Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

K & R (2)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jun 14, 2007 on NBC

• The politics are a bit much but the chemistry between the leads clicks like never before.

I do think this whole thing of Tom's brother is pushing it a bit in terms of taste and shows how the series has just given up its original "behind the scenes" aspect. But again, I see some tongue in cheek stuff of the reporters asking if "this is some ratings stunt," a nice bit of irony. What makes this shine is that we finally get some real great chemistry between Danny, Matt and Harriet. The hospital opening was just so...real, so natural, no speeches or anything, just three great actors playing off each other well with nice lines. I especially liked Matt's "I will commit a crime and lead the police on a high-speed pursuit!" line. THIS was the Sorkin I wanted, not the speeches or the politics or evils of bad TV ranting but the guy who can do crisp dialouge. If the series had been like this from the start, it wouldn't be ending now.

I do worry about the Jordan in danger idea and the thing of Danny not seeing the baby because he might not be able to take her is a nice little twist. I also like how the one writer was the one worried as his wife had died of the same condition. The personal stuff is much better than the political for this show.

On that end, I liked how the military guy pretty much put Simon in his place when he was yelling over Tom's brothers' condition, basically saying "I'm in the military, you work on a TV show, I'm the expert here." Of course, all this led to the big end of Simon blowing up at the reporters and while I can understand his motivations, it was a really dumb move and hope we see the fallout from it next week handled well.

The flashbacks weren't too bad, mostly setup for next week and again, while the whole 20/20 vision talk makes it too much, I liked the challenges of writing comedy in that period. The network guy was good, not a total jerk but obviously stuck in a rough job and can't wait for next week. A shame it will be the next-to-last time we see these guys.