Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 22, 2007 on NBC

• I see it as the first third of a movie...

exposition, set ups, and promises make this episode a good one. It's easy to argue that the path of romance is getting a little heavy here, but it all depends on how those relationships are going to be treated in the next episode(s).

A shout out for Ed Asner, Steven Webber, and Matthew Perry. and NO, Danny was not a creap, he was a guy in love

God I hope this show hangs around for a while... it is so great

Aaron Sorkin is a fantastic writer
  • Okay, so I am a huge Jack fan now, and I am so glad that the writers stuck to their guns and made Danny say "No" at the end.

Okay, can I just say that I have read a few reviews and am so disappointed that no one has mentioned Jack. He was so great, he stood up to the head of the board, and figured out a way to salvage Wilson White's career, as well as his own while sticking to his guns. I am really loving the integrity that this man has developed over the course of this first season. I must say that I pegged him as a bad guy in the beginning, but I am happy to be proved wrong. He is standing up, and not compromising, and I think that the statement he is trying to make, to not censor the news is important. That is a running theme with the media today. The other thing that I am so excited about is the follow-through with the Jordanny (as I will affectionately call my new favorite hopeful couple). He warned her that she could run, but she better get a good head start, because he was coming after her. I waited, fearing the worst out of my new favorite series, that they would just let Jordan turn down Danny and that would be it. But no, lo and behold, they followed through. Danny will not give up, and I think that even though the odds are stacked against them, after the speech that Danny gave Jordan, she should at least give him a chance. The letters of recommendation and the phone calls, are proof that he is not giving up (and so cute, what woman wouldn't want a grand gesture like that, embarrassing though it may be). Long live Jordanny!!
  • Part 1 of 3. Matt bids on a date from Harriet. Jordan says no to Danny (Several times).

This was a great way to come back from hiatus! I loved the way Matt was bidding on Harriet, but would donate a dollar more to an opposite charity. I can't wait to see them on their date. That's going to be AMAZING. They're a great couple and I love their banter. And the Danny/Jordan stuff was awesome. I think they're a great couple, so Jordan was kind of making me mad. And when Jordan said "Stop" he just said "No" and left. And I really hate that Halley girl. She's pure evil. And Jordan wasn't that mean, I thought she was extremely funny, to be quite honest. And Tom asked Lucie out!!! Very great episode, even if it was mostly just setting up for the next two :)
  • I love this show, and this episode had everything in it that works for me. The dialog is witty and clever and I relate to the issues. It's part 1 of 3, so I'm not going to call it perfect ... yet.

I love this show, and everything about it. I love the character interaction, the dialog, the issues that it raises mean something to me. It's hilarious, intelligent and meaningful.

I love Jordan and Harriet - 2 strong female characters, we don't have enough of those on TV.

I love Danny & Matt - great actors, doing a great job with their roles.

And Jack and Wilson - what a team, unexpectedly I am now rooting for them too.

And the supporting cast is great!

This is up there for me (with The West Wing ....).

Intelligent shows can be funny too.
  • Monday Monday!/Can't trust that day!

The first new episode since the Chrsitmans epiosde, and it pick up where the last epsiode left off. Amanda Peet's character is still pregant. I missed the old single Ammanda Peet. the discussion oppver the the network showing someone swearing mat the baastlelines has continued with the FCC theatening to fine each station $325,000 for each affinate. What will the FCC do with $75,000,000? Do I care? There is trouvblr almong cast and crew, but nothing to write about. I gave this episode a 9 bacause there's nothing much, but it still well-written and well-act. You can't ignore that can you?
  • For me, this was the slowest episode of the season....

Was it me or was Studio 60 a bit slow this week? For someone looking forward to beginning the new episodes with a bang, I was disappointed. After all that exciting relationship tension created during "The Christmas Show," I thought Studio 60 was finally headed in a direction to really pull in viewers.

Unfortunately, there were no really funny moments that stand out in my mind. While there were cutesy things such as Matt bidding one dollar over Luke's bids to be Harriet's date to the dinner, there were not many (if any) real laugh out loud moments. Some reasons for this perhaps were: no Cal, not enough Danny and Matt scenes, not enough Harriet and Matt scenes, and where were Jordan's hilarious one-liners? It was really much too serious an episode for me.

As a recap, Matt warred Luke over a dinner date with Harriet at an event honoring her thrown by some Catholic organization. Matt, being against this group, donated not only to them, but to a sex-crazed group to balance it out. Danny began his stalking of Jordan, calling her every five minutes and asking her out a billion times, only to have her say "no." (I have to admit this was a let down, because they seem to have some excellent chemistry). I was incredibly sad for Danny when Jordan explained to him that he was embarrassing her, by doing things like having everyone he knows right him a letter of recommendation. Meanwhile, Jack was fighting the FCC, but not having much luck with the Board, and Lucy and Tom agreed to go out on a date (even though it looks like Jack offered Tom up for the same night to the daughter of the Chinese business man).

I am hopeful that tonight was mostly a set-up for what will be a hilarious episode next week...with a return to Studio 60's dramedy was. Because Studio 60 as mostly a drama doesn't do it for me.
  • It was an OK episode! I liked it.

I missed this show over the break a lot. This episode was good. I was a little disappointed that they didn't have Matt and Harriet talk a little more about their kiss, I don't know, I guessed were going to bring it up for more than two seconds like they did but oh well. The thing with Danny and Jordan is so cute, I totally hope she will end up falling for him, basically because he obviously won't stop to try to win her over. And that new woman that's working with Jordan now...hmmm I don't know but somehow I think she's trouble. The episode wasn’t my favorite one but it was still very good.
  • A good start to a strong story arc

Like many shows this season, the first half of the season led into the winter break. While it wasn’t particularly long, the hiatus created an interesting effect on the audience. This plays more like the beginning of a new season than the continuation of the first season. For example, the teaser quickly covers the same amount of time that the show was off the air, as though the story has jumped forward from the previous run to the next phase.

All of the plot and character threads remain, of course, and they’re important enough to warrant a three-part mini-arc. That leaves most of the story in “set up” mode, which is another reason why it feels more like a season premiere. Four major plot threads are explored in the episode, and none of them are resolved in any way by the end of the episode. Oddly, there’s little frustration as a result; just anticipation for the next installment of the story.

Danny has followed through on his promise to pursue Jordan relentlessly, and at first, she seems to take it all rather well. She’s very patient with his constant advances, and in his defense, she never seems to shut him down in a definitive manner. As a result, his actions border on stalker territory, especially when he drums up support from high profile friends to press his suit. By the time that Jordan finally makes it clear that she wants him to let it go, things have gone far enough for Danny’s situation to get nasty if she feels the need to make a case out of it. Oddly, by refusing to stop, he’s discounting her feelings in the matter, which fairly close to the definition of sexual harassment (if not dead on).

Matt’s typical passive-aggressive approach with Harriet may be stoking his creative fires, but it leaves him an emotional wreck. It’s ironic that his methods might actually work better in the long run. Then again, considering the level of neurotic jealousy required to buy a date with a woman just to keep someone else from having the satisfaction, it still may be a hopeless gesture. Never mind the fact that he’s planning to denote an equal amount to a charity that Harriet would despise!

For all the relationship brouhaha, some of the best character work comes out of Jack, who gets to be the most sympathetic he’s ever been in this episode. Jack really is in a horrible bind, and his tactics display his more creative side. Even knowing that he’s often the devil, it’s hard not to like the guy and feel for his troubles. I was left hoping that he would succeed, even after his little stunt with the new girl.

Hallie comes storming into Jordan’s office like a political officer in the old Russian army: a necessary and dangerous evil. Jordan knows that reality TV is an unfortunate staple of the medium, but she doesn’t make any concessions. It’s the perfect opportunity for someone with equal ambition and less morality to present a challenge. The pregnancy attack was incredibly harsh, and it spoke volumes. Hallie could very well be the character we love to hate.

It’s practically a given that Jack’s major plot thread will intersect with Tom’s pursuit of Lucy, causing endless complications, and the tension between Simon and Darius will likely escalate into something far more substantial before the mini-arc is over. It’s good to see so many minor details from earlier episodes come back into play. The series has hit its stride, and though this is mostly a set-up episode, it still manages to remind the audience of all the good points from the first half of the season.
  • Mostly set-up but a great Simon/Darius scene elevates it.

After a long break, it seems Sorkin is finally addressing some of his problems again with that new VP telling Jordan she can't just paint all reality shows with the same crappy label. I also like how the woman shows she's not intimidated by Jordan, a move way overdue. The more they talk on stuf with the FCC battle, the more I think Sorkin might have been better off doing a show focusing on the network as a whole rather than one comedy series. Fighting to keep the integrity of news is a good plot and I like how Jack is ready to do it. I also enjoy the sadly realistic bit that the board would rather remove Asner than risk a multi-billion dollar battle, showing Sorkin does indeed realize that in life, money would come before quality for these people. I wince at them restarting the whole "foreign girl going after Tom" bit again but Jack had a great scene working with them all. The romances seem a bit too much now, especially the online auction and Danny's boderline stalking of Harriet. But at least she calls him on the fact it's more infatuation than real love. But the highlight of this episode was the Simon/Darius bit. I always found it presomptous of Simon that it was his duty to give other black comedians a break and save them from the inevitable life on the streets. It makes sense that Darius, an educated writer, doesn't want to be just "the black sketch" writer. That built to one of the best scenes yet where Simon blasts Darius for doing this after all Simon did to save him and Darius fires back "Yassa, Mistuh Simon, you sure is good to us field ni----ers." It's a great thing for Darius to let Simon know that not every black man feels like he does and they don't have to be shoe-horned like this. This is the Aaron Sorkin I've been waiting to see and hopfully the second half of the season who show more of that.
  • first one i really didn't enjoy

7.2
    i loved the christmas episode. i have loved nearly all the episodes of this show. but this one was just not what i was wanting.
    danny/jordan... that was just pathetic. i thought it was sweet at the end of the episode with them. but common, i mean, i can't think of anything more pathetic than letters of recommendation
    jordan/new reality show chick... she annoyed me. partly because i don't like reality shows in general, and partly because i thought her idea was dumb. matt/harriet... um, what happened since last episode. although I DID find it hilarious with the bidding and then the donation to the sex thing. that was one part i really liked
    i didn't like how the fight with the fcc was continued, although it was interesting going with the macau deal and seeing how that turns up.

all in all... not the best episode. but this series IS good, and deserves a shot.

i want to see how it finishes.
  • I realize it was part one of 3, but a whole hour to set up the next episode?

I have to be honest, I watched the Studio 60 marathon on Sunday, and it made me practically salivate in anticipation of the return of the show on Monday night. After sitting through the hour of "Monday - 1", I must admit that I felt wanting. The momentum that the show had built up to and including the Christmas Episode had completely vanished. Now, I realize that it was the first of a three-story arc, but I'm puzzled as to the purpose of using the whole hour to set up 3 major story-lines. 1) Jordan and Danny, which is quickly becoming tiresome. 2) Matt, Harriet and the whole auction thing, which was very funny, but seemed to only serve as comic relief for the rest of the show rather than being a poignant story-line. 3) the Board vs. JAckl and Mr. White over the FCC issue, which could have some depth to it if it doesn't become a quasi-political soapbox rally. If it took the whole hour for the set up, will the next episode solely be the apex of the arc, and the third episode solely the wrap-up? Overall, I was rather disappointed with this ouoting, expecially after a month-long hiatus. I was hoping for more.
  • Are you kidding me?!

6.1
    I waited how many weeks for a new episode of this show and this is what I got? I love this show. I download my favorite episodes off of itunes but last night's was bad. Danny calling Jordan three hundred times was annoying. The new VP chick was horrible. The only redeeming story in the whole episode was Tom and Lucy. Really could have done without Simon and Darius fighting.