NBC kills Studio 60?

optimizt

[21]May 20, 2006
    • level: 9
    I read somewhere that Sorkin had a clause in his contract about where in the schedule Studio60 could be. I don't remember all of the details for sure, but I remember it couldn't be on Fridays or Sundays (and maybe not Mondays either) or on before 9PM/ET. That leaves some narrow time. But I also don't think that they are purposely setting it up to fail - they've put too much money into it for that, so it'll last at least through a season. Though I wouldn't be surprised by some schedule shifting (both by NBC, and by ABC with Grey's, because I don't think Grey's will work on Thursdays) in the mid-season when they inevitably cancel the new flops.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lingctus

[22]May 21, 2006
    • level: 10
    it seems that everybody considers Grey as a great show, i cant figure out why, dont get me wrong, i still watch it, simply because DH sucks more, but compared to ER, which is one of the most brilliant shows in american history, Grey is just a clown, Grey put too much stoyline on the ralationship of those doctors, kind of like medical version of the O.C, those executives from ABC got fooled by the ratings and place Grey against CSI which is suicide. on the other hand, NBC is smart, they create a huge buzz for Studio 60, and the fact that they place it against Studio 60 is one topic most talked about, aint you curious to see why they put Studio 60 against CSI,LOL

evdogg87

[23]May 22, 2006
    • level: 12
    lingctus wrote:
    it seems that everybody considers Grey as a great show, i cant figure out why, dont get me wrong, i still watch it, simply because DH sucks more, but compared to ER, which is one of the most brilliant shows in american history, Grey is just a clown, Grey put too much stoyline on the ralationship of those doctors, kind of like medical version of the O.C, those executives from ABC got fooled by the ratings and place Grey against CSI which is suicide. on the other hand, NBC is smart, they create a huge buzz for Studio 60, and the fact that they place it against Studio 60 is one topic most talked about, aint you curious to see why they put Studio 60 against CSI,LOL

You are right, Grey's Anatomy is not ER, and it is not trying to be. It was trying to be a different medical show that does focus on the relationships. Maybe you don't like that and that is fine, but that is why I do like and other people too. I think Grey's will take a chunk off CSI and it will probably lose some viewers too, but suicide? Definately not.

Anyways, I read on the TV Guide website today that they are planning to move Studio 60 to Monday probably or somewhere else.

optimizt

[24]May 23, 2006
    I, too, read on E! that Studio60 might move to Mondays and put Scrubs, which was renewed but not on the schedule, on Thursdays. Mondays would be better, except that CSI: Miami is on at 10. But still, one competing show is better than two.

marymoss71

[25]May 23, 2006
    optimizt wrote:
    I, too, read on E! that Studio60 might move to Mondays and put Scrubs, which was renewed but not on the schedule, on Thursdays. Mondays would be better, except that CSI: Miami is on at 10. But still, one competing show is better than two.

That's true. Plus, they were planning on competing with CSI anyway which was the # 1 ranked show on TV, so Monday whould definately be easier.

TheVertMan

[26]May 26, 2006
    • level: 41
    I bet we can count how many smart moves NBC has made in the last 3 to 5 years or so on one hand

eclipse86

[27]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 4

WOW, there is a lot to comment on here. First, NBC has been falling ever since they lost FRIENDS, they tried to keep some of those fans with Joey and that flopped, and they are now looking for Studio 60 to do the same. Why else would they have put in such big names like this? They are attempting to get the FRIENDS/Chandler fans back, the WW fans and the Sorkin fans back. I admit that is a lot to ask out of one show, but we shall see how it goes. Friends seemed to start a bad trend in NBC, first Friends was gone, then Frasier, then Will and Grace, then the West Wing, which left them with Scrubs and ER, which have been struggling for a long time.

I think that Studio 60 could hold its own against CSI and Grey's, it is a different show and will attract a different audience. CSI attracts the older mystery novel types, Grey's attracts the doctor, ER types, and Studio 60 will take in the comedic types. I say this because I had no reason to watch tv on monday nights until Studio 60, CSI and Grey's just don't interest me. But putting Scrubs against Grey's is asking for suicide, Scrubs is not as strong as it used to be and Grey's is a huge thing now, it will kill Scrubs!

Diogo22

[28]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 15
    CSI doesn't atract only older people, it's number 1 scripted show, it attracts pretty much everybody, or at least a big part of each demographic...they even got that low life smoocher kevin federline doing a guest spot next season...

eclipse86

[29]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 4

My sypathies go out to all CSI fans who have to endure Federline next season.

I was referring to older people watching it because I know no one my age (20's) who watches that show, I only know that my grandfather watches it religiously and my parents on occassion.

JenJen130

[30]Aug 30, 2006
    • level: 11
    eclipse86 wrote:

I say this because I had no reason to watch tv on monday nights until Studio 60, CSI and Grey's just don't interest me. But putting Scrubs against Grey's is asking for suicide, Scrubs is not as strong as it used to be and Grey's is a huge thing now, it will kill Scrubs!

Grey's and CSI are both Thursday at 9, while Studio 60 is on Monday's at 10. Scrubs isn't coming back untill mid-season and will probably end up Wednesdays @ 8. NBC put Deal or No Deal agaisnt CSI and Grey's which is probably a smart idea though I don't understand how people actually like the show or Howie Mandel.