 1999)

walrus_8463

Storm of the Century Fan Reviews (3)

• Give me what I want... and I'll go away...

This movie had to be good, because Stephen King himself wrote the screenplay - which was an original screenplay and no adaptation from one of his story. King wrote this sinister little tale especially for ABC television and I have to admit, that beside the fact that it is a good story for a cold night, snow piling up outside, it is a very good mvie as well. I loved the actors, the filming and just every minute of the 4-hour mini-series. I even watched the whole thing just listening to Stephen King's commentary (although I skipped the parts director Craig Baxley commented) - the commentary was as good as the movie itself, because it was not some poor strawhat talking about something, but Stephen King doing what he can do best: not commenting, but telling. Stephen King gives very delightful inside-information on the making of the movie and talks about works related to this movie, how he came across the idea for the story (it was partly influenced by a play by Friedrich Dürenmatt King had a part in when being in High School), how he tried to work it out, stuff like that. So this is a very interesting bonus for every Stephen King fan: you get a very good movie and a very fine commentary by Stephen King, with all the information and all the amusing details 'n' extras.

Story's Rough Cut: Small town off the coast of Maine, Little Tall Island, the setting of "Dolores Claiborne" - "life on the island is different from the life on the mainland." Stranger makes the small township aware of his evil presence by murdering an old woman, Martha Clarendon, and therefore arrested - "because I choose," as the stranger, André Linoge, claims. Linoge knows all the dirty little secrets of the clean-shirted islanders and he wants what he inevites, unless he will not go away. What exactly Linoge wants, you have to find out for yourselves, sorry. It is worth finding out, believe me, just this one time! ;-)

Let me finish with a praise for the movie by some newspaper I do not remember, "it is a high-voltage, spine-tingling shocker, which has been called one of the best King films ever!" It sure is.