NOT Cancelled! Rumors of death greatly exaggerated

Glenn11523

[1]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 18
    The best news I have had all week!

http://www.tv.com/story/6990.html?tag=headlines;title;0&om_act=convert&click=news

First they quote that miserable piece from Fox and the claims that the show will be quickly cancelled.

Now, NBC has refuted that story, saying the show is still
    profitable and that the network will give it at least a little while longer. Media
    Daily News
    says NBC is frustrated by the decline of Studio 60's ratings,
    but that the show brings in affluent viewers that advertisers care about.
    Therefore, the 7.7 million viewers the show earned last week is OK--for now.

So the show has a solid chance to keep the viewers it has and add new ones!

Kudos to NBC for giving a quality show the opportunity it needs to establish itself!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Diogo22

[2]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 15
    it is, however clear, that it's not the fault of the show that it doesn't find a good audience there, because the figures were roughly the same for both FNL and S60. it's the fault of it's oponent CSI: Caruso style. pretty much any new programme you put against that will tank, and I'm not sure that even older shows would do much better. it's a bad popular show! but a solid piece of Caruso (yes with an SH and t). Now NBC has 3 choices

- be satisfied with the low, but upscale 8 million viewers it brings in
    - find it a better timeslot
    - risk cancelling this, and putting another more popular show against it (which is not possible because in terms of good numbers NBC only has heroes, and that is already on Monday.) the shows that attract the masses are now on ABC and CBS or as I like to call it See BS

tjaman

[3]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 32
    * clicky *

numb3rschick

[4]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 7
    Thank goodness. And to those who want it gone - don't rain on our parade - we finally have good tv. You've made my day by dispelling the rumors.

scottieGGGG

[5]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 16
    more news that S60 is sticking around..

NBC Universal CEO Robert Wright has denied reports that Aaron Sorkin's Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is about to be canceled. In an interview with FoxNews.com's Roger Friedman, who originally quoted insiders as saying that the show was about to be yanked from the network's schedule, Wright said such a move was unlikely because "We have too much money invested in it. ... I think it will go on." From Studio Briefing on imdb.com

phatty_jr86

[6]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 11
    Check this out:
    http://www.tvsquad.com/2006/11/01/kevin-reilly-fighting-for-friday-night-lights-studio-60-30-roc/

NBC chief Kevin Reilly likes this show and wants to see it do well

Penafo

[7]Nov 1, 2006
    • level: 4
    Well ... I'm not American, so I'm not really aware of the rate policies that networks have over there. But it seems to me, that rumours of a cancelation of a show with this kind of quality are just plain stupid.

Ok ... i've been reading that 7.7 million people watching it (in the US alone) is bad, but I also read that the time slot this show got on NBC was kind of bad to start with!

It is my belief that with time this show will get more and more viewers because it's quality is beyond questioning. Give Studio 60 a break! The show has quality... quality creator, director & actors!

tjaman

[8]Nov 1, 2006
    I will just point out that "Medium" has, in the past, picked up boffo ratings in the exact same spot.

JoeyBro

[9]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 3
    NBC has sunk to new low. Trying to keep Studio 60 or making us think they will despite how it has performed and how much it is costing them. NBC has now officially become FOX. FOX held on too many shows that wouldn't make it on other networks like NBC like Arrested Development. Like I said before NBC will try to save face until the bean counters on Madison Avenue say drop the dead weight or else! They even said that S60 might be kept around as losing leader if it keeps a 18-49 rating of 3 or better. It appeals to upper income bracket that appeals to advertisers. So called more intelligent crowd. THis gets worse and worse. S60 could be the next Alex Rodriguez. Can hit the baseball when it doesn't count like S60 does whatever it does well, but no one cares. Both Alex and S60 have huge contracts, but no winning hits. The Yankees, George Bush and NBC have the same disease. Give it up. S60 cast, crew and producers better hope for a miraculous turnaround or a quick death and hope they don't  become laughing stock charity cases year after year.
    Edited on 11/02/2006 12:57am

tjaman

[10]Nov 2, 2006
    Shoo.

JoeyBro

[12]Nov 2, 2006

Well student. I have to continue. First amendment you know protects speech you do like as well as don't like.

Anyway this maybe all political. NBC execs know if they let Studio 60 go they sign there own pinkslips. Stall tactic. So grandstanding to save face and hope they can let go Studio 60 in their own time and with less fanfare is more desirable without incurring the wrath of their bosses because PR disaster. They just wanted to refute stories of immediate cancellation by FOX news. Maybe they will change the timeslot and phase it out slowly esp. if it gets any lower. Maybe when sweeps are over they will make their moves barring a miraculous comeback. Delaying helps because maybe something from a prayer will happen to get the attention off Studio 60 maybe some other NBC shows can balance out the books and media coverage. Heroes is one, but the only one and it made sharp contrast to S60 because it was its lead-in. Maybe if Heroes worked some time else, studio 60 could have excuses. Execs know Studio 60 was a do or die choice. They let it go now, then those losses will be final and no more potential to be recuperated any time in future esp. not on DVD, syndication....etc... They might as well resign.

Execs(Corporate lackies) in todays Entertainment suck. They won't take chance on anything or anyone. They will give chances to people who have proven before, but not necessarily if they have any creative fuel left. Some are has-beens, but because they are names they can get the money and produce crap. Someone had to take a chance on them when they started, but now no one is re-investing that money to get the new Sorkins. They just want the whatever they think will make money again and again. They just want to play it safe and go with the resumes even if they maybe has-beens. There is big hole not being filled by new blood or if they are new they aren't worthy or they are corrupted by money, the rest are has-beens. Oh by the way to illusrate my point there is sequel to the movie Bruce Almighty starring Steve Carell(Evan news anchor from last movie) where God orders him build an Ark in modern times. Enough said.

guytwo

[13]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 7
    Remember "Cheers" of the 80's? It was a slow starter also and turned out to be a big hit. I hope NBC has patience (again) because I think S60 will be the same kind of hit -- eventually.

JoeyBro

[14]Nov 2, 2006
    Cheers was good and just needed a time change behind Cosby Show. Studio 60 already is behind the best show NBC has right now Heroes. So S60 is not Cheers. Sorry.

tjaman

[15]Nov 2, 2006
    And I already explained why that might be in the FNL thread.

osustudent06

[16]Nov 2, 2006
    • level: 5
    Funny thing is, as soon as I typed it, I wanted to say JoeyBro and others have every right to complain. My only question is why take the time to do it?

Also, if the show is still generating a profit (which it is), has steadied its ratings (which it has), and still has the potential (which it does), then it should be left on the air. Studio 60 fits all three categories. If ratings drop, so long. If they increase, and the show still makes a profit, then it will stay on. Common sense? Sure. But, at the end of the day, it will be the ratings, and not the rants of JoeyBro, myself, and the rest of us that will decide the fate of any show.

Glenn11523

[17]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 18
    JoeyBro wrote:
    Cheers was good and just needed a time change behind Cosby Show. Studio 60 already is behind the best show NBC has right now Heroes. So S60 is not Cheers. Sorry.
    Flawed argument in that the demographic audience for the Cosby Show and Cheers was damn near identical.  The same is completely not true for Heroes and Studio 60. 

You have a right to your opinions, and I for one am happy to dialogue with you about them.  I feel compelled to point out though, that you often come off as angry.  If not angry, then perhaps bitter would be a better description, or even irritated.

This does tend to make me wonder a couple of things.  First, are you even still watching the show?  Second, what happened to make you feel such disdain for the show, NBC, and Aaron Sorkin? 

If you are still watching the show, I confess complete surprise, for any show worthy of the amount of criticism you have levelled against it, would have me already long gone.  For the sake of argument, we'll assume a level of intelligence here that says you have given up on the show, no longer watch and don't like it.  I could seriously "get" that and respect it. 

So, you're done watching, but you take the time to come and post copious amounts of criticisms and negative opinions.  Assuming another level of intelligence that says that you are not simply one who adores the sound of his own voice, then what motive can we ascribe to the effort you go to to make yourself heard?  Were it not for the attitude/anger mentioned above, I would say it is for urging improvement in the show, for stimulating interesting and productive dialogue. 

Yet, as I review your postings, I'm confess, I can't find that.  I find flawed arguments (that, again, you are more than welcome to make), I find a writing style that seems irritated at best, flaming and provocative at worst. 

Back to the point of you having given up on watching the show, I guess we won't be hearing as much from you in the future.  After all, your criticisms can hardly hold any serious weight going forward if you are not tuning in to see what happens.  If you are still watching, then you are indeed a mystery to me as to your character and motivations, however, I would never want to be a part of silencing a voice of dissent for any of those reasons, so JoeyBro, Rock On Dude!

JoeyBro

[18]Nov 3, 2006

Well Glen, I take your invitation. It is the hypocrisy of this show. IT talks and talks about changing TV, but doesn't walk the walk. Crazy christian sketch is only aired on the fake show, not the real show. Do what you're preaching. People who laud this show for being witty and brilliant are being snowed by style. It says Matt Albie is genius comic writer, but they allow the subpar sketches so far to represent him. Then Harriet ultra christian character sounds so without merit because she is on a show that makes fun of them. Whole romance has no believability to it at all. Compare Matt and Harriet chemistry with McDreamy & Meredith chemistry. Plus You knock your socks off is not up there with You complete me or Here's looking at you kid.

Then I sum up with the posts about these executives who are killing us with programming that makes Studio 60's message seem painfully ironic. Networks make lots of money, but do they re-invest that money into making the next generation of hits. No they re-invest it in the samething that made money before. CHances had to be taken on Cheers, Cosby Show, Friends... So they think lightning strikes the same spot hundreds of times? It's about having a sense, not cents. So more reality shows begets more reality shows because executives have no senses or they are bottled up by money. 

Sitcoms are probably dead because they became so expensive with Cheers, Raymond, Seinfeld, Friends...making profit margins smaller with the high salaries that no executive would even want to have successful comedy anymore. Dramas are less character driven thus lower salaries. Of course reality shows have even less overhead. They may have killed off the comedy because of the cost. Studio 60 premise rings empty in this world of sell outs. Then Studio 60 sells out its own premise by being as hypocritical. Do Good TV as well as talk about doing good TV.

Well if you still think they are doing good TV despite what I've said then your entitled to your opinion. Rock on yourself!    

penny2summers2

[19]Nov 3, 2006
    • level: 2
    Just so happy it's not cancelled!!  I was panicked when it wasn't on this week.  I don't live in the US so am at the mercy of Americans on whether I'll continue to see the show- please tune in!!  There are so few good shows on the air anymore- do we really need another "reality" show or primetime game show?  Let's face it, the networks make that crap because it's cheap to produce, and idiots will watch it to escape their own miserable lives or dream of what they'd do with the money.  I've even seen some comments that Studio 60 makes viewers feel stupid because they don't get all the references.  Gees, you've obviously got web access- look it up!  Does PBS have the lock on educational programming in the US?  (Granted, pop culture references may not be considered "educational" by some people.:wink

tjaman

[20]Nov 3, 2006
    "Studio 60" has raised questions in the course of its run that are not raised anywhere else on television, JoeyBro. Topics like reality television is melting our brains. Everything Judd Hirsch said out loud in 1x01. Interest groups have a disproportionate impact on what airs, and networks are traditionally cringing cowards in the face of them. Focus groups are not especially useful. It takes guts to support quality programming over crap. And smart might not always be funny but it's more interesting. Also, people have fought and died so other people have the right to make fun of our leadership. And people in this country have lost their jobs for writing comedy.

And "Studio 60" has raised all of these issues while developing interesting and nuanced characters and following a coherent dramatic plot structure.

So ... popular it ain't, but you can't tell me it's hypocritical.

It's the one show out there that's talking about this stuff. That's not hypocrisy. That's righteousness.

Edited on 11/03/2006 3:52am