Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

K & R (3)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jun 21, 2007 on NBC

• Of all the critical acclaim that Aaron Sorkin and Studio 60 got, they can add one more... Brilliant but Cancelled.

Of all the critical acclaim that Aaron Sorkin and Studio 60 got, they can add one more... Brilliant but Cancelled. Although it lost it’s way a bit in the middle due to studio pressures, the show quickly got back on track, and ended on a high not. I do admit that it did get a little cheesy at the end, I was able to let it slide because Aaron Sorkin did not want to leave his fans hanging. Thank you Mr. Sorkin for making another fantastic show. I, like many of your fans, would have loved to see this show continue on. I hold on to the hope that someone sees the true brilliance of this show and picks it up to air on another network. Until then, I eagerly await for your next project.
  • This is "Painful to watch" because it's turning out to be such a good show, and it's been cancelled for weeks.

The part three (yes.. part three) of K&R continues the flashback theme as we find out how Danny and Matt were fired many years ago. The issue was a sketch done shortly after 9/11 and provides history of the current hostage situation. Jordan's future is unclear and the future of her daughter is up for grabs if things end terribly for her.

All this episode does is show what a great writing looks like. For example, when things look to sell out and Danny almost starts to pray, he stands his ground and leaves Harriet. I'm not saying that praying is bad, but I dislike it when a show forces a character to go against expect behaviour. I wish we had many more seasons to learn more about Danny, and watch his continual debates with Harriet. The issues of hostages, foreign policy and celebrity involve are all very well developed as Tom's family tries to determine the best set of action as his brother's situation heats up.

Religion and politics are always tricky subjects for any drama, and Studio 60 is tackling both perfectly in the same episode.
  • I can't believe there's only one episode left! This has been one of the smartest and most well written dramedy's in the history of television! It's too bad that the networks only care about how high the ratings are... (More words on the review)

I can't believe there's only one episode left! This has been one of the smartest and most well written dramedy's in the history of television! How can you cancel a show like that?! Is it too smart for regular people living in a world full of crappy reality shows on the TV? Well, I hope not! It's too bad that the networks only care about how high the ratings are... The cancellation is also strange because of the fact that they cancelled a show that was based on Saturday Night Live, one of NBC's darlings during the years... But, at least they aired (one episode left) the whole season, so thanks for that NBC! How about Season 2 on HBO? Ah, that would be lovely wouldn't it?! Let's hope for miracles!
  • I wasn't able to see this episode and can't seem to find it on iTunes. Does anyone know why it might take longer than Apple says it takes (the morning after the original airing) to get it online?

I wasn't able to see this episode and can't seem to find it on iTunes. Does anyone know why it might take longer than Apple says it takes (the morning after the original airing) to get it online? I really want to see this episode as it sounds really interesting but my power went out at exactly 10pm last night :( Anyone able to help? Thanks appreciated!
  • The penultimate episode continues to show why this was a missed opportunity

When I heard this was a trilogy spanning one single dark night of the soul, I was thrilled by the idea. When I saw that it was essentially the “Studio 60” version of “Lost”, right down to drawing parallels between past and present with flashbacks, I was even more thrilled. Bringing the series full circle and grounding its themes in “television during wartime” was the icing on the already incredibly rich cake.

To say that I will miss this series when it’s gone is a massive understatement. For the past few weeks, I’ve been screaming at my TV in happy frustration at the end of every hour. Knowing that the end is near is making it that much harder. It’s like getting towards the last couple of chapters of a book that took a while to get going, but was worth the patience by the end.

I was a little surprised by the lack of resolution, because when you think of a trilogy, you think that the third act would bring the pieces together. Structurally, though, this is more of the classic five-act form: introduction, rising action, complication, climax, resolution/denouement. And that’s pretty much what we have with the final five episodes.

That makes this the climax, for all intent purposes, and from a character perspective, it’s true. Everyone gets to a point of personal crossroads at the end of the hour. Danny is placed in the most hopeless of situations, left with nothing but faith to pull him (and in a sense, Jordan) through. Harriet faces faith on her own terms and helps Danny understand humility, perhaps getting a sense of where Matt’s coming from in the process. I was expecting that dynamic to happen with Matt and Harriet after the first part of the trilogy, but this was a better execution.

Matt’s moment was really with Jack, bringing him towards closure with all the issues brought up in the pilot. Jack, in turn, must face down his own decisions while dealing with the fallout of Simon’s outburst. I don’t recall if they’ve touched on Jack’s sexuality before, but it was an interesting direction to take; without a second season, however, it could be seen as extraneous. Whatever the case, I found Jack’s attitude and restraint with Simon to be a telling contrast to his tactics with Matt and Danny.

Since the trilogy includes a number of dramatic elements in threes (Danny/Harriet/Matt on faith, Matt/Jack/Simon on truth vs. perception), there’s the third crisis with Tom and his brother. This is more plot driven as a necessity, but there’s the struggle between Tom and his two “advisors”, Mary and Captain Boyle. Tom is caught between the percentages and the difference between personal and global moral concerns. It’s a bit more abstract for the audience, since the other dramatic threads are more directly relatable, but it’s still compelling.

All of the characters dance and weave around these three threads, contributing to each character triptych in turn, and those minor shadings make it all more cohesive. As concluding arcs go, this is a stunner, and the effort taken to connect the continuity dots (finally bringing the Bill Maher item in line with this retelling of Matt and Danny’s exit in 2001) is well appreciated. If Sorkin and his staff can pull off a solid dismount for the finale, this series will go down in the books as true missed opportunity.
  • Some nice drama amid all the 20/20 hindsight talk and preaching (literally).

A lot of this ep was a showcase of how this show failed like Harriet pushing her faith and even teaching Danny to pray. And a lot of the flashbacks with the post-9/11 feeling were obviously influenced by five years of history since so it didn't come off as geniune. But Jack did have a great thing here, trying to handle Simon's outburst and refusal to apologize. And you can see the spot he was in back in 2001 handling Matt and Danny, showing back then his more realistic attitude toward the business of TV. I am a bit annoyed that plot points said Judd Hirsch would appear as Wes and he didn't.

The stuff of Tom's brother is still a bit raw but I like how the military guy basically tells them "I'm the one person who knows anything about this so listen." But you can understand Tom's fear and anxiety when the death is reported so it's understandable how he does. Some of the dialouge was rough (did we really need to hear "We kill people here" line repeated a half-dozen times?) and I liked the uninentional irony of Harriet talking about people laughing at someone not that funny considering how bad the in-show skits are. So it's sad to see this show going out when it still had much potential. But if that potential is never really tapped, it's probably for the best.
  • As Studio 60 nears the end of its first (and sadly its only) season, another reason to watch presents itself. This episode and the previous 3 have really impressed me and would have validated a renewal in the show...if only more people were watching.

While I don't think this episode was better than 'K&R Part I', I do think it is an improvement over 'K&R Part II'.

One thing I noticed in this episode compared to the others was the lower amount of flashbacks used. I think there were only three used in the entire episode! It's a much smaller number when compared to the previous 3 where they stressed the use of the flashbacks. This was something I found to be better because the main focus wasn't on the flashbacks, but it was more on the present story. This could be a sign of them trying to phase out the flashback mechanic, but that doesn't seem likely because I do not think they've finished telling Matt and Danny's controversial skit story.

Another thing that was different about this episode was the lowering of the intensity. It felt much more calm in the beginning, it later exploded half of the way in, and quietly left you with a cliffhanger. So the structure was different after the explosive ending of 'K&R Part II' and that may have been a good thing.

Where 'K&R Part III' succeeds is in its subtle movements. There are quiet moments in this episode that show off some more one-on-one confrontations between characters. This really helps build an image of these characters before what could be a stunning finale next week. So I left mostly satisfied with this episode, but it is a bittersweet satisfaction knowing there is only one week until these beloved characters are no longer a part of TV. Well, it was good while it lasted so let's hope for a gripping conclusion!!
  • Good examination of 2001 and now... A refreshing refusal to show religious conversion because of fear and worry.

The show isn't perfect, but episodes like this are why I watch it.
    Comparing the attitudes of Americans right after 2001, our government's trying to control us through fear, equating patriotism with blind acceptance - equating dissent with treason, etc. I enjoyed the discussions of the NBC head with the characters about these issues.

And I was surprisingly pleased when Danny decided NOT to pray.
    I'm so sick of shows that show last minute/near death sudden acceptence of religion and god. I'm glad he decided that he wasn't that desperate and saw the hypocrisy in begging an entity he didn't believe in to fix his problems.