Official Series Finale - "What Kind Of Day Has It Been" (Spoilers)

famulan1st

[21]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 15
    Yeah...I was disappointed that they did not decide to pick it up. Although the ending was a really happy fairy tale one. Lately there have been too many good shows not being renewed. I just want to know as to what do the network execs base their decisions of keeping or dumping a show?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

drumm3rjo3

[22]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 4
    Network execs base their decisions on the same thing as any other profit business exec - profits.
    Edited on 06/29/2007 7:43am

louisms

[23]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 13
    Up to a few weeks ago, I was pretty much ready to say goodbye to Studio 60. But the last few episodes have been so good that I'm now really sad to see it end. At least in went out with a suitable final story arc. Too many cancelled shows end too abruptly with a less-than satisfying last episode. I'm gonna miss Studio 60.

aaronandjenn

[24]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 2
    I am so sad to see it go. I mean yeah they started out alittle slow, but the end was oh so good! I think they had a wonderful show starting they just needed alittle help to get started. I hope the network will consider bringing it back for another season. I think they are throwing away a hit. I think they final was very good and so was the story. With tom and his brother, that really hit home with alot of people! I will miss this show very much. It was one of my favorites.

louisms

[25]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 13

I think the main problem with Studio 60 early on was that Sorkin was best when dealing with situations of great import and gravity- real crisis stuff. As funny and light-hearted as a lot of his stuff was, it was in the portrayal of great drama that he really shone. A show about a comedy show simply didn't have the inherent potential for really gripping drama that West Wing did. It was hard for the viewer to care enough about the sort of fundamentally insignificant crises arising on the set of the show- so the drama seemed a bit forced at first.

That's why the last few episodes were so great. A kidnapping and a health crisis provided the kind of gravity that allowed Sorkin's great talent to surface.

pursuedbybear

[26]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 28
    Damn it. An elegant, emotional and superlative close to an elegant, emotional and superlative series. I'll miss the gang of Studio 60, but I loved the ride this season. Aaron Sorkin obviously knew the end was coming and orchestrated a finale worthy of a Broadway show. Although I was expecting a touch of tragedy in the end, I'm still happy that we left all the characters in a happy place with the possibilities of a positive future for one and all. Congrats to everyone on the show. Thanks for the memories....

microscan007

[27]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 5
    Yeah, I am truly sad it ended too. Man, I can't believe the network can be so blind in picking the shows to cancel. This is the best written show on the market...but now it is no more. Way to go NBC, way to go. A real keeper. I hope you remember this decision when the question is raised why our TV is so violent and dumb, and the moralists blame it all on reality shows. Well, yeah, they are partly to blame but by getting rid of the clever shows - guess what, it aint helping at all.

ramymedhat

[28]Jun 29, 2007

Studio 60 is a great show, its a wonderful show. And NBC is the most stupid network I've ever seen. Didn't they already have the last couple of episodes before giving it the axe? How could they see this art and still choose to cancel it?

By the way, I don't know if its just me, but I love LOVE the way the background music magically turns into the STUDIO 60 title on the beginning of the last couple of episodes, I mean its just art. Aaron Sorkin is great, and the show proves it all the way.

Could they by any chance put the show back on? Or is it final? I promise you they're gonna put 5 new shows that will all get cancelled, and probably they deserve it, and they'll never get something like Studio 60 again. The characters are so well done, from Mathew Perry to Bradley Whitford to Steven Weber playing Jack Rudolph.

The show actually invites the intelligence of the viewer, because most characters are smart, and they want smart people to understand them. It doesn't depend on regular old morons for humor but depends on smart comments.

I love Heroes, but it doesn't have that take Studio 60 does, that taste, that fading music in the Intro . So NBC shouldn't depend solely on Heroes and Realities which Globally suck.

rick_skywalker

[29]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 10
    It's nice to read so many good comments about the show, i genuinely love Studio 60, I originally watched it for Matthew Perry, but quickly grew to love 95% of the characters, i really enjoyed the whole premise of a behind the scenes sketch show. There are just so many more things that could be done, another 3 or 4 seasons of ideas at the least!

Studio 60 will always be one of my favourite shows and i hope they release a DVD boxset with lots of extras which i can buy to show my support.

Synetech

[30]Jun 29, 2007
    • level: 22
    I’m glad that they had a chance to wrap it up properly. When I checked epguides.com and it didn’t have all the episodes listed, I was worried that it would end in a cliff-hanger.

I’m satisfied with the ending. With a proper ending, a cancelled show becomes a nice, neat, little packa-guh. That way, it’s worth buying on DVD because it’s “complete”.

taylorman_23

[31]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 8

I didn't even think it was slow in the beginning; I loved the show right from the get-go. TV viewers seem to be so fickle in that they want something that'll grab their attention like 24 or similar, when a show like this was so much more about the dialogue and the characters themselves. Fantastic writing throughout, extremely likeable characters (even people like Jack Rudolph, who you went from disliking to admiring). I agree that the show reached its peak during the last 4 or so episodes; absolutely phenomenal. Maybe the finale was a tad fairy tale-ish, but it was a great episode nevertheless.

All in all, I can think of about 80 more TV shows I'd rather see cancelled than this one. I'm really sad to see it go, as it was one of the few shows on TV that didn't cater to your average King Of Queens-watching moron. Great job, Sorkin, and the entire cast.

Bule1101

[32]Jun 30, 2007

Great episode! Made me even more sad that it was the last one.

Studio 60 is one of those shows where You can really live it with them... There is no other show on TV that had such good interaction between the characters! It was always the best thing about Sorkin, how he makes us care about thecast andhow he makes the relationship between the cast the focus of the show!

I just loved it, and I am still not giving up hope that the Production Studio will be able to sell Studio 60 to another network! I will keep my fingers crossed!

jo_idnew

[33]Jun 30, 2007
    • level: 15

I really liked the ending. I loved having all the key players on stage celebrating at the end, but I do think something bad should have happened, too. Nothing can really work out that perfectly. Maybe Simon, not wanting to apologize and knowing Jack wasn't going to force him in the end, would quit, sort of falling on his sword to save the show.

Or, on a funny note, maybe someone could come in with the ratings and they find out Peripheral Vision Man did better that S60. Yeah, that would have been perfect because we know PVM will tank after an episode or two because it really sucks and we can hope that Matt really will stop taking pills, get together with Harriet, and go back to writing great material. I think that would have been the perfect ironic bad thing to happen.

I was just thinking. They should have had Josh Malina as Jordan's doctor. There's an insidejoke that he kills every Sorkin series. Since they knew it was being canceled, it was the perfect opportunity to bring him on, just for the hell of it.

aleks05

[34]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 6

I loved this show and I really liked the last episode. It was a little to perfect but since the show is being cancelled I liked the way they ended it. I am soooo going to miss it. Never missed a episode.

croaker9910

[35]Jul 1, 2007

Another quality show bites the dust. Its sad to see these well written being passed only because of numbers - I would think that if reviewers (such as us) are willing to give it a chance, networks should give it a chance. Look at the X-Files - they lasted for 9 seasons even though inthe first season it got horrendous reviews.

I'm going to miss what what happens with the gang - if Simon suffers any repercussions about his heartfelt feelings about the war - Jordan and Danny's relationship, Matt and Harriet - not to mention Matt's addiction problems. A show like this also brings up nostalgic feelings for me for Everwood which was another show I thought died well before its time.

nunomfilipe

[36]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 32

It is sad to see this one cancelled. It was a great show, smart and fun story and great cast. However, I guess the general audience of TV shows did not like as much...

BigRedNev

[37]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 22
    jo_idnew wrote:

maybe someone could come in with the ratings and they find out Peripheral Vision Man did better that S60.

That would have been good. Sad that it's gone but now that I've seen the last episode it ties up nicely.

kila177anja12o

[38]Jul 1, 2007
    • level: 23
    i think NBC built a lot of hype for Studio 60 and were just really disappointed when the ratings didn't hit their expectations. Some of the best tv, for me, are the ones that I just fall into and not the ones that are promo'd for six months with how great it is.

Kalah_

[39]Jul 2, 2007

Good episode. Not the best, but good. Good finale.

I especially liked the rounding up bit in the end with all the cast members. Jeannie saying to Andy that it's his lucky day made me laugh. And a nice touch having Danny turn off the lights before he leaves.

Edit: Just noticed that Whitford did the directing...

Edited on 07/02/2007 4:26pm

Glenn11523

[40]Jul 12, 2007
    • level: 18

I was a huge fan from the start. Check back and you will see that I was also a very big supporter of The West Wing.

I am going to say some things now that might get me pounced on by others, but they are my opinion and you don't have to share it.

Aaron Sorkin is arguably one of the most intelligent writers of television to ever come along. He is brilliant at being able to really get a viewer to consider his/her own position on a topic and, while doing so, cause them to question why it is they feel the way they do AND see elements of the other side they may never have considered before.

He creates masterpieces with his work. But not on this finale.

I am so disappointed at the "sell-out" approach he took here. Wrapped it all up in a nice little bow and closed the story arch's in a tidy little way. What a crock!

While I am sure it provided closure for many (and judging by the comments left here it apparently did) it was a huge injustice to the very real and complex characters he started us investing in.

Its over and the finale leaves us feeling like its all been said. Harriet and Matt got together, Danny and Jordan got their perfect little family, Tom got his brother back (and kept his gf), Simon apologised and Jack turned out to not be such a bad guy after all.

What a crock!

I agree that the show picked up some real momentum toward the end. The cast found their "groove" as it were and there was a development that had story-lines that drew us in.

Aaron, knowing the end was coming, you should have wove a brilliant set of circumstances that were so compelling and interesting that following the last few moments of the finale, every viewer should have been screaming mad and demanding to see more. You should have capitalized on the extreme talent of your extrodinary cast and written your best work to allow them to cause us to invest in their characters even more! You should have run the last few episodes like you were picked up for seven seasons and had a story to tell.

Tidy endings be damned!

I'm sorry, I am still a huge fan of what could have been (and should have been) but this was such a disappointment.

As much as I loved the show, after it ended, I felt like it was kind of "ok" since all the biggest questions had been answered.

There's just something so wrong about that.

IMHO

Edited on 07/12/2007 6:02am