Saving The Show Could Not Hurt NBC!

  • Avatar of darkheart73

    darkheart73

    [21]Jun 22, 2007
    • member since: 08/04/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 12
    In all honesty, Studio 60 was VERY uninteresting in the first half of the season. Although the Pilot was done very well and the few other episodes following that were good, most of the season didn't have a main focus. There was no real reason to watch. It basically had no plot in mid-season. They then put the show on hiatus and after they announced they were canceling the show, they aired 'Friday Night Slaughter' which many believed was a testament to the true strength of the show. After that episode there was a story that would unify all of the following episodes.

    But by then it was useless. It was canceled. People still weren't watching and NBC stopped advertising for a show they knew had no chance.

    What bothers me most is the fact that most shows actually go through the lack of focus in their first season and then they have a powerful finale that gives people a reason to watch next season. Studio 60 had this but the only reason NBC didn't try to hang on to it is because it was costing them just too much money.

    So all of these factors were the reason behind Studio 60's cancellation and it's too late to complain about it now...unless we pull a Jericho on NBC
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sejbeth

    sejbeth

    [22]Jun 23, 2007
    • member since: 08/07/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 194
    topoopon wrote:

    sejbeth wrote:
    I resent that! I'm from Iowa and i loveStudio 60! Just because i don't by the ocean in a big city filled with smog doesn't make me stupid. It probably actually makes me smarter. Just because the only Iowan or midwestern people for that matter you have to base these ideas on is Radar O'Reily doesn't mean you can stereotype everyone else in the midwest. Stop being so naive!

    I apologize. All i meant to say, and yes it was naive of me, is that middle America is known for it's distaste of "Hollywood values". And this show is all about that. Factor in the whole Neilsen ratings system and its flaws, and you see where I was going. I'll bet anything that this show was more popular on the coasts.

    Thank you for your apology and i'm sorry i overreacted. i didn't mean to lash out at you. It's just lately people have stereotyped midwesterns as hillbillies from no where, who would'nt know culture if it bit them in the butt, and in some cases thats true, but no everywhere.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of george91910us

    george91910us

    [23]Jun 23, 2007
    • member since: 06/14/05
    • level: 54
    • rank: Prison Warden
    • posts: 194
    I felt the same way in the 60's when The Beverly Hillbilly's, Green Acres and Petticoat Junction were among the most watched shows. S60 is an acquired taste as were The West Wing and Sports Night.
    Executive Producer Tommy Schlamme was involved with another interesting show on The WB, Jack and Bobby, which wan 13 episodes and was not renewed. I guess it going to be game and reality shows that draw the high ratings.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of sippyber

    sippyber

    [24]Jun 26, 2007
    • member since: 10/29/06
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 4

    From Italy. I love this show so much and I'm very disappointed with NBC which cancelled it. But I'm not in the Nielsen ratings. And honestly, since here too networks areobsessed with ratings, there are so many worthless shows (our "Dancing with the stars", for example) that I prefer to watch movies or Friends again (I was a big fan of it and, after 14 years, makes me still laugh) or some of US shows. We also have good TV productions here but the greatest part of network budgets goes to stupid shows, watched and understood by the greatest part of the audience. There's no effort to improve critical taste, just to sell products to people which don't need them. We (worldwide, I would say) are getting mediocre shows because these are those which can reach the greatest part of the audience, which is lots of buyers. Ugly Betty, Heroes, Jericho... Good shows,nothing more. Lost season 1, House, Grey's Anatomy: very good shows.But Studio 60 is great. Well written, very good actors, wonderful set designing. I didn't like House at first, now it's one of my favorites. Maybe NBC should insist just a bit more and find a better spot for this kind of show. Money invested will come back to the network, a lot of it.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bule1101

    Bule1101

    [25]Jun 26, 2007
    • member since: 07/15/06
    • level: 10
    • rank: Holy Level 10!
    • posts: 324
    sippyber wrote:

    From Italy. I love this show so much and I'm very disappointed with NBC which cancelled it. But I'm not in the Nielsen ratings. And honestly, since here too networks areobsessed with ratings, there are so many worthless shows (our "Dancing with the stars", for example) that I prefer to watch movies or Friends again (I was a big fan of it and, after 14 years, makes me still laugh) or some of US shows. We also have good TV productions here but the greatest part of network budgets goes to stupid shows, watched and understood by the greatest part of the audience. There's no effort to improve critical taste, just to sell products to people which don't need them. We (worldwide, I would say) are getting mediocre shows because these are those which can reach the greatest part of the audience, which is lots of buyers. Ugly Betty, Heroes, Jericho... Good shows,nothing more. Lost season 1, House, Grey's Anatomy: very good shows.But Studio 60 is great. Well written, very good actors, wonderful set designing. I didn't like House at first, now it's one of my favorites. Maybe NBC should insist just a bit more and find a better spot for this kind of show. Money invested will come back to the network, a lot of it.


    Could not agree more!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Edufonseca

    Edufonseca

    [26]Jun 26, 2007
    • member since: 11/14/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 46
    I absolutely love Italy tho, according to Wikipedia it's because of you guys that Veronica Mars is finally being released in Region 2 DVDs. I heard it will be released over there in November or someting, but I'll guess they'll release in other European countries. If you like quality t.v. you should check it out. And what you said about t.v. works for pretty much every country around the world, being Portugal one of the worst... we only do horrible soaps over here... people are plainly STUPID.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Synetech

    Synetech

    [27]Jun 29, 2007
    • member since: 04/26/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,286
    I’d bet that if NBC had put Studio 60 and Black Donnellys together, they would have fit better and both would have survived (sort of like fighting back-to-back).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jo_idnew

    jo_idnew

    [28]Jun 30, 2007
    • member since: 11/06/06
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,180

    Synetech wrote:
    I'd bet that if NBC had put Studio 60 and Black Donnellys together, they would have fit better and both would have survived (sort of like fighting back-to-back).

    I dunno. I never watched Black Donnellys. The advertising made it seem like a ripoff of Sleepers.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Phaker

    Phaker

    [29]Jun 30, 2007
    • member since: 10/12/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 58

    Studio 60's dead. It was an awesome show and the problem was one of expectations. Everyone expected a great new show like the West Wing. We were all addicted from 7 seasons of greatness and then when we got our fix we realized that it wasnt the West Wing but something new, or something old. I am kinda losing my original point but the problem is that Sorkin tried to place the West Wing on the set of Sports Night. And while all three are great shows, I think we have to accept that the show just needed to be funnier.

    Hell the West Wing was funnier than Studio 60 and Studio 60 is set on a late night comedy. It just lacked the Sorkin humor. Sorkin drama, yeah tons of it. Sorkin humor MIA. It was an awesome drama it just needed some jokes to liven it up. Also it needed some one more manic. It needs an Alison Janney to go bonkers every so often in order to keep the audience from slitting their wrists. We need a funny character (CJ Craig), we need an idealist (Sam Seaborn), a realist (Leo Macgerry), and we need a hero (Bartlet). Instead we got a room full of idealists and nothing to fight for. Their sense of moral responisibility, while thought provoking and important, doesnt make a series. One of the best arcs was the FCC/Merger arc and it was didnt involve the central characters.

    The issues Sorkin wants to discuss are interesting but the setting is too finite and too miopic to be worthy of him. But sadly I think he may have broken the bank on shows about government. I hope he writes something else for our consumption, and soon, but I hope he remembers to add a joke from time to time.

    WW episode one CJ falls while on a treadmill. Classic and unsophisticated. Greatness mixes well with slapstick.

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Synetech

    Synetech

    [30]Jul 15, 2007
    • member since: 04/26/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 1,286
    jo_idnew wrote:

    Synetech wrote:
    I'd bet that if NBC had put Studio 60 and Black Donnellys together, they would have fit better and both would have survived (sort of like fighting back-to-back).

    I dunno. I never watched Black Donnellys. The advertising made it seem like a ripoff of Sleepers.



    Actually, it was a “rip-off”—read partly based on, partly inspired by—the true story (which for the record happened before Sleepers, about 100 years before Sleepers).
    Edited on 07/14/2007 11:41pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of PaulC2K

    PaulC2K

    [31]Jul 19, 2007
    • member since: 10/13/03
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 9
    I've only just started watching S60, its just about to start airing here in the UK but its going on a pretty random TV station but getting advertised on their mainstream channel. I watched the whole season through in about 10 days, and loved it, it isnt dumbed down, its intellegent TV for people and i think pretty much the same as most have said, the general public are just not interested in thought provoking TV, they'd rather see more 'Celebrity' junk and god-aweful Reality TV.
    The problem is its the sort of person that sits infront of the TV all day long which gets the highest ranking, and stereotypically we all know what that roughly equates to!

    I have to say that i feel sorry for you guys in the US, for the most part your a big testing ground for big TV shows, and with so many new series there has to be so many that you grow an attachment to only for not enough people to feel as strongly about the show as yourselves and the show is terminated.
    I really enjoyed 'Commander in Chief' which again was on a really random station over here, and although i've never seen an episode of West Wing which may go against this, it seems its pretty hard getting an intellegent TV show going particularly if it questions aspects studio bosses dont approve of.
    As mentioned already, outside the US we may have some equally poor junk TV, however we also get the best of what comes from the US (or what is considered the best).
    On behalf of my nation i wish to appologise for 'Who wants to be a Millionaire' and 'Weakest Link' im not sure about 'Deal or no Deal' that may be one i have to come back and say sorry for

    In S60 theres the Series which is signed up about the United Nations, and sadly i think S60 is similar to that, it may be too intellegent for the American viewer and could possibly pick up better ratings overseas. Maybe thats me being stereotypical of Americans, but as a mass market the appeal apparently isnt there.

    Incidently, regarding the 'set being ripped down' im just a bit suprised nobody has thought that maybe this is all part of the series, afterall they went through saying one day they'd get round to redoing it, so if in the show they're redesigning things, surely its safe to rip the existing set down and put a new redesigned set up wherever they wanted.
    It may well be unlikely, but im just suprised nobody has already said it (i dont think).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of jo_idnew

    jo_idnew

    [32]Jul 23, 2007
    • member since: 11/06/06
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 2,180
    PaulC2K wrote:
    Incidently, regarding the 'set being ripped down' im just a bit suprised nobody has thought that maybe this is all part of the series, afterall they went through saying one day they'd get round to redoing it, so if in the show they're redesigning things, surely its safe to rip the existing set down and put a new redesigned set up wherever they wanted.
    It may well be unlikely, but im just suprised nobody has already said it (i dont think).


    I think you misunderstand. The set has been ripped down, not as part of the plot, but because something else is already filming on their soundstage.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Klarax

    Klarax

    [33]Jul 23, 2007
    • member since: 05/09/06
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 20
    I believe that in the UK it will find a bigger audience... UK People hate reality TV shows in general, in fact the only one people really watch it Big Brother. Other than that the Brithish are into proper show with a scipt

    I also think that british people in general like to have show that they can think about such as Studio 60.

    Although, the show is not on a PRIME channel in the UK. I do believe that it will be recieved better..

    Oh and on a personal note, i downloaded the whole season a few weeks ago and i watched every episode back to back. Enjoyed every single second. I was compeled to put the next episode on soon as one finished. Awesome show. Hope it comes back tbh...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of BigRedNev

    BigRedNev

    [34]Jul 23, 2007
    • member since: 09/20/05
    • level: 22
    • rank: Freak and Geek
    • posts: 392
    Klarax wrote:
    I believe that in the UK it will find a bigger audience... UK People hate reality TV shows in general, in fact the only one people really watch it Big Brother. Other than that the Brithish are into proper show with a scipt

    I also think that british people in general like to have show that they can think about such as Studio 60.

    Although, the show is not on a PRIME channel in the UK. I do believe that it will be recieved better..

    Oh and on a personal note, i downloaded the whole season a few weeks ago and i watched every episode back to back. Enjoyed every single second. I was compeled to put the next episode on soon as one finished. Awesome show. Hope it comes back tbh...


    I take it that your purchased all the shows through I-Tunes... As for your comments on reality tv in the UK.. well, Celebrity Love Island, I'm a Nonentity Get Me out of Here... I could on but I'm feeling nauseous already.

    The show will flop in the UK, partly because Channel 4 won't have the gumption to put it out in a decent slot on terrestrial tv. but also because the British public's taste is the opposite of what you say it is.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of osustudent06

    osustudent06

    [35]Jul 24, 2007
    • member since: 11/07/05
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 131
    PaulC2K wrote:
    Incidently, regarding the 'set being ripped down' im just a bit suprised nobody has thought that maybe this is all part of the series, afterall they went through saying one day they'd get round to redoing it, so if in the show they're redesigning things, surely its safe to rip the existing set down and put a new redesigned set up wherever they wanted.
    It may well be unlikely, but im just suprised nobody has already said it (i dont think).


    I did, in early June. Nice, desperate idea though for both of us.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of supercin721

    supercin721

    [36]Aug 2, 2007
    • member since: 07/28/05
    • level: 30
    • rank: Anchorman
    • posts: 693
    I just don't understand. I suppose it's the type of viewers. Studio 60 found its audience. It just wasn't large enough to make it financially feasible to keep on. And yet, perhaps if we had sent our own "nuts" to NBC, this show could have received a reprieve. I say this not to mock CBS and Jericho but come on! I admit I watch Jericho. Not because it's good mind you...it plays like a really bad tv movie every week. I suppose because I'm a sucker for even the worst tv movie and because I keep hoping the show will live up to its premise, that it will deal with those issues of armageddon in a "real" way, that it will have great writing and developed actors ready to deliver said lines, that it will, point blank, not make me want to vomit at the cheese factor. It didn't deliver the goods until the season finale and even then I was only mildly impressed. And yet, I watch...I know...I'm a walking contradiction and I freely accept that. Still, there must be many out there who love it because CBS changed gears when these fans put the screws on with nuts. For a show like this, with abysmal writing and acting to survive while a show that is intelligent, quick witted, and supported by talents like Whitford and Perry, et al., fails is embarrassing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of heraclesuk

    heraclesuk

    [37]Aug 5, 2007
    • member since: 04/14/07
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 21
    Darryl F Zanuck a very famous America Film producer once famously said "nobody ever lost any money underestimating the intelligence of the american people" before everybody jumps he was talking about Americans in America at the time. I believe you could add "British, Swiss, Mexican, Norwegian etc etc to that statement. What people watch is a very individual thing and like democracy every vote/view caries the same weight. The voter who votes after reading all the programs of the various candidates before he makes his mark counts exactly the same as the voter who votes by just taking the first name on the list whover it is. Somebody mentioned Big Brother personally I cannot stand it but more people voted in it then voted in the General Election here in the Uk. Under a democrat system there views should be recognised just as much as those of us like me who do not like it. I have only just seen the first two episodes of SS60 here in the UK and to say it does not have the impsct of the West Wing is very much an understatement. I will enjoy it if only for the fact of seeing Josh and some of the old West Wing cast.Not a very sane reason I know but see above about voting. The big comment I would make about it is that the subject matter is so trivial a tv show what could be less important. Whereas the WW was about coutries states treaties seeing the dealings or at least giving the hint of what its like to be in power taht for me made it so gripping.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of shriprema

    shriprema

    [38]Aug 8, 2007
    • member since: 06/10/07
    • level: 21
    • rank: Snagglepuss
    • posts: 2,796
    okay, you guys have seriously misunderstood MANY stuff!

    first off, ratings for the show were good. In fact, they surpassed 30 Rock by a long shot! You can clarify with ANY website on this fact. The reason it was axed was primarily (as ppl have pointed it out) due to cost of production and mixed reviews. And yes, i agree it wouldnt hurt NBC to continue running this show...if they limited down some of the ideas. i mean come on guys you've seen the show, the settings, the props, the guest hosts, the guest musical performances and the fact that this show is shown on the day when many ABC hit shows are shown.

    So if some of the ideas were cut down, it would be possible. Secondly, the mixed reviews. As it is evident on this thread, many of us have different views on the show. Thus, for such views, it was cancelled.

    Now Im COMPLETELY against the cancellation. Seriously! I LOVE the show with all my heart. But dont think it was because of the ratings, that it was axed.

    And to all flamers/potential flamers, please bugger off. This thread is MEANT for studio 60 fans and if you dont like it, click the "x" sign on top of the window. If you dont like it, at least have the decency to express your objection properly.
    (ignore message if you're not a flamer)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of luv0817

    luv0817

    [39]Aug 9, 2007
    • member since: 08/03/06
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 47

    The show didn't need MORE publicity, it needed the RIGHT KIND of publicity. When the trailers and tv spots came out for S60 they were making it seem like this lighthearted drama type show headed up by Aaron Sorkin and portayed by Matthew Perry, and Bradly Whitford (who were shown to be these two goof off guys). Instead of taking Matthew out of the "comedy" spotlight, they relished in it and therefore, in a way, misled their audience.

    Okay, yes, people who know Aaron Sorkin should already have known that this wasn't going to be something flighty- unfortunately not everyone pays attention. I honestly don't think it would've killed NBC if were allowed to gain a proper audience and I also think that they pulled the show a little too soon; they saw the ratings and got scared, but HELLO! YOU DON'T PLACE A BRAND NEW (serious) DRAMA UP AGAINST AN ALREADY ESTABILISHED AND V. V. V. POPULAR CSI: MIAMI AND EXPECT TO RECIEVE TOP RATINGS! I do, however, think that Heroes would've still flourished in that 10pm spot,(because it was a different type ofdrama),and they should've put the reality show in the 10pm slot (God forbid!- I'm SO sick of these reality shows!)

    S60 was VERY expensive to finance, but they should've at least picked it up for another season to give it a fair chance. Think about themid-80's when NBC really took off as a network; did they give up on their shows, no? What would've happened if they would've went and cancled Cheers beacuse of the severly low ratings? Not only would we have missed out on 11 years of Cheers, but we wouldn't have gotten Fraiser either. Think NBC, THINK!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of HUGGIESJOB

    HUGGIESJOB

    [40]Aug 20, 2007
    • member since: 10/11/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 133
    I was annoyed when arrested development was dropped , sad when futurama was canned . but im shocked this has been its smart , stylish and different if they gave this another season i reckon it would find its audience and go from strength to strength. why do they axe shows so quickly does anybody remember how big a flop seinfeld was for its first 3 season
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.