Has this show changed anyone's views on the War?

Has this show changed anyone's views on the War?

LostSux

[1]Aug 9, 2007
    • level: 6
    I'm not sure. I never gave it much thought. I just wanted to know what you guys think.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

showpolish

[2]Aug 21, 2007
    • level: 12
    hmm no i dont let fictional television affect my perception on politics, or anything else...

LostSux

[3]Aug 24, 2007
    That's why the 3rd and 4th options are there. For those whose opinions haven't changed at all.

arfurdaly

[4]Sep 3, 2007
    • level: 8
    I'm not too sure - the show has just highlighted a lot of area which we need to address. The war may or not be legal or just, but people are out there fighting it in the name of truth - they have to obey orders they may or not believe in. When people say the war is wrong and someone dies fighting in that war does that make the loss of life less justifiable ? The show tried to address these issues - do you pass comedic judgment on what you believe to be right or wrong and then risk the political implications? It is a shame the show ended - it had so much promise

hmnut7

[5]Sep 5, 2007

I felt the war stuff was a little forced. like the Army guy who sat with Tom he was too big of a jack*ss to take seriously "I can't tell you if your brother is dead or alive, he may or may not tortured, hey let's have a drink" with a smug smile. Which I found very odd because one of the last episodes Aaron did of the West Wing was the exact reverse situation where President sent Soldiers to fight in a conflict and some of them are taken hostage and one of the family members is the jack*ss.

But to the question, no. The show had no effect on my views about the war. So much that I don't feel I can take part of this poll. If there was a simple option "it did not change my view" that would be my option. But to say "I did support" or "I didn't support" and "I continue to do so." I hear good and bad arguments on the war every day, it is a deep complex topic with many social, political, economical and moral issues. The show only scratched the surface.

It's like if you read the New York Times and Washington Post everyday and get really deep into an issue and then someone says "Did you readthecomic strip in the post on that issue, did it change your view?"

So my view on the war has not changed much since Bush first went on TV and said there were WMD's in Iraq, many years ago. I will share my views with anyone who wants to hear them. But I will not pretend that Studio 60 had any impact in helping me confirm or deny my views.

Edited on 09/05/2007 8:54am
    Edited 2 total times.

LostSux

[6]Sep 9, 2007
    You say your views have not changed. What were your views back in 2003? Pro or Against?

hmnut7

[7]Sep 10, 2007

like most Americans my views on the War against theal-Qaida post 9/11 were get them all, every last one and make them suffer, plus not for nothing but I'm also from New York, they literally hit me in my own back yard. Then around 2003 when after all that time Bin Laden was no where to be found and Bush put pictures of supposed WMD's in Iraq, I knew then we would be fighting a war, and I was against it since that moment.

Freedom isn't free, and we have a military to fight against those who would harm our way of life, but Iraq didn't do anything. Sure we didn't like their leader, but although we didn't like them there are leaders all around the world who are far worse. South Korea is more likely to have WMD's, some 50-80% of Africa is run by Warlords, we have no control over the Drug lords who run the governments in South and Central America, the Former Soviet Union's stock pile of weapons including Nukes are mostly unaccounted for, and we still don't have Bin Laden. There are more than enough places in the worldfor us to put the military to good use.

As an American and a New Yorker I still want Bin Laden, I still want al-Qaida, Bush owns me their heads on a plater. I did not want Iraq I did not want Saddam, that's his war not mine.

I support our troops, I think there is nothing more honorable than a person who is willing to defend his/her country not only with their actions but also with their life. It is because I care so much about them that I don't want them to risk their lives for a meaningless war.

Edited on 09/10/2007 8:52am
    Edited 2 total times.

LostSux

[8]Sep 13, 2007
    So to sum up, you were against the war and still continue to be?

maka_elizalde

[9]Oct 3, 2007
    • level: 11

It doesn´t matter if someone is against or pro war. I think that hmnut7 expressed things so much deeper than a side choice. It´s difficult to have an absolut opinion on this things when something like 9-11 happens in your city and hurts your loved ones.

As for me, I´m against war. And always have been. But if one of my friends or relatives had been on the towers or anywhere that was attacked by terrorists, I don´t know what my opinion would be.

On what regards to the show, maybe it only made me take a better look on the brave and terribly hard work soldiers must put up with. They deserve sooo much our respect. And I mean soldiers on any side of any war. It´s not their choice, but they still go and fight for their countrie. You gotta give them some credit for that...

I couldkeep on writing, there are so many things to say, but I guess it´s enough for now...

jkxbox360

[10]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 15
    Against it, always will be.

randan02

[11]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    I'm against it, and always will be. If two countries have a problem with each other, than the two leaders, of those opposing countries should duke it out like men. One on One, to the death.

supercin721

[12]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 30
    hmnut7 wrote:

like most Americans my views on the War against theal-Qaida post 9/11 were get them all, every last one and make them suffer, plus not for nothing but I'm also from New York, they literally hit me in my own back yard. Then around 2003 when after all that time Bin Laden was no where to be found and Bush put pictures of supposed WMD's in Iraq, I knew then we would be fighting a war, and I was against it since that moment.

Freedom isn't free, and we have a military to fight against those who would harm our way of life, but Iraq didn't do anything. Sure we didn't like their leader, but although we didn't like them there are leaders all around the world who are far worse. South Korea is more likely to have WMD's, some 50-80% of Africa is run by Warlords, we have no control over the Drug lords who run the governments in South and Central America, the Former Soviet Union's stock pile of weapons including Nukes are mostly unaccounted for, and we still don't have Bin Laden. There are more than enough places in the worldfor us to put the military to good use.

As an American and a New Yorker I still want Bin Laden, I still want al-Qaida, Bush owns me their heads on a plater. I did not want Iraq I did not want Saddam, that's his war not mine.

I support our troops, I think there is nothing more honorable than a person who is willing to defend his/her country not only with their actions but also with their life. It is because I care so much about them that I don't want them to risk their lives for a meaningless war.

You have put into words my sentiments exactly.