Why Was This Canceled?

korel4021

[1]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 3

I've just startd whatching this show i'm on episode 10 and unless the rest of the season drops unimaginably in quality i dont understand why it was canceled. it is beatiful uality television. funny and serious. it is perhaps a parody of itself. it reallly shows up the american TV industry or the american TV iewing public if a show of this quality gets canceled, shame on the viewers for not supporting a show that s probably the best tv show on the air in years. and shame on networks for pandering to viewing figures and not a show a chance to flourish.

To me it's wither stupd american public or stupid american networks panderin to the simpletons and denying the rest of the vaughly inteligent humans a chance for some sort of firfullment.

I blame the networks! becuase i belive wholeheartedly in the people no matter whatcountry or what continent. i belive it's the money hungey scumags that are destorying creativity ion the planet.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Ossie

[2]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 14

Was cancelled because people prefer to watch idiot reality tv shows.

hmnut7

[3]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 12

I think it is far too easy to blame "the network" or "simpletons." As if there was this massive plot to destroy the show. The show was great, but it had real problems and it had them in a time when Dramas of this nature are a dying breed.

I loved the show! I loved it!!!! But it asked a lot of the views and quite frankly I don't blame them for not giving so much.

First, and something really over looked by all the critics, the show is not realistic. Not that it is fake or the stuff that happened on the show couldn't happen in real life or doesn't happen in real life. But it is about political sketch comedy show set in 2008, which really doesn't exist anymore. It tries too hard to be Saturday Night Live, but not Saturday Night Live of 2006-07 but Saturday Night Live of the 70's. That is not the world we live in anymore. Political comedy is on shows like the Daily Show, Colbert Report, even South Park. Shows like Saturday Night Live and Mad TV pretty much from the 90's until today have been much more about Frat Boy humor, catch phrases, silly characters, which even Lorne Michaels has said he doesn't always think it is funny but he respects that "kids" think it is funny. Yes they do political stuff every now and then but their bread and butter is silly stuff like "cowbell" and if you don't know what I'm talking about, that's the problem. So basically The Show Within the Show (SWTS) exist in a fantasy world unlike our own where sketch comedy is the home of political commentary. What if The West Wing was like that, what if Martin Sheen played a president who living in the present day but was dealing with a war with the Nazis, and freeing slaves and trying to beat the Russians to the moon. You know maybe that would be a hit show, but something that unrealistic runs the risk of no one watching.

Another thing along the same vain, the sketches were not funny. They were just not funny. People on this board live to use the phrase "you're suppose to watch the show, not the SWTS." People watch TV to be entertained, when they turn on the tube they don't want to have to "ignore" stuff, they don't want to have to process what they are suppose to be watching and not watching. If you are watching a movie and during the middle of the movie all of a sudden you see a mic drop or a stage hand walks into the shot, it takes you right out of the experience, the critics will have a field day bashing it, and it won't matter that the rest of the movie is perfect, and the director does not get to say "well watch the movie don't watch the mic drop or the stage hand." When you put it on film everything filmed will be judged. The sketches were not just "unfunny," they were "unfunny" and treated as if they were the funniest thing every. It does take you right out of the experience, and for some people once that happens they change the channel and don't come back.

Third, the show could not have been more liberal. And hey, I am a bleeding heart liberal myself. But look around you (well maybe not you, but) look around America, look at who won the last two presidential elections here. Fellow liberals, like it or not we haven't been the majority for at least 8 years. I think Sorkin's Liberal views were tolerated on the West Wing because the President was a Liberal President, so if every week Sorkin wanted to preach from the holy bible of liberalism on the West Wing who cares. But on a show about comedy (and again sketch comedy is no longer the home of political comedy) it just sticks out so much more.

Along the same lines the show is somewhat smug. Much like the people here it loves to bash reality TV and people who blog on the internet etc. etc. And I agree with a lot of the bashing, BUT THIS IS THE WORLD WE LIVE IN. We can all dream back to the days when TV was "smart" (if you want to use that word) but that day is dead, reality shows are king, action shows are making a come back, while dramas are dying. Sorkin has this idea that if he can run against the grain he can bring TV back to what it was 20 years ago. We can't go back, we have to live in the now.

Fourth, and probably the least important, Sorkin has this love for "Behind the Scenes of Live TV" and really besides the news that just doesn't exist anymore; I guess SNL is still live, but pretty much it is all that's left and not to be too harsh, but no one cares how a show like SNL is made. I think a show more about the makings of a political news show like Colbert or Daily Show, or a political talk show like Bill Maher, or a sitcom, these are things much more relevant to the world we live in, how about Behind the Scenes of a hit political drama... hmm.... I wonder if Sorkin knows anything about that. But this is just my opinion of what would work, maybe it was just not in the stars.

Which brings me to Fifth, and probably most important is people didn't watch. We could analysis all day every day each episode as to why some people watched it and some did not. But people did not watch, and this is not the fault of the Network. S60 was set up as the flagship new show of the new season. And I think it is important to note it was not so much that people did not watch it, it is that there was a decline in viewers, more people watched the first episode than the second, and more watched the second than the third. When a Network puts as much money, time and talent in a show and not only does it get low ratings but even the people who watch it turn away, that's pretty much the worst possible outcome a show can get. Even Sports Night which did not have the same kind of Network support as S60 maintained viewers who gave it a shot, the problem was people were not giving it a shot. People S60 gave a shot and they did not like it, we can disagree with their reasons for not liking it, but that's how it is.

So lets have so respect for people who have taste different than our own. The network did not kill a hit show. They took a gamble on this show and lost. I would feel bad for S60 except there are a lot of good shows that have been cancelled in under 5 episodes even when they are doing well because they are not doing great. S60 was given a shot, and it did not make it, it happens it's nobodies fault but, least of all the networks or the "simpletons."

I don't want anyone to think I did not like the show. I loved it. I think it was better than 99% of the stuff on today. But it had serious problems, and some it fixed as the show went on but it was too late, and some problems it just never fixed.

And not for nothing TC, you didn't watch it does that make you a simpleton. So yes let us bash reality shows, and the network and pretend we are so much smarter than the rest of the world because we liked a TV show.

Ossie

[4]Feb 28, 2008
    • level: 14

I said people prefer to watch 'idiot reality tv shows'

Didn't say that people were stupid for watching them, I know that I watch bad tv to relax after a hard day to.

Nor did I blame the networks for cancelling a show with bad ratings.

Sorry, I took offence to you implying that I pretend to be better then others, as I deliberately choose my words to insult neither people or the network.

korel4021

[5]Mar 3, 2008

No Tv program is realistic under scrutiny, if somone is willing to whatch some retarded reality show i doubt they are willing to deconstruct a show like studio 60 and decide not to whatch it because it just ot realistic.

Theres a term called "Suspending your disbelif" hich is what everyone does when they whatch a movie,tvshow, read a book ect in order to enjoy the story, characters and context of the medium. the reason it was canceled is because the network thought they could get more ratings with somthing else, basically they wanted more money faster and where'nt willing to give the show a chance.

hmnut7

[6]Mar 4, 2008
    • level: 12
    korel4021 wrote:

it was canceled is because the network thought they could get more ratings with somthing else, basically they wanted more money faster and where'nt willing to give the show a chance.

I could agree with everything you say except this last part.

It is one thing when a show has a mid-level of viewers and maintains mid-level viewers. It is another thing when a show has low level of viewers and slowly gains more viewers. S60 had mid to low level of viewers and went DOWN!!!!!!

A sizable number of people who tuned in to watch this show with a famous writer, famous director, all-star case, these people watched one show and then said "no I'd rather watch something else." It would be a different kettle of fish if they did not give S60 a chance, they did and they did not like it. Yes the Network wants money. I hate to break this too you, but Networks actually are not in it to make the world a better place. They want to make money, I don't understand how you admit they were not making money yet somehow think they might have left the show on the air.

The most ironic things about S60 was how often the show imitated it's own life when it did not even mean too. Matt said it himself "it's not the same place it was for scripted TV as 10 years ago" which is true. I have seen pretty good shows (both funny and smart and had a good viewer numbers) get canned after 5 episodes because they were not mega-hits. Yeah I am not a big fan of reality TV but it is easier to make and more people watch it. You don't have to be a marketing genius to do the math, one show cost a couple of thousands of dollars to make a will give profits in the millions another one with cost millions of dollars to make and will only bring in a few thousands...hmm? which one will go on the air.

I don't blame the Network because they did give S60 a shot. Any other show they would have canceled after the 3rd episode (and they have done that to shows). The show did medicore to poor right up until Christmas and there was a lot of talk about ending it there, but the Network gave them a second shot, it did slightly better, but seriously it was never at consumer level beyond "barely okay."

I shouldn't have used the term "unrealistic" because I meant "irrelevant." But either way it doesn't matter it was just me trying to figure out why people did not watch the show, it could have been what I said or it could have been a million other reasons, the bottom line is in an age when a scripted TV show must be a mega hit right out the box people did not watch the show (BTW you were one of those people). A network will only support a show that people aren't watching for so long, more than a season is unlikely.

Again, like Danny said a show like this might just do better on Cable.

X-RayVision

[7]Mar 30, 2008
    • level: 11
    The show got cancelled because they financed it to be a hit. The actors, sets, crew, writers were all top quality. That means money, money, money. NBC put big bucks into getting the show started and it HAD to be a hit. It wasn't. When NBC puts big money into something it has to be the next Friends, ER, Seinfeld, The Office, etc. Hit or miss, nothing in between.

Fryerider

[8]Apr 14, 2008
    • level: 5

You all have come up with great reasons, but it still bums me out that something I enjoyed so much has no future. The eps this year would have been fantastic!!

I think it was a $ move all the way. Quality is great, but if you don't pull in the audience quality means nothing. Wonder Bread is hardly food and the vitamins it has are added in, not part of the wheat it's made from. But millions buy it and eat it, and that's why it's still being baked after decades. If everyone chose a healthy alternative of whole grains Wonder Bread would be pulled and replaced too. It's all about $. In TV It's all about advertising income. That's the way of network TV, and I really think all TV.

My two bits worth. But I really miss it!!

Fryerider

JavaJunkie4Life

[10]Apr 17, 2008
    • level: 25
    Pangbulle wrote:
    All i can say is, americans are fat, ignorant and undereducated and thats why this show failed.

i'm not sure i would've worded it the same way, but with your general idea, i concur wholeheartedly.

MPJohnstone

[11]Apr 22, 2008
    • level: 8
    This is currently being re-shown on More 4 every night in teh UK and it certainly does justice to repeat viewing might have to go out and ge the DVD set to put next to the West Wing.

The only major problem i had was that Matt would have gotten over Harriet.

MJ

X-RayVision

[12]May 6, 2008
    • level: 11
    ^ I don't know about that. In my view that's an easier said than done situation. Especially given their long, long history.

jussten

[13]May 16, 2008
    • level: 9
    The first episode was amazing but then it kind of tailed off. Was still good though, wish Aaron Sorkin dind't bring the polotics into this show because it had great potential and a fantastic cast.

I think it became too much about making political statements and less about running a tv show. Just my opinion though.

Raynil

[14]May 23, 2008

I got very sad when I saw that it got taken of the air too.

I'm still hoping for someone to get it back on.

bonjovichick

[15]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 16
    I agree with many of the points but maybe not so much the liberal angle. I am a Moderate Republican and I enjoyed the show very much. While I disagreed with some of their opinions I can take that for what it is and still enjoy the show. My beliefs dont' get changed by watching other opinions on things. Maybe because it helped that their was someone else like a Harriet role. I tend to try and not judge something on their beliefs but more how they use them. I couldn't be a huge Bon Jovi fan if he tried to manipulate his liberal believes on to me at his concerts. I know he is one... but I have never in 50+ concerts over the years had him bring it into the concert arena. I looked at Studio 60 like entertainment and while they had their different believes I got past it because they didn't present it in a way that could influence me or attempt to influenze me... actually it was the opposite for me. Their way out their skewed beliefs and attacks on Harriet made me just nod my head... typical liberal bull crap. Not that I was as a relgious conservative as her but understood her beliefs.

bike-chan

[16]Jun 15, 2008
    • level: 7
    I may be wrong but I think this show never actually had any future. I mean, don't get me wrong - it was amazing. But it was just too expensive and too smart in the same time. It's kind of obvious that when you're doing such an intellectual product you should't expect masses to watch and like it. And the fact that it's about a TV show is not gonna change anything here. Maybe It would have any chances in some smaller network with less famous cast, but not like this. Is it just my opinion?

downbeat423

[17]Jun 25, 2008
    • level: 6
    Would've done better on cable in my opinion. HBO or Showtime and it would've still be on the air.

inuyasharulez08

[18]Jul 1, 2008
    • level: 9

Well people didn't watch it i watched and i loved it they should find a new network that should help them if they ever try to reair the show

Ashs911

[19]Jul 15, 2008
    • level: 13

I think a cable network should bring the show back, give it another shot. I write scripts as I want to do it as a career when I finish school and I wrote a great spec script of Studio 60, even though it was canceled, I just did it for practice. I loved the show, it has great potential and it might work on something like HBO or Showtime.

I live in UK and shows made here are made for entertainment not to be a megabucks industry tbh.

Edited on 07/15/2008 12:40pm

SWERJ321

[20]Jul 19, 2008
    • level: 19
    I posted a while back why the show failed and the above posting on this thread hit the nail on the head. I'd add in that the show could be a little too inside in TV terms for people to get. TV Guide had the great line "we WORK in television and some of this stuff goes over our heads." It was just hard to buy because Sorkin was making the main characters way too nice for Hollywood. Take Jordan for instance. Is it really believable that a network president would pass on a show she knows will be a hit just because she has issues with its quality? But the real killer was Sorkin's whole smug tone of "you don't know what good TV is and what you should watch." I mean, the bit where Tom's parents actually claim to have never heard of Abott and Costello or "Who's On First" was ridiciulous and seemed to be Sorkin saying people in Middle America aren't as knowledgable as on the Coasts. It was always going to be hard to get middle-class people to get behind the problems of a bunch of rich LA actors. Basically telling an entire segment of your potential audience that "you're not smart enough to know what's good for you" is not a recipie for success. Just my own two cents.