Strong Medicine

Lifetime (ended 2006)

Strong Medicine Fan Reviews (55)

• It is so bad ,I just can´t believe how bad it was :S

I´m not going to waste time writeing a review .... But there are som rules about having 50 words. So if you don´t have 30 minutes to throw out the window , then don´t bother watching this show. Go watch Prison break , Lost , 24 , American dad , Simpsons , Desperate Housewives , Smallville or Charmed.
  • Their worlds couldn't be more different but their commitment and passion brings them together. Strong Medicine is a sometimes intense, sometimes hilarious medical drama that takes us inside the world of street level medicine.

I used to love this show, but now I don't like it anymore, all the nice aspects of the serie are gone and maybe it's just because they show it at such a stupid time here (10.00 pm) but I can't seem to watch a whole episode. I hope they'll move this show to another time and improve the series.
  • Could be counsidered entertaining...

Yup, Strong Medicine does go "over the top" frequently, but what hospital show or courtroom or detective/police drama hasn't? And yes, it also flaunts a decidedly feminist perspective, but what else would you expect from Whoopi Goldberg on Lifetime TV? Strong Medicine is not intended to reflect reality all the time, because if it did, it would either be too gory or too boring to have entertainment value. The acting is very credible, the writing is creative and sensitive and the direction is first-rate though not unusually clever for an emergency room show.

Rittenhouse Hospital doesn't exist (I did a quick search) and its characters and patients are fictitious. But the entertainment industry asks us to suspend our logic and common sense every day for the sake of, well...being entertained. And we do it gladly.

So sit back and relax and watch "Lu", "Andy Campbell" and the rest of the Rittenhouse staff tackle fascinating women's health issues with their usual confidence, expertise and sense of humor -- and OK, a bit more schmaltz and drama, just for fun.
  • Enter Dr. West...

The 6th season opener of SM was a little overwhelming. The introduction of 2 main characters and the loss of 2 or more, not to mention Lu getting shot, was enough to make any SM fan a little shook up. Andy is gone, and replaced with Dr. Dylan West, played by Rick Schroeder. Sorry to his fans, but I don’t find him particularly attractive, and I don’t understand why he was asked to join the cast. I liked how SM was so female-driven, but at least Lu and Jonah seem to have sealed the deal, preventing a clichéd and predictable romance between the 2 leads. Of course, Lu clashes with Dylan, as she seems to hate all men upon meeting them simply because of their gender (and later she sleeps with them…can’t say I get how she goes from being totally hostile to a giggly girlfriend. It happened with Ben and Jonah, to name 2.) But this time, it’s only intensified by the fact that when Lu was an intern, he was a surgeon, and he nicknamed her St. Helen’s because of an embarrassing medical flub she committed. Lu considers him extremely egotistical and impossible to work with. Dr. Jackson is also gone, “forced out” by the new head of Rittenhouse, a bitchy woman who wants to nix the free clinic altogether. Peter didn’t appear in this episode, making me wonder.
    This ep’s Rittenhouse patients had more severe issues than most. Isabel, who is 28 weeks pregnant, is in a car accident. She needs surgery to relieve brain swelling, but she says she would rather be brain-dead and kept alive by machine until the baby reaches term, instead of risking the baby’s life by going through with the operation. She makes her husband promise to obey her wishes, but once she becomes unconscious, Dylan manages to talk him into consenting for the surgery, saying it’s the only hope for mother and child. The baby is born very premature due to complications during the surgery, but fortunately, both survive.
    Lu has a bipolar patient named Delia, who comes to Lu in a manic state. She had gone off her meds and into a sever depression, stealing the car of her sister’s friend and parking on the train tracks, waiting for a train to hit her. Her mood suddenly elevated, and she abandoned the car, rushing to Lu in her excitement. A horrified Lu realizes the car is still on the tracks, but it is too late. Eight people are killed, and many more injured. Dylan wants her to report the incident right away, considering that the cops are now after the owner of the car, but Lu doesn’t think Delia can handle it right now, and instead sends her to the psych ward. A fight over this causes Lu to storm out of the clinic.
    That night she is set to meet Jonah for dinner to give him an answer to his proposal. But right near her apartment, a guy jumps her. She willingly gives him her purse, but when he asks for the ring, she refuses, and he shoots her. Lu lies bleeding heavily in an alley. Dylan comes to her apartment to try and work something out, and Jonah, who has been waiting for her at the restaurant, also shows up. The two men become worried that Lu isn’t answering her door or the phone, but suddenly they hear the ringer on her cell. They rush Lu back to the hospital, but the blood Lu needs, B-negative, is very rare, and Rittenhouse’s supply is reserved for the president, who is in town. Agent Norton, who I assume is from the Secret Service, won’t authorize use of the blood until the President is safely in his plane. However, Jonah poses over the phone as the agent, and Lu is rushed into surgery. Dylan ends up saving her life.
    When Lu awakens, she seems to make peace with Dylan, and accepts Jonah’s proposal. She also learns that once Delia got back on her meds, she realized what happened, and called the cops herself.
    Interestingly, at the end of the episode, Dylan pays special attention to Kayla with the whole don’t drive thing. Either this was the way the writers chose to introduce the idea that Dylan is haunted by a car accident from his past, or it could be that they plan to set the two of them up. Last season she and Peter were involved, but this added to my suspicion that maybe Peter is gone after all. Dylan seems so much older than Kayla that I think we’d have a creepy Tom Cruise- Katie Holmes thing going on. I have no idea what direction the show will take. I have a feeling if Lu gets married, it wouldn’t be surprising if she got pregnant soon after. More will obviously be revealed about Dylan’s past, and Kayla will become a bigger part of the show. I hope that woman who wants to get rid of the clinic doesn’t become a major character, and I also hope that maybe Andy comes back for a guest spot. I very much preferred her over Dana, and I probably will prefer her over Dylan. Now that Mark is gone and Andy’s kids are no longer part of the show, they will have to find something new to center on in the personal lives of the Rittenhouse staff, which leads me to believe Dylan may have some things to hide. And how will Lu react to being married to a millionaire, considering how she feels about the wealthy? We shall have to wait and see…….and oddly, as I was finishing this review I saw a commercial for next week’s ep and its all about revealing Dylan’s mysterious past. How right was I?
  • Good show.

I don't get to watch this show as much as I'd like. It's on the back burner when it comes to other shows I tend to watch, but that doesn't make it any less of a show. I still love this show and Lou is easy to relate to. The fast paced episodes are fun to watch and easy to follow.
  • Strong Medicine, very good medical drama. Superb storylines among other real life episodes and endings. Handsome cast also.

Finally a medical drama that stands up to the previous 70's drama Medical Center. Though cast and crew aren,t similar the story line of real life episodes about people are on the money. More intense than most it does deal with real life situations that most would have been embarrassed to bring out. Considering all the new issues in the medical community, the show does a great job of entertaining,influencing,and last but not least educating the audience about everyday issues most networks don't touch on.Another feature of the show is the different backgrounds of the actors parts of the show. From the rich and influential to the poor and helpless all fitting together to make a community work. Landmark show.
  • One of the best medical shows-and I only have 3 drama-medical shows that I've ever liked!

I loved this show (Strong Medicine) and enjoyed the down-to-earth main Dr's (Turner and Blasi), as well as the morality and the great stories. I'm astonished that there is no place on the web that is replaying the episodes. I was totally addicted!
  • I love that show, is the first one show of medicine that I see in my life, and I believe that is marvelous because one can see two professional women of different cultures, social status, to do its work of a different form.

I love that show, is the first one show of medicine that I see in my life, and I believe that is marvelous because one can see two professional women of different cultures, social status, to do its work of a different form. Also as the problems of their patients, are theirs. A good programs, with at times sad, serious, and humorous situations.

Please Forgive My Grammar, I Don't Speaks English.
  • The best show on lifetime.

Bring back Strong Medicine. I used to watch it every week. I watched it when Dana was on it. Then I watched it when Andy was on it. Then I watched it with Dylan. I am just glad that they never got rid of Lue. She was my favorite. I wished that Andy would of stayed on it though. Peter & Kayla make a nice couple. I knew that Lana and Peter would never leave Lue to get a new job. I wish that they would of never canceled the show. Please bring it back. I love Strong Medicine. I need it.
  • I love this show!!!!

This show is getting alot better. She is married and pregnant but I have one question Where is her son?? In the last season (I did miss about 3 shows) I never saw any remarks or anything that she even has a son. I know he is off to college but they should comment about him in atleast one episode. At least when his little sister is born.
  • The show is about the doctors that work in the RWHC and their lives in and out of the hospital. It is funny, but serious and the cast is always able to make it seem like you are in the middle of a real hospital.

Strong Medicine is both tough and tender, pulling your heart-strings one moment, making you laugh the next, and even making you hold your breath during each episode. I find the show to be a realistic portral of a real hospital, with real doctors and patients. It gives you a better idea of what goes on inside a hospital's doors.
  • Do not make the mistake of taking it off!

Lifetime, do NOT make the big mistake of taking Strong Medicine off the air! Yes, I understand you need to make room for new shows, but you absolutley cannot remove your best primetime drama! Everyone in the family can sit and watch the staff of Rittenhouse Womens Health Center! 2006 is not going to be a good year for Lifetime Television! You truly are making a HUGE mistake!
  • The show is wonderful, entertaining yet so full of lessons and heart warming episodes.Please replace have someone for Dr Lu, i got sad when Mickey died in Season 3, they are meant for each other,im a fan of Rosa, she\'s so cool. goodluck more to shows t

The show is great and wonderful, full of emotions and yet the essence of the medical situation and drama in the hospital is clearly seen plus the personal lives of the characters involved. Rosa Blasi & Patricia are well blended. Keep up the good work and stay more on TV always
  • Strong Medicine is a STRONG hit!!!

I am a BIG fan of Strong Medicine. I used to watch it every weekday but have not had the time to view it since so many changes have taken place. I have read that Dr. Jackson has been replaced, and that makes me sad…his was a good character. I have not seen any of the new episodes with Rick Schroder, but as I have never been a big fan, I am concerned that this cast change may, in my eyes, hurt the show, (My daughter still loves the show however). I do not like that they replaced Andy with a man though…it was so nice to have a show FOR women, ABOUT women…one that showed that woman can do anything a man can do, sometimes even better.
  • Wonderful medical drama, but did we need Rick Schroder?

This is one of my favorite shows out there. Each week I tune in because it gives valuable information for women's medical issues a lot of other medical dramas don't touch. It also gives medical information for issues you don't hear about a lot like lupus, which my great aunt died of. The first few seasons where great, Janine Turner and Patricia Richardson each brought different qualities to the show and it worked perfectly. However, did we all really need Rick Schroder coming in and ruining all that girl power? I liked the show better when it was about Lu and her other female doctors Dana Stowe and Andy Campbell, Schroder is just ruining it for me. However, I still watch for the storylines.
  • Strong Medicine is a fantastic show that unfortunately keeps getting worse with each replacement of the lead star. Janine Turner was the best, Patricia Richardson was pretty good, and Rick Schroder is horrible so far.

I started watching Strong Medicine in the summer of 2003, right at the beginning of season 4. While I haven't watched Strong Medicine since Day One, I have seen every episode now (thanks to Lifetime's wonderful, wonderful weekday repeats). Strong Medicine is BY FAR my favorite medical show and ER, House, and Grey's Anatomy pale in comparison to it (too bad the rest of America doesn't agree with me). It's great that it deals with women's health issues and is a perfect fit for Lifetime. Critics call it predictable so I must be really stupid since I rarely can predict anything on the show. Janine Turner is my favorite actress and the episodes with her are priceless. It's quite a shame that she decided to leave. I'd rate the seasons with her a perfect 10. Patricia Richardson was great and I appreciate her a LOT more now that she's gone and somebody horrible has replaced her. I'd rate the seasons with her 9.9. Rick Schroder is horrible (as I just mentioned haha) and so far his character is driving me crazy! If I were to just rate season six so far, the show would be down to an 8. If it weren't for Rosa Blasi, it'd be much lower than that! She is the "heart" of the show. While I've always claimed to like Dana and Andy more than Lu, truthfully I like Lu every bit as much as them. She is a strong woman who is a fantastic role model. While she's made many mistakes, she's learned from them. This brings me to Lana (played by the hilarious Jenifer Lewis), who's also made many mistakes in life and learned from them. Lana is one of my favorite characters and I look forward to scenes with her. Peter is just, well, Peter. Sometimes I like him, sometimes I don't like him, but overall I'm neutral about him. I like that he's committed to animal rights and that he seems like a really nice person but he pales in comparison to Dana, Lana, Lu, Andy, and Kayla. Speaking of Kayla, Tamera Mowry is a fantastic addition to the show. I enjoyed Sister, Sister and it's cool to see her all grown up and on her own. While I'm not a big Peter-Kayla fan, I still love Kayla and she made season 5 better than any other season without Janine Turner. I miss Dr. Jackson already. Even though he hadn't been in the episodes much lately, it was always fun to see him. He cracked me up with his obsession with "the bottom line". Call me crazy but I absolutely adore the main title sequence! The theme song makes me want to hum along, even though it sounds like a bunch of mumbo jumbo! Strong Medicine is by far the best medical drama ever and although it is definitely going downhill, the episodes are still definitely worth watching.
  • Why do they do this!!!

I agree with one of the reader's when they said bring it back and why did it go? I know I have said it in some of my other reviews and saying it again, never fails when u like somtething and really get into it, it goes away and they never make enough for re-runs to watch. I think her name is Patricia from "Home Improvement", tool time taylor's wife, I dont remember been awhile back but do know that she came from there but didnt even have a clue that they did this show with her until now, way behind I know, I am now watching this show until the re-runs runs out, guess I have awhile since it has been what back in 2000, well I can enjoy it for awhile and hope before they run out it may come back, the only part of the show I didnt care for is the little conference they all have before the actual show, and it is kind of like "ER", only just for women.
  • Excellent drama

Strong Medicine is an intelligent drama dealing with issues from a women's perspective, not seen very often on TV. The story lines are full of thoughtfully resolved problems that I have experienced in my life. I can see if I were younger, it would help me understand why things go the way they do in life. I like the various characters, and the wide diversity in terms of their ethnic and economic background. I also like that they generally support each other, develop friendships, and understand them. The characters are not cardboard, and I really wish it were put on network television. It was hard to find it, and the friends I've recommended it to, love it as well. I'm glad there is not too much gore, as the ER series has started to have, so I can learn about hospital life without seeing body parts and lots of blood.

This Medical show never came to Canada. . Just finished watching all the shows on Netflix. This is the best medical programs that I have seen. It is both educational and addictive.
  • The best show for families to watch together, young and old. Very informative & addictive. Powerful stories of true situations happening in our world today. It brings laughter & tears! Best Reality Show Ever Made! Brillant!

The Most Powerful, informative & addictive show that brings true situations (happening in lives today) to life. You will cry, laugh and cover your mouth from emotions stirred up. It educates and informs about topics and issues dealing with health, relationships and life that some have never known was real and/or could deal with. My Favorite, was the episode where Dr. Lu was raped and they showed the actual rape kit procedure being performed. I have never seen that shown before. My daughter seen for the first time what women go through, for real.. I cried, since it brought back feelings I had went through.. That is Just ONE example of how REAL the show is.. Love It! My 13 year old is also addicted to the show. Our only complaint is that it is no longer on Liftime cable channel! We are devistated that our mother/daughter strong medicine dates are over!

excellent real drama better tan e.r. in its hay-day

please bring back the show i will watch it at any time of the day rosa blasi is aces even when janine turner departed
    and then richardson departed the show did not miss 1 beat
    pleas advise as to who i need to contact to assure that s/m comes back to a television in my home ED KHAMIS/E-MAIL/EDKHAMIS@AOL.COM
  • Luvin it!

This show really was such a great precursor to shows like House and Greys Anatomy. I'm very glad that it had a nice 7 years running. The writers for this show were absolutely brilliant but towards the end it started feeling a little empty, not quite like a hospital at all.
    I was personally loving that the cute tall white guy was with a black chick, Tamara Mowry. It gave me such hope...
  • Got to love that Lou

Lou is the best doctor I have ever scene in my life. She cares about the people and fights for them, I think that is so cool. My favortie parter was Andy Camble. I thought it was so cool when they brought Dr. Thorten to the show. It was so cool. Who could not love Lana. She was the best one in the show. Jonas I think would make the best husband and father ever. Not because of the money but of his love for her, and any man who loves a woman like that they should love his child the same way or more. He shoewed when he loved Lou the most when Lou got shot and he drove on the street and ran stoplights. That is a true man there.
  • WHY DID IT GO AWAY?????????????????????

I loved Strong Medicine. I have been a faithful watcher for three years. It was like the best rated show on Lifetime and the new shows lifetime has now, they are crappy. I know that all shows have to come to an end, which I am usually okay with. But when Lifetime stopped showing Strong Medicine except for the wee hours of the night that ticked me off. Why can't they show it at five anymore like they used to? or four? or any time during the day when normal people are awake? I tell ya, TV people are smoking somethin'. Anyway, the show rocks, everyone should watch an episode or two because you will fall in love with it. Personally it is one of the better medical Dramas because it puts an equal amount of focus on patients as it does the doctors.
  • I absolutely LOVE this show!

Why is this show called strog medicine?
    It is called strong medicine because the octors are strong and so is the medicine hence the name strong medicine!
    Lu is a doctor and the mothr of Mark. Lu is the nicest person on Strong Medicine. She helps peopleno matter the risk. In 1 episode she let herself get arrested after she stopped the police from beating up a ill diabetic woman.
    the head doctor whose name I can't remember has two daughters.And she rents out a room to another doctor.
    Lawra is a black secatary for the hospital. She's always in everybodys buisness. And she cares alot for the doctors. And she always tries to help.
    They are the only three people whose names I can remember.
  • It's a show about doctors who save lives!

I love this show! I wish it didnt have to end. The end episode was shocking! Her husband had to basically deliver their child! I still watch the re-runs of this show! It doesn't matter if you've seen the episode before, you can still watch it over and over. I also missed Janine Turner (Dana Stoew) on the show. I wish they would have brought her back a couple of times. Her story of adopting those two girls was so sweet! This was one of my fave doctor shows ever. I fell in love with all the characters on it.
  • Touching show on Doctors as humans

This show has made a distinct impression on me right from the time I first saw it from the middle of the 3rd season. What struck me as different in this serial was the way mere actors turned themselves into onscreen angels by putting their heart into their potrayal as Doctors. My particular reference is to Dr Lu, who is actually quite different from our everyday doctors due to her sentivity and caring for her patients. Most doctors are like Dr Andy, tough, indifferent souls from the outside for whom we are just a diseased mass. Dr Lu is different. The patients under her care trust her and wish to cure themselves. That by itself is half the job done. The same holds for her colleauges who seek her opinion or former friends & fellow mmebers of her various counselling sessions. She also seems to get the most trickiest and touching of cases such as women molestors, cancer ridden children whose parents leave them or colleauges whom she loudly defends in the face of positive drug tests. Her acting is superb and doctors like her can really aid in a fast recovery and if that's not possible atleast a graceful death. Perhaps there was something in her which made the dying mom of her former classmate and current boyfriend( I'm in Season 3) turn to her for saying her last words. Dr Andy also has her share of touching cases like diseased child immigrants, employees stealing drugs for grandmother's memory or a girl with former polio aspiring to go into army. She treats them sternly but with inner feeling of care. Most doctors are like her. Andy and Lu balance each other and through this serial we get a glimpse of not just women's problems but societal problems evidenced from the care of low to medium rung patients in a small but sophisticted hospital.

I really enjoyed Strong Medicine. It is my FAVORITE show even if they...STOPPED RENEWING THE EPISODES!!! It makes me so upset that I have to stay up late at night to watch such a good, long-running show. Strong Medicine will always be my favorite show. Rosa Blasi-Finn practically made the show. She's been in every season and every episode. She has always been my favorite actress, she...omigosh, I can't even being to explain what an inspiration she and Strong Medicine have been to me. Rosa Blasi and Strong Medicine will always been my all-time personal matter what good new shows air. I don't know WHY they EVER stopped renewing the seasons of such a great show that almost everyone enjoys.
  • What a great show!

Strong Medicine is such a great show. I wish it could have stayed on a little bit longer. I just started watching the show last year and I feel in love with it. I'm always happy when I watch an episode of Strong Medicine. It just makes my day. I love watching doctor shows and this is one of my favories. The show has so many great views on how to handle things like abuse and drugs. The characters themselves were even put into the part of being raped or abused. And the actors on the shows play so great of a role. I would love to have the show back, but I guess i'll have to buy the dvds.
  • This show not only informed me about the medical challenges of becoming a physician, but it also gave me hope that someday maybe I can be that wise in understanding the ways of the human body as well as the mind and spirit of the person.

It caught my eye when I was flipping through the channels. It dealt with women doctors and their patients, but I learned more than that. I learned that sometimes you have to make life changing decisions for the good of the patient and their families. The more I looked at the show the more I realized what a powerful struggle it is to be a physician especially if you're a woman. I've always wanted to be a good physician someday and Strong Medicine was exactly what I needed. It gave me confidence to face the world and let everyone know that just because I'm a woman doesn't mean I need or want any special treatment. I'm just doing what I love just like everyone else.
< 1 2