Official Series Finale - "What Kind Of Day Has It Been" (Spoilers)

VillaFan

[1]Jun 26, 2007
    • level: 43
    Please discuss the episode "What Kind Of Day Has It Been" in this thread. Thank you for participating on the "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" forum here at TV.com

Episode Summary

The long night for Danny, Jordan, Tom and Simon comes to an end as Matt and Harriet start a new beginning.
    Edited on 06/26/2007 9:46pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Drewchic

[2]Jun 27, 2007
    • level: 9
    VillaFan wrote:
    Please discuss the episode "What Kind Of Day Has It Been" in this thread. Thank you for participating on the "Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" forum here at TV.com

Episode Summary

The long night for Danny, Jordan, Tom and Simon comes to an end as Matt and Harriet start a new beginning.

I can't believe it's the end...wow....from the very beginning I loved this show and I wanted it to pass. I remember the first episode being just really well-written (especially at the beginning like the opening scene) and I thought "This has to be a success" but for some reason people kept tuning out. Why? Maybe because of how slow it was and yes it was slow but really I loved it. I loved how original it was (has there ever been a television show that ever week after week went behind-the-scenes of a sketch comedy show?) and now everyone's saying "series finale" so it's like "Wow....that's it....already" and it's not just season probably because it has been officially canceled by the network.

dl115

[3]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 5
    Will the show conclude? or it will be a season finale with unanswered questions?

osustudent06

[4]Jun 28, 2007
    Watch and find out ...

It should conclude ...

pinklavender

[5]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 23
    How can they possibly cancel this show? It has just gone from better to bestest ever! What were the network people thinking? You can not get better scripts than these! Better and funnier lines do not exist! This is quality writing - to the network I say - What is wrong with you people??? You obviously wouldn't recognise talent if it slapped you round the face! Step closer ... you SO need slapping to let this gem go! I just love this show and it pains me that this is it ... it is all over!

jkxbox360

[6]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 15
    I admit it did start maybe a bit slow, but this show is everything I ever wanted -- a behind the scenes at a TV show, which is what my current job is. So it was cool to get another point of view.

osustudent06

[7]Jun 28, 2007
    A GREAT last episode with a GREAT last quote:

"I'm gonna make a friend out of you yet .... "

RainB4Rainbows

[8]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 7
    Wow. I just finished watching the episode. It was the best and most touching ever. The commercial breaks were so well timed. I cursed them each time as I waited to find out what happened to Jordan and the Brother. Sigh. Damn NBC!! I love this show. Bring it back!

lolokjuik

[9]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 2

I love this show. I believe I will crawl under a rock and cry now as it passes. I got so depressed when Danny turned off that light in the studio. And Matt's clock...I remember the first time it reset and Matt had that look of defeat on his face.

I miss you, Studio 60.

One thing is for certain. Whatever Aaron Sorkin does next, my DVR will be the first one set for it.

osustudent06

[10]Jun 28, 2007
    lolokjuik wrote:

I love this show. I believe I will crawl under a rock and cry now as it passes. I got so depressed when Danny turned off that light in the studio. And Matt's clock...I remember the first time it reset and Matt had that look of defeat on his face.

I miss you, Studio 60.

One thing is for certain. Whatever Aaron Sorkin does next, my DVR will be the first one set for it.

Well, if you are a Neilsen home, then you'll need to do more than DVR it unless the way they calculate ratings changes!

KappaPsi

[11]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 9
    awesome episode!!!! sad to see it go but glad it was a quality ending!!

Trustyj

[12]Jun 28, 2007
    • level: 10

That was fan-frakin-tastic! I hate to see this show go but it was so awesome to actually have an ending to a canceled program. Imagine how much better this show would have gotten if it were given any kind of a shot. It's a shame that more of our fellow Americans don't appreciate REAL talent and GENUINE entertainment. The writing, the acting, the directing and the casting was all absolutely perfect on this show. Like I said, it's truly sad to see it come to and end so soon but thanks to TPTB for letting them (sort of) wrap things up. Excellent!

thefbz

[13]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 6
    I am glad they were able to bring us a conclusion, it's a shame the show was cancelled.

OpWo45

[14]Jun 29, 2007

I SO loved this show... some of the best writing on television ever... I USED to consider Monday night just about my favorite night for television... sigh

NBC what on earth are you thinking?If the television gods have any brains left in their heads from all the reality tv beatings they've been getting they will find a way to bring this show back!

the Christmas show and the K & R episodes went way beyond simple 'entertainment' - they found their way into television history as the most thought provoking, poignant, moving material aired in decades

thank God there is still the History Channel, network is losing me

sean2evo

[15]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 8

Agree with what you all said

Loved the show so much, amazing cast/acting, lovable characters, incredible writing and directing... Sorkin is my idol and you just gotta thank him for making the series finale such a nice goodbye for the fans, happy endings and the feeling that the characters will go on.

NBC are idiots for canning such an incredible show, it will probably win a lot of awards, even though it didnt attract the ignorant masses who would rather watch some new reality show it still pulled in people with college education and incomes in the six figures... the people who are getting sick of all the crap on tv, i think its so ironic that this show which was about exactly that got cancelled cos of lack of ratings... if i had a few spare hundred million dollars around i would have happily fitted the bill to see more of this show and im heartbroken to see it gone

Edited on 06/29/2007 2:07am

slkrebs

[16]Jun 29, 2007
    Well, what can I say? A great series, a fitting finale - way too soon, mind, but still, we got to see it after all and I am grateful for that.

MrControversial

[17]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 8
    West Wing finally ended. LOL. This short-lived show had so much potential, but ended being slow and drawn-out. This four episode arc should be only 2 episodes long and in the beginning of the year. Simon Stiles was very annoying with his big brother antics and no real storyline. I liked Danny and Jordan's storyline especially the adoption part. Harriet and Matt are more entertaining apart, but the series ended so why not be together. Finally, I like Jack Rudulph cold and unlikeable. The acting was good, but the writing was repackaged. It was slow at times, but not really going anywhere, and I think that is the real problem. And for a show about comedy, there was not enough comic relief.

osustudent06

[18]Jun 29, 2007

This is the one argument I keep going round and round about: a show about a comedy should have been funnier. Well, first, it is (was) a drama. If you are watching this show just to laugh at the sketches, then you may not have been watching for all the right reasons. All of Sorkin's work looks at the characters. It isn't the behind-the-scenes of a comedy or White House or sports show that garners the main spotlight. It is the characters making it work. Thus, the relationships between Matt and Danny, Jack and Jordan, Matt and Harriett, Tom and Simon, Simon and Darius, etc. that are much more important than whether or not you laughed at Santa being an Internet predator. And, as a sidenote, you can't tell me people don't rush into love. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it doesn't happen or isn't as real.

So, goodbye to a show that was finally finding its stride. Hopefully Sorkin and Schlamme will have a chance to "make a friend out of" the American public yet again.

Edited on 06/29/2007 5:01am

northy666

[19]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 2
    It's a shame that American doesn't understand public service broadcasting. Taking the occasional financial hit on something that is brilliant but perhaps not massively popular is something that just doesn't compute with the US networks.

Long live Aaron Sorkin and long live the BBC. The two of you should meet sometime.

drumm3rjo3

[20]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 4

I've been a fan of the show all season, and the 3 previous episodes have been absolutely fantastic. But I was a little disappointed in the finale. I wasn't expecting the all happy, everything goes right for everyone ending. I thought that maybe Jordan would die, and the brother would live, but Matt & Danny quiting Studio 60 for the 2nd time. As important as the whole athiesm/christian debate has been in previous shows, I thought there would be a little more in the finale than an exasperated 'Thank you, God'.

But all in all, the show did tie up the storyline. Although the finale wasn't my favorite, it was still an excellent series.