Official Discussion Thread - "Nevada Day (1)" (Spoilers)

frenzy175

[41]Nov 7, 2006
    • level: 11
    thats what part2 will be for Toast

The episode does kinda jump back and forward but after the second ep it will all fall into place knowing sorkin AKA shadow of two gunman in WW
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Dodger221980

[42]Nov 8, 2006
    • level: 4
    frenzy175 wrote:
    thats what part2 will be for Toast

The episode does kinda jump back and forward but after the second ep it will all fall into place knowing sorkin AKA shadow of two gunman in WW

Let's get surprised. It must be strong stuff because why else would Tom stop Simon from telling the truth?

Dink-n-Flicka

[43]Nov 8, 2006
    I didn't like this one as much as the other episodes but it was worth it for Jack's soliloquy about how the networks are not run by Liberals but rather by giant corporations. I have been shouting this from the rooftops for years but it is just such an easy conservative response to blame the "Liberal media". http://www.thenation.com/special/bigten.html

numb3rschick

[44]Nov 8, 2006
    • level: 7
    Another good episode. Kudus for using John Goodman, a very talented actor who always surprises. I like the ongoing intrique of not knowing everything and enjoy watching those left behind at the studio. This show does not dissappoint.

efx2junk

[45]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 1
    If I recall to one of the cast parties in the first few episodes, Simon is talking to two gorgeous ladies who snuck into the party. They obviously look like they have loose inhibitions. Simon quickly excuses himself, bring Tom over, and Tom give him a HUGE thank you gesture. Before I get to my theory... I enjoyed the way Sorkin introduced a topic in the beginning of a West Wing episode, danced around it with one storyline, circled back to the same topic with another unrelated storyline and then hit you with a K.O. by tying it all together. I believe the gay bashing storyline with Harriet has a lot to do with the reason Tom Jeter was speeding through Pahrump, Ne-vaa-dah (no I don’t live in the state). The cast party scene hints that Tom likes women, but also hints at Simon doesn’t like white bread… or is gay.

Simon and Tom’s bond is unusual and the show hasn’t had the time to develop that storyline yet. Just as Simon was protective of Tom at the diner and when he was arrested with his jacket… I think Tom equally protects Simon’s secret of being gay Simon tried to have him explain why he was going 120 MPH. My theory is Tom was protecting Simon by driving 120 mph (with Simon in the car) to evade gay bashers” or to protect his secret. If I’m wrong about Simon being gay I hope that my theory regarding the reason being associated with the gay bashing is correct! If it is… I will sign up for the “Sports Night, West Wing, Studio 60 Association of I watch too many Sorkin TV Shows…”

osustudent06

[46]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 5
    That's one of the more thought provoking posts I've seen, efx2junk. Simon's character being gay would not be a surprise with the connections and storylines you point out. I just wonder how easily that will tie into driving 120 MPH. Still, nice thoughts.
    Edited on 11/09/2006 5:23pm

Glenn11523

[47]Nov 9, 2006
    • level: 18
    efx2junk wrote:
    If I recall to one of the cast parties in the first few episodes, Simon is talking to two gorgeous ladies who snuck into the party. They obviously look like they have loose inhibitions. Simon quickly excuses himself, bring Tom over, and Tom give him a HUGE thank you gesture. Before I get to my theory... I enjoyed the way Sorkin introduced a topic in the beginning of a West Wing episode, danced around it with one storyline, circled back to the same topic with another unrelated storyline and then hit you with a K.O. by tying it all together. I believe the gay bashing storyline with Harriet has a lot to do with the reason Tom Jeter was speeding through Pahrump, Ne-vaa-dah (no I don’t live in the state). The cast party scene hints that Tom likes women, but also hints at Simon doesn’t like white bread… or is gay.

Simon and Tom’s bond is unusual and the show hasn’t had the time to develop that storyline yet. Just as Simon was protective of Tom at the diner and when he was arrested with his jacket… I think Tom equally protects Simon’s secret of being gay Simon tried to have him explain why he was going 120 MPH. My theory is Tom was protecting Simon by driving 120 mph (with Simon in the car) to evade gay bashers” or to protect his secret. If I’m wrong about Simon being gay I hope that my theory regarding the reason being associated with the gay bashing is correct! If it is… I will sign up for the “Sports Night, West Wing, Studio 60 Association of I watch too many Sorkin TV Shows…”
    Great theory!  Probably elements of it are in fact going to come out.  Makes me wish I'd thought of it.

guytwo

[48]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 7
    In a hurry to file a gold mine claim? Being chased by UFO's ? It's one or the other I'll bet.

quigley_lib

[49]Nov 11, 2006
    • level: 13
    I wondered if Tom wasn't speeding to get to see his brother before he shipped out to Afghanistan.

bill__b

[50]Nov 12, 2006
    quigley_lib wrote:
    I wondered if Tom wasn't speeding to get to see his brother before he shipped out to Afghanistan.

From Nevada? Wouldn't Ohio have figured more prominently in his brother's departure?

quigley_lib

[51]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 13
    bill__b wrote:
    quigley_lib wrote:

From Nevada? Wouldn't Ohio have figured more prominently in his brother's departure?

I don't know, probably. That's just what popped into my head. Especially with Simon's tone when he said to just tell them why.

BigRedNev

[52]Nov 15, 2006
    • level: 22
    Didn't want to post this outside of the Nevada episode spoilers, even if it is slightly off topic.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/nevada/219-pahrump.html

bill__b

[53]Nov 15, 2006
    Thanks for the impetus to go look at a map of Nevada. I haven't seen part2 yet, but now I wonder what could have been the reason to be that far off the I15 major route to L.A.? Of course, I don't know what direction the speeding took. Maybe they were going TOWARD I15 when caught. And, as the previous post's link shows, there is not a lot of THERE there in Pahrump. Curious though that one of the major roads is the same as my street address. . . . . .