Official Discussion Thread - "Nevada Day (1)" (Spoilers)

Ayn_Ilial

[21]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 20
    I'll be the first to admit that I haven't been terribly complimentary
    when it comes to this show, however, this episode was what I had been
    waiting for. This is why I kept coming back. Hoping to get hooked in.
    The more I learn about the characters, the more invested in the show
    and the more I enjoy it. John Goodman, as many have mentioned, was
    wonderful and I am really starting to like Jack. He can't help that he
    is the "bad guy" in the sense that he is the corporate guy and must
    keep his distance and oppose the show on some issues. Great insite.

And the best part of the episode. I loved when Danny asked the new writer where everyone was. "Are you trying to pitch me a sketch?"
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dodger221980

[22]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    SnarkBC wrote:
    I loved John pretending to be a backwater hillbilly and then slamming it in their face. It really took the Ohio thing and turned it on its head.

God I loved that part

bill__b

[23]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    yukichigai wrote:
    ... Finally, before I go I know someone will bring this up: yes, the entire state knows that technically "Ne-vah-duh" is the correct way to pronounce the word. The thing is, Nevada is the last of what's left of the Wild Wild West: we really don't care.

You say you don't care, so why post about it at all?

Further, the trouble with phonetic spellings is that the components you used can be pronounced too many ways. I'll have to go back to the show to hear what you're writing about. But isn't it useful to have an easy way to identify the tourists? You'd be and even wilder wild west without them!

rickumali

[24]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 2
    osustudent06 wrote:
    The pacing of this episode did feel a bit different - even slightly off . . .

3.) It'll happen when there's interlacing between past and present; and, even more when leading to a second part.

Still a solid episode, though!

I too felt the show was disjointed at the beginning. In fact, I felt frustrated the first fifteen minutes, because I didn't know what was going on. It was only until the show began to unravel itself through the flashbacks that the episode began to click for. By the end, I was completely into it, and I must agree with others here that this is one of their stronger episodes.

rickumali

[25]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 2
    Ayn_Ilial wrote:
    . . . John Goodman, as many have mentioned, was wonderful and I am really starting to like Jack. He can't help that he is the "bad guy" in the sense that he is the corporate guy and must keep his distance and oppose the show on some issues. . . .

I loved John Goodman as the cranky judge. I'm a huge fan of The Big Lebowski, and when I first saw that it was Goodman, I half expected him to put down a bowling bag, so he could pull out a firearm. "Jeter! You're headed for a world of pain!"

Jack's character was more fleshed out, and I thought he had some funny lines. Being the pushy big-wig from out of town was high hilarity. "How about a new boat? Would he be happy with that?"

Diogo22

[26]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 15
    "CSI: Miami," 10.6/17, claimed the lead for CBS at 10 p.m. The CMA Awards posted a 9.4/15, and NBC's "Studio 60" came in at 4.8/8.

a 3rd for the night due to the stupid country awards

jbgans

[27]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 3
    AprilFox wrote:
    Definitely above average episode! John Goodman is the King! WOW!!!!!! I still think Steven Webber is a weak link, would have loved to have Alec Baldwin (30 Rock) in that role. Webber is a little too weak and unbelievable.

actually jordan is a weak link..er at least..she seems too young, and not professional to be in the position she is in on the show. i dont mind the actress, just wrong casting.

osustudent06

[28]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 5
    I'm thinking those ratings are slightly down over two weeks ago - at least with the overnights. Hopefully this is more due to the awards show than what we all fear.

Diogo22

[29]Nov 7, 2006
    of course it is due to the awards. ABC would not have won the night overall if it didn't have the awards. let's not forget that, usually that network broadcasts "What About Brian", and thankfully there are less people who want to know what about him, than watch studio 60

SWERJ321

[30]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 19
    Have to admit things were better than I expected like the CSI line and I loved how Goodman threw the show's own arrogance and prentious nature in their faces. And the sketch actually worked on several levels with the line "Yeah, I was stoned and cruicified but it really hurts the most when people say my name." This is what Sorkin should be doing, making the good points with teh drama instead of just getting on the soapbox and going too far (Like Tom's parents).

SWERJ321

[31]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 19
    Have to admit things were better than I expected like the CSI line and I loved how Goodman threw the show's own arrogance and prentious nature in their faces. And the sketch actually worked on several levels with the line "Yeah, I was stoned and cruicified but it really hurts the most when people say my name." This is what Sorkin should be doing, making the good points with teh drama instead of just getting on the soapbox and going too far (Like Tom's parents).

TeaCake911

[32]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 6
    "The gay thug" angle with Harriet was a bit over the top. And if the event really was captured on video camera it should back up the threatening nature of the encounter. Still, from my recollection, Tom did shove first (making first physical contact), it will probably cost him some $$."

I totally agree. I do believe, however, that the cops who arrested Tom gave him the impression that the thing was just a routine bust, and that the gay thug didn't have a leg to stand on because of the video showing that Tom was coerced/defending Harriet.

"Hate the idea that Tom had a reason to speed. Why do these people have to be so perfectly flawless? Are Chris Farley or Will Ferrel this clean? Nope."

Considering that Simon had a joint of weed in his jacket, that Danny had prior heroin addiction problems, that Jordan's been arrested /divorced before, and that Matt regularly goes to strip clubs, I don't see these people as flawless at all. Not sure where you're getting this idea.
    Edited on 11/07/2006 12:08pm

TeaCake911

[33]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 6
    BTW-- GREAT EPISODE. Jack's character was priceless during the phone conversation scene, and on the plane with Simon with the whole "watermelons" joke. John Goodman = comic god (Comic Jesus' dad).

charlo31

[34]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 8
    The hardest part about this episode is the little town they are referring to... Pahrump... Cracks me up. I am from there and I know it is only fiction for the TV show, but it was cracking me up! We actually have a pretty big town, and the sheriff's office definetly doesnt look like Andy Griffiths home town station. One other thing, if our town is so "small" and obviously on the show it is almost all dirt roads, I wouldnt have said speed limit was 65 and he was going 120. The town speed limit is 35 on the main road and that is paved!

Did enjoy watching it though, although, definetly made me feel like I was back watching Barney Fife...

Enjoy Episode 2, probably will watch again.

pbrallstar

[35]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 1
    I'm joining this discussion late, so I'm sorry if I repeat anything...

Much better episode. The Wrap Party was just a mistake to fill space. I really think Sorkin picked up on the hints that his writing has gotten lazy and he wrote a great story for Nevada Day 1 and, I assume, 2.

On another note, how can NBC hope a smart hour-long dramedy can compete with a ratings superstar like CSI: Miami? It's better than Thursday at 9pm (against CSI, the OC and, of course, Gray's Anatomy) but maybe a move to Tuesday or Wednesday in an earlier time slot would do the show well. Just my thoughts.

osustudent06

[36]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 5
    "NBC had a typical Monday in the overnights care of Deal or No Deal (#1, 9.5/14), Heroes (#1: 9.7/14) and Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (#3, 6.2/10), which featured guest star John Goodman. Comparatively, Studio 60 built from the week-ago telecast of Friday Night Lights (5.7/ 9 on Oct. 30) by 9 percent in rating and one share point, but retention out of Heroes was just 64 percent." ~ from: http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/newsletters/proginsider/index.jsp

So, not too bad of a night considering ABC probably temporarily took away some viewers. Being able to build from the week before, when there were repeats on the other networks, is a good sign. See, numbers can be interpreted in many ways!
    Edited on 11/07/2006 1:23pm

yukichigai

[37]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 7
    bill__b wrote:
    You say you don't care, so why post about it at all?
    Sorry, I meant "we don't care" in the sense that "we don't care how right you are, you're wrong."

Of course, by the same rules of pronunciation the rest of the states use "Texas" should be pronounced "Tay-haas". I think we can all agree that's wrong.

As far as the pronunciation, lemme 'splain: the issue is the middle vowel. Most of the actors pronounced it with a long a, more like the "o" in "otter". The way Nevadans pronounce it is with a short a, like the "a" in "apple". Make sense now?

EJamison

[38]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 17
    I don't know anything really about the extradition process, but I would think that you can choose to fight it and that would delay it.  Even if you don't fight it, I can't imagine it happening this quickly.  Maybe it will be explained in part 2, but I can't imagine that it will be an explanation that makes sense. 

alosvbb

[39]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 8

Anyone else feel that Sarah Paulson isn't getting enough credit for her role?  This is probably one of the best developed christian characters that I've seen on TV in years, not a stereotypical character that doesn't take offense to everything yet deffends their beliefs.  Plus the fact that the character is played by an out actress just adds more the development.

Toast033

[40]Nov 7, 2006
    ok, so if this has been already mentioned, some forum nazi is going to yell at me for restating it... But im confused, does anyone know why Tom was speeding... it looked like Simon knew but Tom stopped him from saying.   anyone