Being funny or just making fun? The show within the show.

litlthread

[1]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 13

I've read a lot of posts talking about the show within the show (TSWTS).  Since this show is about a sketch comedy show, it doesn't seem unreasonable for people to talk about specific sketch comedy shows or sketch comedy in general.  I thought I'd make a topic for that.

Many people have commented that sketch comedy shows aren't nearly as funny as they were in the early days.  My thoughts are that the sketch writers are too busy trying to make some kind of statement or pop culture reference to actually be funny.

The Blues Brothers, Wayne's World, Wild and Crazy Guys, The Coneheads, King Tut.  When I think about my favorite SNL sketches, none of them are parodys of game shows that make light of people's beliefs or rehashed immitations of various political leaders with punch lines more predictible than a knock knock joke. 

Focusing more on TSWTS, the character Matt seems to be too busy trying to make some political point or offend someone to be truly funny.  The character Harriet defends her participation in offensive sketches by saying they're funny but what I've seen of them doesn't come off as funny.  I just don't understand why Matt has made a religiously offensive sketch a pre requisite for every show.  I don't see how any Christian watching TSWTS could not eventually take it as an attack. 

I'm a christian and I like Studio 60 but I probably would have stopped watching TSWTS after the third consecutive show that attacked my beliefs.  I mean, why would I put myself through that?  There is no dialogue, no one on my side or speaking from my point of view.  It's not a forum for intelligent debate, it's just a group of people making fun of me and my beliefs.  It's very easy to attack someone when they don't have the option of defending themselves but is it funny?

When the writer is focused on attacking, belittling or mocking a person or group, the comedy just isn't as funny as when the writer is focused on making someone laugh.  At least, that's my opinion.  What's yours?

Edited on 11/16/2006 5:28pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

osustudent06

[2]Nov 16, 2006
    • level: 5
    I don't really know. Not the best way to start out a post, but ..... I'd say it is more on the lines of being funny. The show's comedy is directed at the hypocrisy of people and organizations in power. Both Republicans and Democrats have been attacked, at least outside TSWTS. It is hard to say what the balance truly is, as we do not get the opportunity to watch the full SWTS. You can see some parallels to The West Wing. The very first episode saw many religious jokes. "Too busy being convicted of tax fraud..." or something along those lines. When looking at this, look at the person writing the words for the person writing the words. And, that of course is Aaron Sorkin.

I enjoy most of the jokes, even those directed at my beliefs. It causes me to look inside, think about those beliefs, and typically strengthen them. The science sketch was great. The J.C. was also funny. While I believe it is a sin to use the Lord's name in vain, I would be hard pressed to find a legitimate reason why someone who didn't share my faith should follow the laws of my faith. This is why I usually don't get offended by anything shown, expressed, or portrayed on television. Unless of course a far right-wing conservative is calling me unpatriotic. But, that's neither here or there ...

litlthread

[3]Nov 17, 2006
    • level: 13

When I try to explain how peope saying J.C. as an expletive makes me feel, I usually compare it to people using the N word.  I really doubt anyone would make a sketch with a character that had that name in order to reach around censors.  The whole point of that sketch was to offend people.  While I get what you're saying about not expecting other people to follow my beliefs, why go out of your way to make me feel uncomfortable with no real point?  I mean, what was the point the writer was trying to challenge me with?  My beliefs are stupid and so he shouldn't have to show me or them any respect?

jo_idnew

[4]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 15
    About the J.C. sketch.
    litlthread wrote:

... The whole point of that sketch was to offend people. ... I mean, what was the point the writer was trying to challenge me with? 

Matt said it in the show. Something like: "Half the shows in prime time star out with two hookers getting strangled..."

Think about the shows that are on now: Three CSI shows, NCIS, three Law & Order shows...and I KNOW I am missing a lot, I just don't feel like looking throught the primetime schedule.

The point I think is, when our society is ok with that level of vice, violence, gore, and nudity coming into our homes, why are we so hung up over words? I'm not saying I agree with it, it just seems to me that's what they were trying to say.