Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

K & R (1)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jun 07, 2007 on NBC

• A truly inspired episode, vintage Sorkin. At his best.

Seems that the obvious fact that some of the reviewers have stated is indeed true - the episodes of Studio 60 are gaining in quality as the show comes to an end. And the strange thing is that Sorkin made such leaps that I really am quite sad that the show has to end when the real peak of it happened just as it was decided that it is going to be cancelled. Do not get me wrong, Sorkin always did an outstanding job on this series, and the fact that it looks and feels ten times better than anything on TV (The Sopranos are in this league also) has always been his doing. And now, upon seeing this episode, I really can't say why on earth there are no demands to save Studio 60 from it's much too early demise. When one sees the Harriet/Matt montage and hears "Have a little faith in me" with the classic piano and a truly great voice of John Hiatt, one can't be anything but amazed at how Sorkin knows how to merge music, writing and images in such a way that it feels so melodic and masterful in itself. From The West Wing and "In Excelsis Deo" with Toby whitnessing a veterans funeral while the background choir sings "Little Drummer Boy" at a Christmas celebration in The White House, Studio 60's Sting singing "Fields of Gold" while Matt and Harriet almost kiss, to this episode, I can only say - magnificent. Vintage Sorkin, at his finest hour.