Strong Medicine

Lifetime (ended 2006)

laurameyer

Strong Medicine Fan Reviews (55)

• Touching show on Doctors as humans

This show has made a distinct impression on me right from the time I first saw it from the middle of the 3rd season. What struck me as different in this serial was the way mere actors turned themselves into onscreen angels by putting their heart into their potrayal as Doctors. My particular reference is to Dr Lu, who is actually quite different from our everyday doctors due to her sentivity and caring for her patients. Most doctors are like Dr Andy, tough, indifferent souls from the outside for whom we are just a diseased mass. Dr Lu is different. The patients under her care trust her and wish to cure themselves. That by itself is half the job done. The same holds for her colleauges who seek her opinion or former friends & fellow mmebers of her various counselling sessions. She also seems to get the most trickiest and touching of cases such as women molestors, cancer ridden children whose parents leave them or colleauges whom she loudly defends in the face of positive drug tests. Her acting is superb and doctors like her can really aid in a fast recovery and if that's not possible atleast a graceful death. Perhaps there was something in her which made the dying mom of her former classmate and current boyfriend( I'm in Season 3) turn to her for saying her last words. Dr Andy also has her share of touching cases like diseased child immigrants, employees stealing drugs for grandmother's memory or a girl with former polio aspiring to go into army. She treats them sternly but with inner feeling of care. Most doctors are like her. Andy and Lu balance each other and through this serial we get a glimpse of not just women's problems but societal problems evidenced from the care of low to medium rung patients in a small but sophisticted hospital.