Saving The Show Could Not Hurt NBC!

Moebius0405

[1]Jun 14, 2007
    • level: 8

Aren't they the the 4th most watched network (which is sad, cause I do enjoy many shows on NBC), how could keeping this show hurt them? Look how many shows they axed this seasons. Studio 60 was a great show, did it fail because it people don't have those Nielsen boxes? Maybe they could make it a summer show. Jericho was axed and now saved even if only for a handful of episodes. What can this not be saved because sets are down?

I don't want NBC to do Nothing But Cancel (NBC) good television, and put on shows about 20 & 40 yr. old women fighting for one man.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ticktock24

[2]Jun 14, 2007
    • level: 23
    In short, the show was extremely expensive, and the ratings tanked. Keeping the show could make NBC lose more money. It could turn around, but NBC doesn't have the patience to see if it will.

topoopon

[3]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 19

Your point is that with this show they are the 4th watched network? Why keep it? To remain in 4th?

NBC is probably the least worst of the networks in cancelling shows. CBS would've clipped this show after 3-4 episodes. FOX and ABC not much more.

Be glad this was on NBC, and be glad they are showing us all these episodes. As much as I have gotten into this show, it IS an aqcuired and sophisticated taste. Americalies between the left and right coasts, and frankly, the middle would rather watch "Deal or No Deal", "Dancing with the Stars" and "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?"

Edited on 06/15/2007 2:49am

Moebius0405

[4]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 8
    My point is in no way that the show makes NBC the 4th most watched network. That problem is due to people just not tuning in.

Edufonseca

[5]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 15
    I strongly believe that this show would adquire amazing ratings if they had given it more time and more publicity.

Kalah_

[6]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 4
    Publicity? It didn't get enough, with names like Peet, Perry and Whitford? I thought part of the reason it failed was the mass of publicity and pre-hype, and the difference between expectations and reality. It's always easier for a show to be successful when it comes from below; it's easier to meet (and exceed) expectations when there aren't any.

Edufonseca

[7]Jun 15, 2007
    Well what I heard is that the "Pilot" was super anticipated and had loads of publicity, therefore it had amazing ratings. But after that NBC stopped promoting the show and since it came up it seems they don't even tell people it will be on, it's like they want it to die... but if we go and see the ratings the show has been going up every week. Last week's episode had 4.35 million.

topoopon

[8]Jun 15, 2007
    Welcome to summer burn off. With no other shows to watch, now they come. Unfortunately the show is ended and the sets broken down. (Although in the network world 4.25 million still isn't that great.)

This show was kept in the PRIME spot right after Heroes for a long while and could not pick up traction. So I doubt promotion was a big problem. Interest was the problem.

I'd LOVE a second season... but it's not gonna happen. I hope the finale ties up enough loose ends that it seems satisfying.

Beany13

[9]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 7

Putting it behind Heroes was wrong to do in the first place. Heroes is nothing like S60 is, not by a long shot.
    S60 is a intelligent drama with a lot of humor in it. It's a real shame NBC won't continue this show, if it would have been done differently i'm sure it would have turned out v. good.

Edufonseca

[10]Jun 15, 2007
    Heroes is 10% of what Studio 60 is... I don't even understand why people like that show so much.

Anyone knows if the ratings went up this week?

pidge2k

[11]Jun 15, 2007
    • level: 1
    Hereos is my favorite tv show, at least for Entertainment. I have to somewhat disagree. In the beginning, I watched both Heroes and then Studio 60 back to back. I enjoyed the first episode a lot. After the first week, the show got too politically correct with the characters wanting to take shots at the Right. And for being a show that was supposed to be intelligent, what did it really teach us? It did not feel entertaining nor did I feel enlightenment from the show anymore. I think Sunday night would have been a good time slot for the show.

topoopon

[12]Jun 15, 2007
    Actually I am a fan of both. Mondays were a big TV night.

Edufonseca

[13]Jun 16, 2007
    I really wanted to love Heroes, but I can't when half the characters are boring and so plain. There are some really good ones and I think the villain was really good but most of the show is really childish and I simply don't like it.

Bule1101

[14]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 10

Heroes is just another stupid show that will burn out after 2 seasons. It is so shallow and boring... A cross between Smallville and Lost, come on!!!

Studio 60 is on another level, both acting and script... It just makes You think what kind of people watch Tv...

friendsaddict

[15]Jun 18, 2007
    • level: 4
    I hope NBC keeps it. They should move it to Sunday. Here in Canada last fall CTV aired Studio 60 on Sundays and it did really welll! Does NBC even have anything on Sunday nights??

sejbeth

[16]Jun 19, 2007
    • level: 6
    topoopon wrote:

Be glad this was on NBC, and be glad they are showing us all these episodes. As much as I have gotten into this show, it IS an aqcuired and sophisticated taste. Americalies between the left and right coasts, and frankly, the middle would rather watch "Deal or No Deal", "Dancing with the Stars" and "Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader?"

I resent that! I'm from Iowa and i loveStudio 60! Just because i don't by the ocean in a big city filled with smog doesn't make me stupid. It probably actually makes me smarter. Just because the only Iowan or midwestern people for that matter you have to base these ideas on is Radar O'Reily doesn't mean you can stereotype everyone else in the midwest. Stop being so naive!

Edited on 06/19/2007 12:38pm

rogueandkurt8

[17]Jun 19, 2007

The point of the matter is that crappy, superficial reality shows that are all so mind-numbingly similar it makes you want to puke rake in more ratings than intelligent dramas. It sucks, and it makes me sad, but that's the way North America television works. So, while terrific shows like Studio 60 get canned, horribly trashy shows like 'Age of Love' pollute the airtime. I live in wait of a world that appreciates fine entertainment when it sees it, instead of craving the next pathetically shallow installment of 'how low can we sink'. Anyone else hear about that reality show where people compete for an organ transplant? Frankly, the world is a messed up place.

Edufonseca

[18]Jun 20, 2007
    That one you're talking, about the organ transplant was made in Holland and turned out to be fake. They hired actors and their single objective was to get people's attention to the importance of transplants, still it was very bad taste.

I comepletly understand what you're saying rogue, but at least you should be happy that shows like Studio 60, Friday Night Lights or Veronica Mars still have a chance in the US. Here where I live we only do horrible soap operas, even worst reality shows and thankfully to American shows I don't go stupid, for now...

rick_skywalker

[19]Jun 20, 2007
    Bule1101 wrote:

Heroes is just another stupid show that will burn out after 2 seasons. It is so shallow and boring... A cross between Smallville and Lost, come on!!!

Studio 60 is on another level, both acting and script... It just makes You think what kind of people watch Tv...

First off, a cross between smallville (7 seasons, possibly 8 ) and Lost (6 seasons guaranteed) sounds awesome and i don't see how you think Heroes will burn out after 2 seasons when your examples are far beyond that.. However, i do agree that Studio 60's acting and writing are excellent and it shouldn't have followed Heroes as they're too different
    Edited on 06/20/2007 9:03am

topoopon

[20]Jun 20, 2007

sejbeth wrote:
    I resent that! I'm from Iowa and i loveStudio 60! Just because i don't by the ocean in a big city filled with smog doesn't make me stupid. It probably actually makes me smarter. Just because the only Iowan or midwestern people for that matter you have to base these ideas on is Radar O'Reily doesn't mean you can stereotype everyone else in the midwest. Stop being so naive!

I apologize. All i meant to say, and yes it was naive of me, is that middle America is known for it's distaste of "Hollywood values". And this show is all about that. Factor in the whole Neilsen ratings system and its flaws, and you see where I was going. I'll bet anything that this show was more popular on the coasts.