We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Official Discussion Thread - "Nevada Day (2)" (Spoilers)

VillaFan

[1]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 43
    Please discuss the episode "Nevada Day (2)" in this thread. These threads will appear each week to prevent topics repeating themselves on the forum.

Episode Summary

Jack pleads with the local Nevada judge (John Goodman) to free Tom so he can make it back to the Friday night show. Meanwhile, tension heats up between Matt and Harriet on the set.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

headmonkeys

[2]Nov 12, 2006
    • level: 7
    Since I'm in Canada I had the fortune of seeing this episode tonight. And I gotta say this show just keeps getting better and better, and I'm one of the ones who loved it from the beginning. I'm a little irked that Nate AKA Tom has been getting so much air time, not that I don't like him as he is in fact a great character, but I just want to see a little more of everyone each episode. It is an ensemble drama is it not?

Anyways, Jack had a great night tonight and I'm glad that he's warming up a little. And watching this episode maked me miss the Matt and Danny banter that was so great in the first episode, I'm glad they had some time together in this ep. The only downside is that it wrapped up a little quickly. They kept us in suspense for two episodes only to settle the whole 'Will Tom make it back in time?' thing in like the last 5 minutes. Granted they had a nice story to tie it all up and together, but it seemed rushed and kinda out of place.

Also, and this goes a little more with the discussion of last weeks ep, I'm glad that they finally made another funny sketch. I've found the other sketches they wrote to be witty, or sharp, or biting, but Jesus as the head of the FCC was awesome, and that sketch along with the 'We are the very model...' sing along from way back were fantastic. This is easily the best show I've seen in the last 5-10 years.

pursuedbybear

[3]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 28

Another Canadian viewer here, and this episode is terrific. The writing constantly amazes me. The dialogue is sharp, funny and insightful. The characters continue to grow in new and unexpected ways (I'm looking at you, Jack) and the stories are warm, human and intriguing. The lead characters are wonderful and I want to invite them all to dinner. But what truly impresses me is the way the supporting characters shine as fully developed characters in their own right. The translating, Tom Jeter obsessed Kim was delightful enough in part one, but I loved her even more this one. And John Goodman's judge is so well drawn that he could easily be spun off into his own series. But who expected such new discoveries about supporting comedian Dylan or Lucy the writer? Hopefully we see more of these folks. Simply outstanding.

Congratulations to NBC for committing to a full season of Studio 60. It's going to be a fun and exciting journey.

ebanutik

[4]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 8
    I Agree with everything written above. All the other episodes were good, but this one was really special. It was like a truly great hour long movie. When it ended i just wanted to watch it again & had that magic movie feeling inside me...

headmonkeys

[5]Nov 13, 2006
    Is it just me or were the scenes with Lucy hillarious? Sad cause poor her and all, but hot damn when she was crying and trying to tell a story I couldn't stop laughing.

Buffy5x5

[6]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 4
    I missed the reason for Tom speeding and why he was let go. What happened? Thanks in advanced.

frenzy175

[7]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 11
    His little brother is stationed at an air force base in the area Nealess(sp?).
    He was about to ship out on his third deployment and Tom was speeding to get there in time to see him off.

semi quoting the show

Judge:His brother is in the 820 red horse squadron, they go into war zone and build things really fast . Hospital in 3 days.
    Judge:This isn't his first tour
    Tom: its his third
    Judge :s ee he just playing Russian roulette now with multiple tours. He didn't want his little brother last act on this earth to be getting him out of speeding ticket.

andcat

[8]Nov 14, 2006
    thanks frenzy, I didn't get that either

soldierzwife143

[9]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 10

This episode was awesome. IMO, I have never seen John Goodman do such an outstanding job. I loved how he portrayed his character. Having been to Afghan. and having a husband who has been there twice, I have to say this episode hit close to home. Sometimes when I watch this show, I have to rewind it, cause I think I might not be too smart when it comes to understanding what they are talking about. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE this show, but some of the things just go right over my head.

numb3rschick

[10]Nov 14, 2006
    Can't say much than I totally agree with everyone. There was a lot to this episode and was a perfect mix of drama and humor. The scene in the diner was so funny; especially the paintball thing. John Goodman is a very unappreciated actor and just shined in this episode. In the end he made a great point to everyone and I loved how they resolved it. Sorkin just improves every week.

rickumali

[11]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 2
    Great part two to "Nevada Day."

Amanda Peet got off some great lines in this one. I hope she gets to stay despite Jack's foreshadowing. Her discussion with Ed Asner was really funny (paraphrasing):

Wilson: "You know what Mark Twain used to say?"
    McDeere: "Thar she comes; lean into that pole, Jim!"
    (pause)
    Wilson: "A rumor will go around the world twice while truth is just getting its shoes on."
    McDeere: "And much more germaine to our discussion, sir."

rickumali

[12]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 2
    headmonkeys wrote:
    Is it just me or were the scenes with Lucy hillarious? . . . when she was crying and trying to tell a story I couldn't stop laughing.

Then Danny Tripp comes in and translates what she says for Matt Albie. That was really funny!

luv0817

[13]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 6

This episode really spoke to me, in more ways than one. First of all, Harriet's perdicament with the whole 'quote' thing, I completely got the first time; people should know by now that the media is always trying to stirr up trouble. As a born again Christian and someone who wants to be a producer, I relate to Harriet's character; I see through her eyes a lot of the time.

How much did I love the end where Matt finally spit out what was wrong. It was so unbelievably sweet and it was like, "FINALLY", he admitted a few things: 1) He didn't know and 2) That he wanted to be the one who was there for her

John Goodman did an awesome job as the judge; I've never seen him in a role like that and it really impressed me.  

Jack's speech about the honour of his people made me cry... seriously. It was like he finally said everything he'd been wanting to say.

Diogo22

[14]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 15
    well.. ratings are in. again, a distant second for the hour, behind the best showing ratings wise of CSI: Miami

"CSI: Miami" scored a 12.2/20, the night's biggest audience, for CBS at 10 p.m. "Studio 60" drew a 5.0/8 for NBC, topping ABC's "What About Brian," 4.1/7.

people don't really seem to wanna know much about Brian, despite it's recent renewal for the season.

panzan

[15]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    frenzy175 wrote:
    He was about to ship out on his third deployment and Tom was speeding to get there in time to see him off.

OK, thanks for that. I couldn't understand the dialogue. That's the problem with Aaron Sorkin productions sometimes. Cleverness and speed can seem to be more important than ennunciation. So one other question - what was Tom wearing on his wrist?

JoedelCast

[16]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 1
    So how did the judge figure this out?

BigRedNev

[17]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 22
    frenzy175 wrote:

semi quoting the show

Judge:His brother is in the 820 red horse squadron, they go into war zone and build things really fast . Hospital in 3 days.
    Judge:This isn't his first tour
    Tom: its his third
    Judge :s ee he just playing Russian roulette now with multiple tours. He didn't want his little brother last act on this earth to be getting him out of speeding ticket.

Ah now I understand.  Couldn't quite get the drawl, being on the other side of the Atlantic. 

Series is really building.  Hope to God it starts getting the viewers.

Great to see Edward Asner back as well, if only for a few lines.  Not sure he'll like being called Ed on the credits though.

KappaPsi

[18]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 9
    Tom was wearing a bracelett that said his brothers name, rank and home fort... the prosecutor told him about it... upon inspection the judge (presumably a military man) knew what his unit did and decided to let him off...

on another note, did anyone else feel like John Goodmans character was like when he played speaker of the house on west wing and took over as president. crazy situation going on, judge is the man in charge, type of guy sorkin usually makes fun of but comes through as the voice of reason, and has a good heart?

not saying i didnt like the preformance, cuz i thought he was great. i just thought it was kinda funny someone above had said they hadnt seen him in a role like that and the first thing i thought of was him in west wing when i saw he was the judge last episode....

SWERJ321

[19]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 19
    Okay, my NBC station for some reason cut out all sound so I missed teh entire Harriet/Jordan conversation at the beginning. WHat'd I miss?

SWERJ321

[20]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 19
    Okay, apparantly, the audio went out the entire damn episode after Jordan and Harriet started talking! Man, I was so looking forward to this! Guess I'll have to catch the rerun on Bravo.