Official Discussion Thread - "Nevada Day (1)" (Spoilers)

VillaFan

[1]Nov 4, 2006
    • level: 43
    Please discuss the episode "Nevada Day (1)" in this thread. These threads will appear each week to prevent topics repeating themselves on the forum.

Episode Summary

Studio 60 staff must travel to Nevada to free Tom from jail in time for the show. Meanwhile, a judge who doesn't care for the show complicates matters.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Obaida

[3]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 9
    Wow. That was a fantastic episode. This was my favorite one so far. Damn this to be continued business! I really don't want to wait until next week. Not used to cliffhangers with this show.

SnarkBC

[4]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 8

Wow.  This show is starting to find a good footing again.  Very strong episode.  Anything John Goodman touches is gold.

Jahrod

[5]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 12

I must admit, I never liked Steven Weber (Jack) much, but in this episode he was great. He gave his character real depth and was quite funny. :-)

This and John Goodman made it a well above average show.

stellagonzales

[6]Nov 6, 2006
    i'm dissapointed. What I enjoyed most iwas the writers room and production challanges. This episode has drifted away from the studio itself. Personal life of the characters does not interest as much as their proffessional life. So I am not interested why Tom was speeding..., I just want to see him perform another sketch.

osustudent06

[7]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 5
    I haven't seen the episode yet, but I think character development is needed. Also, the actual sketches have not been that funny. That said, if you look at the sweeps material on tv.com (http://www.tv.com/story/6718.html?&page=4), issues on the development of the show and problems involving the writing room are coming. Hopefully the show will make it to the end of the month ...

Diogo22

[8]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 15
    NO, hopefully the show will make it through the end of many months to come. that's what we all should wish for.

osustudent06

[9]Nov 6, 2006
    haha, yeah ... I'm hoping it makes it for many YEARS! I'm just betting if we get through the end of the month, we'll be on here in 2010 debating if the show should keep going.

AprilFox

[10]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 111
    Definitely above average episode! John Goodman is the King! WOW!!!!!! I still think Steven Webber is a weak link, would have loved to have Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) in that role. Webber is a little too weak and unbelievable.

Dodger221980

[11]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 4
    This was genius. John Goodman was "god" and this episode shows how much potential this show has.

tjaman

[12]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 32
    I'm really loving this.

jkxbox360

[13]Nov 6, 2006
    How did you guys already see this? Isn't it just airing?

Lexivy

[14]Nov 6, 2006
    jkxbox360 wrote:

It airs on Sunday in Canada

Glenn11523

[15]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 18
    jkxbox360 wrote:
    Studio 60 airs in Canada on Sunday nights, ahead of the NBC feed to the US.  For those of us who have to rely on downloading the show (I'm a Canadian living in China) we take the first posting online we can to see the show. 

I thought that the show lacked some real teeth this episode, the entire Chinese business side-line did not ring true to me at all, however, after having lived here for the past 3 years, I can understand the reasons.  By the way, the line about the "only Chinese billionaire" could not be more wrong.  While wealth in western countries is like a football (very few, ultra-poor at one end, very few ultra-rich at the other, large middle-class in the center), wealth in China is like a barbell (very large amount of ultra-poor at one end, relatively few middle-class along the center and very large amount of ultra-rich at the other).  You will see when the 2008 Olympics hit Beijing and you all get a glimpse of where I live for now.

John Goodman was great in this role, but I found the episode disjointed.  It didn't flow like I am used to, but it had some truly hilarious lines.  My personal favorite was "you brought assasins?"

It seems clear that they will get Tom and Simon back in time for the show, this means that the Chinese guy will have to fly in a reverse direction (since they won't have time to take his daughter back to school, and him back to Macau).  My guess is that she gets such a VIP treatment at the taping that the deal goes through after her father is impressed.

The gay thug" angle with Harriet was a bit over the top.  And if the event really was captured on video camera it should back up the threatening nature of the encounter.  Still, from my recollection, Tom did shove first (making first physical contact), it will probably cost him some $$.

I like Steven as Jack and I liked this epsiode.  I am confused why Danny just flat out told him what was going on with Jordan.  Jordan has shown she is on Danny's side, she has backed him and tried to be a friend.  She is the one that got him and Matt back to Studio 60 and apparently there is pre-existing bad blood with Danny and Jack, so why would he just up and come out with it all?

I'm reserving final judgement on this episode until I see part 2.  I admit it has my interest and was over-all well done, but it also has the potential to wash-out. 

I'm glad they did not go forward with the Jesus Christ as Head of Network Standards sketch.  It was not shaping up to be all that funny and the whole thing has been done before in various forms.  Interesting why Jack was so adamant that it go on the air in the police station, even in the face of the judge he is supposed to be trying to ease things over with. 

osustudent06

[16]Nov 6, 2006
    The pacing of this episode did feel a bit different - even slightly off. But, after editing out the commercials on my computer, I noticed a few things.

1.) The episode (w/credits and preview) was exactly 43 minutes long. Not too much longer, but they normally aim for 42 minutes. I remember Sorkin in a WW commentary saying something about one of the season premiers being stretched into two episodes - wonder if this happened here.

2.) The timing was off. Some commercials lasted about a minute and a half, others for five minutes. I guess some stretches were just longer than others.

3.) It'll happen when there's interlacing between past and present; and, even more when leading to a second part.

Still a solid episode, though!

kila177anja12o

[17]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 23
    I hate "to be continued" episodes, but I love this show. wonder why tom was speeding?

SnarkBC

[18]Nov 6, 2006

Hate the idea that Tom had a reason to speed.  Why do these people have to be so perfectly flawless?  Are Chris Farley or Will Ferrel this clean?  Nope.

I loved John pretending to be a backwater hillbilly and then slamming it in their face.  It really took the Ohio thing and turned it on its head.  Matt freaking out next week should be entertaining.

yukichigai

[19]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 7
    I found the episode interesting, if annoying for being a 2-parter.  However, there's something I absolutely, positively have to bring up, but first a little backstory.  I live in Nevada, and one of the odd little hangups we Nevadans have is how you pronounce the state name.  If you live in this state you sure as hell had better pronounce it "Ne-vaa-dah"; there are only three types of people who pronounce it "Ne-vah-duh": newscasters, tourists, and politicians who, coincidentally, never win an election in this state after they pronounce it "Ne-vah-duh".  This little hangup extends to TV shows; I know several people who hate CSI because the actors portraying members of the Las Vegas crime lab (or residents of Vegas) say the state's name "wrong", and literally for no other reason.  This is why I have to applaud NBC for how they handled that little issue.  Sure, everyone in the Studio 60 regular cast said it "Ne-vah-duh", but the only Nevada resident in the episode who said the state name said it the "proper" way: "Ne-vaa-dah".  That's realism.  It's one of those "little touches" that makes the show believable.  Well, vaguely believable.

Finally, before I go I know someone will bring this up: yes, the entire state knows that technically "Ne-vah-duh" is the correct way to pronounce the word.  The thing is, Nevada is the last of what's left of the Wild Wild West: we really don't care.

pinklavender

[20]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 23

This show just gets better and better and although I agree with the comments that John Goodman was King here, the rest of the team are still hot and ones to watch!  There were some great one liners and a great opportunity to expand the characters.  The show definitely needs the time to become a great classic and I don't why this could not run and run with strong network committal. 

Questions to be answered:  was the reason Jeter was speeding for an embarrassing reason or dramatic?  Why was he driving through this place anyway if his family come from somewhere completely different?  Legally can Jeter be charged for carrying a joint if it was the police who forced him to cross the county line?  Here in the UK we don't have that issue - you just get busted!!  Therefore can Simon be charged with admitting to the joint if said joint had already been sent across State?  And who bets the Chinese man speaks English?  Plus ends up in the brothel??

More please ...!!