Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Nevada Day (1)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 06, 2006 on NBC

• Fabulous. This show gets better and better.

NBC need to pick this show up. It has a strong foundation for storylines. It is not suppose to entice you like mystery shows = Lost, Heroes, etc. And I'm sick to death of Crime Shows. If NBC does not pick this show up, they will lose a lot of respect fromm viewers who are sick and tired of the same types of shows out there. This is why Studio 60 is so great. It is out there on its own. It has a strong fan base. The fans are not going anywhere. NBC needs to keep this one around.
  • In the middle of somewhere.

I heard the news that "Studio 60 on the sunset Strip" will continue and this episode of the series may have been the reason why. I hope that people will tune in every Monday night. Why not watch both "Heroes" and Studio 60." You get the best two hours on television. Now for tonight's episode. In the first of a two parter inwhich the character Tom is behind bars in Nevada. and it all began on the streets of Los Angeles, but somehow, Tom is behind bars in Navada and is being tried by a hanging judge who don't like the show. The people behind the show must go to Navada to free Tom and it won't be easy.
  • Brilliant, Funny. Great cast, Great guests. Absolutely brilliant lines.

I think it takes a while for us to get used to the characters, but over time we really start to fall in love with them, and now I can't miss an episode. This was by far, my favorite episode. (I think mainly because of the cute Asian girl.) I think she was on House too. She's so funny and great. Anybody know who that is?

But aside from the girl, the episode was just so amazing and so well-written. Filled with brilliant little moments. For instance, my favorite part was when Tom Jeter says "It's not like that at all", and then Jack Rudolph busts into the sheriff's office with the black American Express credit card. My family and I laughed so hard when we watched that scene.

They're all great actors, amazing cast, amazing guests, amazing design and most amazing story and writing. And John Goodman always makes any show shine. He's such a great actor. Everyone's character's well developed, and the story is brilliant.

I can't wait to see the next show!
  • Yep, a very special episode, and a great one too. It had a little different feel from the ones so far, but it was good by all means. Still a very intellectual humor, but with a dynamic twist. Taking the characters for a walk may actually save the show.

First off I loved the stab at CSI:Miami. It's nice to see the show make a brave stand for itself. A snide joke about the competition is great way to show that Studio 60 is still kicking for live.
    And on the whole the episode was yet another improvement since last one, which was a bit of a late comeback. Getting the characters out of the studio is a good move so far and pays off very well for the show. The story has become more dynamic and interesting to follow even if you don't like the Sorkin kind of humor. The episode has a whole new feel about it and a bit of great directing has made it sort of exciting and still as sharp as always, so I'm sure it will score higher in the viewer ratings.

Episode Summary:
    The beginning is an overview of the current status of events - Tom and a motley crew of characters are in the office of a rather snide and ill-tempered judge. Then it goes into a nice retrospection of how they came to be there. As Matt takes on religion once more, Harriet makes an unwise comment about gay marriages that is interpreted by the media as being homophobic. She is assaulted by a gang of gay hooligans and when Tom tries to protect her he pushes one of them, who later press charges. Later Tom, who plays the Jesus character in Matt's new mock of Christianity, is taken into custody during the rehearsal of the sketch and ends up being extradited to a small town called Pahrump, Nevada for a old charge of speeding. He is wearing Simon's jacket an when search they discover a smoked joint in it's pocket.

Comment:
    I loved the episode, as I said it was smart, funny and exciting, but it was so good that it made the two things about the show, which are the core of it's lack of viewers, rahter apparent.
    1. The show tries so hard to be intelligent and funny that it forgets to be real. I mean, I'm sure Sorkin did his legal research and all but being extradited for speeding is a bit far-fetched. It's still a great story but I had to watch it a second time to be able to fully appreciate it.
    2.Everybody in the series, every single character is of a extraordinary intellectual level, or simply a downright genius. It's just hard for people to relate to that kind of personality.
  • Another well done show. Sorkin successfully intertwines the past with the present as the show ticks forward. The story allowed for more storylines between other characters, and for John Goodman to shine.

This show was very well done. It should provide the springboard Studio 60 needs to stay on the air. The story weaves in and out of the past and present. Tom is under arrest, half of the characters are with him, half are going crazy at the studio, and John Goodman is acting as a prickly judge. Anyone who watched this episode will want to watch next week.

A few observations:

1.) Great cliffhanger at end: Tom is asked to just explain why he was speeding in the last minutes. Should be interesting to find out why.

2.) Peet is pregnant: No news flash there, but it is showing in this episode.

3.) A little Sports Night feel: Yes, W.G. Snuffy Walden has composed the music for Sports Night, The West Wing, and now Studio 60. I think it works well yet again.

4.) The Sorkin wrap-up: Sorkin was criticized during Sports Night for having characters summing up the action near a commercial or at the end of the show. Matt did this tonight at the very end. Like it or not, it's his style.

5.) More inside-stuff: The show is doing what it is supposed to do: taking us inside the world of television. No, it's not life-and-death politics; but, it allows us to see how Sorkin views this world, and is very entertaining.

6.) Smack at CSI:Miami: Matt and Danny take 30 seconds are so to poke at their ratings bully. Makes sense for most of us watching, ala preaching to the choir. Very funny, though.

7.) Preview looks great: Next week's preview looks exciting, as the emotions will spill.

A previous writer was correct in the drama/comedy balance. This is a DRAMA. But, all dramas use a little bit of comedy. This show is falling into the same pacing and balance Sorkin was able to find in The West Wing. I hope the people are able to realize it and watch.

Last thought is this: part of what is making Studio 60 fun (or more difficult) to watch is the added drama of if the show will make it to next week. I find myself watching the show, checking the quality (always been there), and hoping that I'll be able to watch next week, and the next, and the next. I'm hoping if the show makes it, and this outside drama isn't there. The show will be that much looser, and then even better to watch. But, until NBC picks it up for the season, or it goes the other way, that outside drama will be there.
  • Well written, well acted.

Even though I rarely like cliff-hangers, I loved this episode. I love Tom (he's adorable) and I love the way it was written. I liked that you saw a lot more of the relationship between the characters (especially Tom, Simon, and Harriet). Also, John Goodman is a great actor and it's good to see him out there again. The plot and character development really helped me to like Harriet and Simon more than I had originally.

The only part I didn't really like was the addition of the Korean businessman and his daughter. I didn't think this subplot was necessary and it kind of detracted from the episode. Other than that, I really loved this episode.
  • To think that there were even rumours of this show being cancelled is just crazy.

After midweek cancellation rumours, Studio 60 done what every good show; come out with an AWESOME episode. The cut up time frame of the show was simply ingenius and added much more to the episode. John Goodman cameo was outstanding, and fit his character like a glove. Tom, Jack, Matt, Simon, Danny, Jordan, Harriet = solid solid solid. I simply can't get enough of this show. Good to see the ratings for this show had a must boost and with this episode being a 2 part (I haven't even had a chance to talk about the hilarious storyline) much of the audidence should be carried over. I only hope the ratings grow stronger and stronger cos I can't even stand the thought of future cancellation rumours or (GOD FORBID!) annoucements.
  • Now this is what I like to see!

I thought that this episode of Studio 60 was absolutely great! The story telling was done Tarantino-style, so that it wasn't linear, and means that viewers have to pay attention. Who are these people? What's going on? The story was doled out in bits and pieces, out of order. That was a good thing.

And the story itself was great. Just a comedy of errors, really. Everything that could possibly go wrong for Tom, did go wrong. Wrong coat. Wrong place, wrong time, wrong judge, wrong everything. It just spiraled down and down for him, but we know there's light at the end of the tunnel. There's still more to come in Part II, and I'm curious to know why Tom was speeding as he drove through Parrump. That's going to come out, I know, and we'll learn a little more about Tom. We know lots about Danny and Matt and Harriet... so it's good that we're learning about some of the other characters. The addition of the Chinese investor and his daughter makes the whole thing funnier, in a totally surreal way.

This is just a great episode so far, and I'm really looking forward to part II!
  • A cast member of Studio 60 gets arrested. Why you ask? A look in the past will tell us.

I was pretty excited about this episode for two reasons

1. John Goodman in a guest role.

2. I wondered if they try to change the show to avoid cancellation.

What can I say… I didn't get disappointed. John Goodman played his role as the crumby judge, who was called off his fishing trip nearly perfect. I hope he gets more screen time in the next episode. And the discussion about CSI Miami… How dope was that?

But what really stricken me again was the fine line the shows walks between comedy and drama and this episode really tipped it off. Studio 60 is a drama show with some funny moments in it and that's the bottom line. The only thing that annoyed me a little was the little Chinese girl. I don't know what the next episode will bring for her but right now she looked pretty useless to me. The character development was also pretty good. Was it just me or does Matt really looked pretty messed up? He is definitely overworked. Take it slow man. The only thing I couldn’t understand was why Harriet acted so p*ssed when Mat confronted her with her statement. It's not his fault and what should he say? "Very good. You angered some gay folks but who cares?"

Overall, I can't wait to see the next episode and I really hope NBC is sticking to the show.
  • Raises questions, and not as funny as usual.

It was said in 106 - The Wrap Party that "the writing was one unbearably long set up for a jingle" and I just hope that this isn't the case with this double header storyline. This episode seems to be a massive build up for the next part and beyond. Will they get back? What will happen to Tom? What will happen to Jordan? and why was Tom speeding? Obviously the story is essential to character development, but this episode wasn't as entertaining as the rest of the season thus far. The only comedy flowed from Simon. He was hilarious, and Danny and Jordan bounced off of him a few times with some good line. The rest of the cast failed to bring much humour. Tom was a major disappointment seen as the story evolved around him, I can't see how he is a main part of a major comedy sketch show. To be fair, he was under arrest, but people always go to their strengths when they're uncomfortable and under pressure, so he sould have been funny.
    Part 2 has to be amazing to make up for part 1's inability to move things along or to be witty. I may be holding this storyline to very high standards after seeing the West Wing's "In the Shadow of Two Gunmen", "20 Hours in America" and "Inaguration", but as Jordan said, "I set the bar high.... Clear it!" I hope part 2 brings this storyline to a level we all expect from Sorkin!
  • A trip out of town helps the show finally click to form.

I was a bit worried about this episode as Sorkin made it clear last ep the low opinon he has of people who don't live on either coast. So I LOVED it when Goodman's judge threw the show's whole pretentious and smug attitude right in their faces while making it clear he was not the cliched hick guy they expected. I also liked a line Danny made of "we're just not that funny" which also seems to be a shout-out.

We did get a CSI: MIami joke but it was more high road than I expected it to be. Also, the talk between Danny and Matt where Danny tricks Matt into creating the JC skit was quite good, showing how well the show can work when it counts. And from what I saw, the sketch was almost "South Park" like in being funny while pointing out the foolishiness in the mentality networks have toward that name ("I was burned, stoned and cruicified but it really hurts when people use my name.")

The stuff with the Chinese deal and Jack's whining about the UN show seemed a bit much and I worry about Peet's pregnancy making Jordan more a back-burner. But I do like how Jack points out that her independent streak does not make her a good pick for a network executive. I also loved the reactions to Tom's problem from all people. "Are you pitching me a sketch?"

While dragging this to another episode seems a bit much, I do think this is a great example of how the show really can click once Sorkin gets off the soapbox a bit and away from the actual in-show "comedy". I'm looking forward to next week's more than I thought I would and if Sorkin keeps pushing material like this, the show might see a surge in ratings which it deserves.
  • Funny situation, bad sketch

As I write this review, somewhat belatedly, I am armed with the knowledge that the series has been given a full season order. I still have my suspicions that the network will cancel the show before the first season concludes, but at least the production staff will get the opportunity to make a solid case for the series’ survival.

This particular episode, the first in a two-part story, continues to highlight the series’ pros and cons. On the positive side, this was one of the funniest episodes yet, with some wonderfully absurd elements. By starting the episode in the middle of the story, the writers gave the audience a reason to see how everyone arrived at this unlikely moment. The result was an amusing escalation from the relatively mundane to the truly bizarre.

Tom is beginning to stake his claim as an interesting character, even if he works best as a straight man for Simon. He also demonstrates a capacity for self-sacrifice when it comes to his friends. He’ll stand up for them and cover for them. Not every character has to be massively demonstrative, after all.

Jack also figures prominently in the episode, and as usual, his scenes are some of the most entertaining of the hour. In particular, he brings a certain realism to the business end of the story. How many of us know management with this kind of cutthroat attitude? Watching him stew in his own juices is just plain fun, and Steven Weber has one of the best sarcastic line deliveries in the business!

Unfortunately, most of the drama in this episode hinges once again on the exploration of religious, political, and social issues. It’s beginning to get a little tiresome. While a sketch comedy is going to have to attack sacred cows to be relevant, the situation in this episode seems a bit forced. Every time the issues creep into the story, I find myself losing patience.

Similarly, the fight over the use of “Jesus Christ” in a manner other than referring to Jesus Christ is funny at first, but the resulting sketch is hardly the “comedy gold” that Matt and everyone else seems to think it is. As with most of the comedy sketches so far, it sounds awkward rather than clever. In fact, if anything, the situation with Tom would make a very funny comedy sketch, if handled properly, which is why it seems odd that the writers can’t produce one in the proper context.

(As a sidenote: I also have a new podcast associated with my various reviews called “Velocity TV”. Current episodes cover “Studio 60”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://velocitytv.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • I hate getting half the story

Ok it would have been nice to know why Tom was speeding thru Nevada. Simon started to tell then Tom shut him up. I can't believe the joint in Simon's pocket. I thought his character was better than that. That was so disappointing. The Harriet thing was interesting but didn't totally need to be the focus of the episode.
  • They could just have made an recap-epiosde. And does Prum, Nevada exist?

I love Studio 60 but this episod doesn´t add up and I will tell you why. The show is always unpredictable, that´s what I love about it. The dialog is fast, clever and feels genuine. "The Nebada Day" is on of thos shows producers do when they need an easy one. - Hey, lets try this new idea! First a scene that is totally wierd. And we play the whole show backwards!
    It is as just as fascinating as a "Friends" recap episode. About the script. I can´t help to wonder if citys like Prump, nevada excist for real. Seems like they excist more on tv then i real life. And how belivable is it that like 5 people from a big company would go there? At same time? Trying to get one person out of jail. I really think they could have shot "Studio 60" even if missing one cast-member.