Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

B-12

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 27, 2006 on NBC

• The show is finally hitting it's stride, and it's on a roll!

This is one of those shows that you knew, you just knew, couldn't fail if given enough time to prove itself. Kudos to NBC for being patient and allowing Studio 60 to dig in and gain some roots, allowing it to start blooming. The last two episodes, I believe, were the best of the season. The addition of Mark McKinney is going to be quite a unique twist - a comedic actor and writer from another sketch comedy show playing a dour comedy writer. The seriousness of his character ("I don't find anything funny") was unexpected, yet, ultimately, necessary. And the return of Christine Lahti was a welcome sign as well. I think the thing that appeals to me most is that the writers have created characters that you can empathize with, and the actors have given them life, by playing them as real people. Rather than go for the over the top comedy performers, they have created almost believable human beings, a rarity for comedic television.

I was impressed with the fact that this episode showed that these characters have a soul. When faced with the decision to air a sketch about a bumbling hostage situation shortly after a real life hostage situation ended badly, they made the right choice without flinching. There was no jokes about it, no weighing the options. It was appropriatelty immediate and decisive.

I also enjoyed the subtle in-joke that one of the best comediennes of the cast cannot tell a joke in real life. This was a nice little touch, emphasizing that to succeed in comedy, it is the material that is important first and foremost. Good material in the hands of good actors makes for great comedy (a process 20 good years and 30 Rock have completely missed). This was emphasized again with rookies writing the sketch. It starts with the material.

Looking forward to next week!