NBC kills Studio 60?

Muerz

[1]May 15, 2006
    • level: 5
        Did NBC already kill Studio 60 by placing it head to head against CSI???
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

optimizt

[2]May 15, 2006
    • level: 9
    I don't think they're trying to kill it. I think they're trying to help it by putting it between their big comedies ("Earl" and "The Office") and their major drama ("ER") on their biggest night. Sandwiching it between comedy and drama makes sense, given Sarkin's style. And if the show's good, which it will be, it will be able to hold its own. "Will and Grace" did fine there. They could have but it on Tuesday or Wednesday as a lead in to "Law and Order" or "SVU", but its lead in would have been either another rookie show or a reality show that has a different target demographic.

TheVertMan

[3]May 15, 2006
    • level: 41
    This is their highest profile slot and is being positioned as the networks next great drama. CSI is sliding and NBC feels with a little more heat from the other nets that slide will get more severe next season. Look for Studio 60 to draw a little of that audience away.

Muerz

[4]May 15, 2006
    Well, according to CSIs ratings, it still is not sliding... at least not when compared to the housewives and Lost...

RoxieVelma

[5]May 15, 2006
    • level: 60
    TheVertMan wrote:
    CSI is sliding

Not really. CSI has averaged between 24-26 million for each new episode, which is not much fluctuation from their last season.

TheVertMan

[6]May 15, 2006
    I think it was season 4 that it was tv's number one show and then last season (04-05) it slipped about 4 percent in ratings and when the final numbers come in for this year I expect a similar slippage. I may have overstated it as a slide, but it has peaked as all series do. Who knows Studio 60 could be NBC's without a trace, the show that toppled ER.

Muerz

[7]May 16, 2006
    Well, I'm seeing no bright future for this Sorkin drama since ABC announced their move of Greys Anatomy to the same time slot.

CSI will be number 1, Greys Anatomy number 2 and Studio 60 number 3 in ratings. The three shows will cannibalize each other...

optimizt

[8]May 16, 2006

Muerz wrote:
    Well, I'm seeing no bright future for this Sorkin drama since ABC announced their move of Greys Anatomy to the same time slot.

CSI will be number 1, Greys Anatomy number 2 and Studio 60 number 3 in ratings. The three shows will cannibalize each other...

OMG!  ABC did what with Grey's?  I just looked at the abc press release for next fall, and I think they're trying to kill Grey's, and/or hope that it's so stong it can handle that shift, a lousy rookie lead-in, and provide a good lead-in for a show they hope will be able to stay.  But that's not the point.  We're talking about Studio 60.  Totally agree that they're going to kill eachother.  But it won't stop me from watching/taping them both.

TheVertMan

[9]May 16, 2006
    well even with two potential powerhouses in the same time slot, there's still plenty room for a growing new hit. Look at wednesday at 9, Idol, lost and criminal minds all three worked just fine so who's to say that CSI, Grey's and Studio 60 can't deliver to. Very interesting scheduling. Good luck to csi now.

Diogo22

[10]May 16, 2006
    • level: 15
    I think NBC is putting too much faith on this new show. sure it is Sorkin, and you could not find a bigger fan of both his tv shows than me, I garantee you. love'em all. but on the other hand, I must be realistic. this is not the west wing! this is sorkin, but at the same time it's not Martin Sheen, nor John Spencer, nor a behind the scenes look at the white house...those little things made the show too. now, although having read the pilot script for this show I found it extremely funny, it's "only" a behind the scenes look at a variety live comedy show. like I said... it has Sorkin, which is a stamp of quality in any tv show... but its far from being a hit that's equiped to go against the number 1 scripted show in america from the get go. they should test it first on a less competetive time slot first. just my 2 cents

FanWriter

[11]May 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    CSI's ratings are sliding. In the beginning of the season, the series was making 27 to 29 million viewers each week, then during midseason, the show slid down to 23 to 25 million viewers each week. Only in the recent new episodes has it increased. Its still a powerhouse and the #1 scripted show, but its getting weak. I think both Grey's Anatomy and Studio 60 will hurt it.

And like someone posted above, it will likely be CSI at #1, then Grey's Anatomy (but not off by much) and then Studio 60 in the #3 spot.

TheVertMan

[12]May 18, 2006
    FanWriter wrote:
    CSI's ratings are sliding. In the beginning of the season, the series was making 27 to 29 million viewers each week, then during midseason, the show slid down to 23 to 25 million viewers each week. Only in the recent new episodes has it increased. Its still a powerhouse and the #1 scripted show, but its getting weak. I think both Grey's Anatomy and Studio 60 will hurt it.

And like someone posted above, it will likely be CSI at #1, then Grey's Anatomy (but not off by much) and then Studio 60 in the #3 spot.

Welcome to the forum FANWRITER, it's nice to see that someone has been paying attention much like I have. I too agree that Grey's and CSi will no doubt do a larger audience than Studio 60, but make no mistake as I said, there's plenty of audience to go around on tv's most watched night. I look forward to that first Thursday night battle.

gcfan77

[13]May 18, 2006
    • level: 4
    With the hype that the show has recieved...I see NBC moving it if they need it to. I think that having all that talent in one place will work. I also think this why the TIVO was invented! Seriously, CSI, Grey's and Studio can work together. (Well, I hope they can)

marymoss71

[14]May 18, 2006
    I think S60 had a shot against CSI but against CSI *and* Grey's?? There's no way it can go against 2 top ten programs. But I think NBC will move the show before they cancel it.

aliasfanjay

[15]May 18, 2006
    • level: 6
    Diogo22 wrote:
    I think NBC is putting too much faith on this new show. sure it is Sorkin, and you could not find a bigger fan of both his tv shows than me, I garantee you. love'em all. but on the other hand, I must be realistic. this is not the west wing! this is sorkin, but at the same time it's not Martin Sheen, nor John Spencer, nor a behind the scenes look at the white house...those little things made the show too. now, although having read the pilot script for this show I found it extremely funny, it's "only" a behind the scenes look at a variety live comedy show. like I said... it has Sorkin, which is a stamp of quality in any tv show... but its far from being a hit that's equiped to go against the number 1 scripted show in america from the get go. they should test it first on a less competetive time slot first. just my 2 cents

sadly, I agree. I love Sorkin, The West Wing was great (RIP). The only thing going for this other than his involvement is the fact that its probably more accessable to a larger audience than The West Wing was. But going up against CSI and Grey's Anatomy is a big deal. Both those shows are huge, and while should be enough audience to go around, more often than not something has to get left out in the cold.

Coming off such a huge show, stars and showrunners dont normally dont have a lot of success. But I'd definatly weigh in my support with this - anything is better than CSI or Grey's.

doyn

[16]May 18, 2006
    • level: 10
    Don't forget Smallville! My drug of choice on Thursdays.

Diogo22

[17]May 19, 2006
    • level: 15
    with what happened on CSI this week you can bet fans are gonna tune in when it comes back in September. they've been waiting for what happened for 6 seasons. I fear for the future of this show up against CSI, unless of course William Petersen leaves after threatning to so many times. this might have a shot than. I hope is succeeds though, and the other thing studio 60 has going for it is that NBC has NOTHING better to put on its time slot, because they are in the proverbial crapper, and will probably let this run the full season, if it doesn't succeed at first, and I hope it does succeed

gcfan77

[18]May 19, 2006
    • level: 4
    I really hope that NBC moves this. It's better for them to be cautious then stupid! Grey's and CSI are gonna own Thursdays. Here's hoping NBC pulls their head out and makes it happen.

TheVertMan

[19]May 19, 2006
    I would suggest a move to Monday or Tuesday @ 9 if NBC decides to make a move at all. Not sure wat would replace Studio on Thursday but Kidnapped, the new tuesday drama seems a likely fit.

FanWriter

[20]May 19, 2006
    • level: 7
    If NBC moved Studio 60, then I think they should change the schedule to this:

Monday
    8:00- Deal Or No Deal
    9:00- Heroes
    10:00- Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Wednesday
    8:00- The Biggest Loser
    9:00- Medium
    10:00- Law & Order

Thursday
    8:00- My Name Is Earl
    8:30- The Office
    9:00- 20 Good Years
    9:30- 30 Rock
    10:00- ER

Or... they could just always take the risk and leave it where it is... but it would be a rather large risk.