Why is this show so visually dark?

borgyborgy

[1]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 1

It seems to add no dramatic nor realistic effect to have every scene grimly dark so one cannot see half the faces; nor does it enhance ones ability to identify with characters.  It has to affect the ratings.  The head guy at CBS mandated that all the shows get lighter visually:  CSI, especially CSI NY (it was that metalic blue green hue that is so cold and forbidding), Numbers (likewise).  They are much more watchable and it is easier to care about the characters than they were..  I am not sure why I should be impressed with the Studio 60 characters tribulations.  It is already a walk of life I don't have much contact with, they seem awfully spoiled and taken with themselves and furthermore they skulk around in the shadows. I'm not the favored demographic but like 'South Park', 'Earl' and watch Comedy Central regularly.   I love each of these actors but you have to make it more inviting instead of keeping me outside so they can have their ongoing inside (not too funny) joke.  Don't want to include me then maybe I don't want to belong.  I will wait it out but am getting bored. 

Maybe they also need some real comedy writers to make me believe it is a Saturday Night live kind of show although I have to confess there were times that SNL's skits were a labored as these but those skits need to be a little more funny and less pretentious to be believable. 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

AlbieHalpert

[2]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 8
    Cause its in a studio with no widows. And they use stage lighting for the cameras.

Seems pretty obvious to me.

osustudent06

[3]Nov 10, 2006
    • level: 5
    Also, the show is a drama, not a comedy. While the show must have funny parts to survive, I don't watch the show for the sketches. It is that different kind of humor, the witty, sarcastic, throw your assumptions back in your face kinda funny that I enjoy, and the show provides it.

I remember the West Wing being slightly dark, but got darker in the post-Sorkin era. Sports Night was bright but it was surrounded by windows in a skyscraper.

If decide not to watch the show because they feel it is too dark, then they probably don't enjoy it all the much anyways. If you really enjoy the show, then something that small wouldn't be a factor.

guytwo

[4]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 7
    borgyborgy wrote:
    It seems to add no dramatic nor realistic effect to have every scene grimly dark so one cannot see half the faces; nor does it enhance ones ability to identify with characters. ...

Call and complain to your local station, it may be a problem there, but some shows are meant to be that way. Ask for the broadcast engineer. The local CBS station here broadcasts a lot of stuff to dark for me, I do understand.
    Edited on 11/13/2006 9:09pm

rickumali

[5]Nov 14, 2006
    • level: 2
    osustudent06 wrote:
    I remember the West Wing being slightly dark, but got darker in the post-Sorkin era. Sports Night was bright but it was surrounded by windows in a skyscraper.

Sports Night is one of my all time favorite television series. One other aspect of Sports Night regarding lighting is that you saw more on-air stuff, which is generally "brighter". I do agree that West Wing seemed darker. There were a lot of shadows on that show, which lent to its drama.