Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Nevada Day (1)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Nov 06, 2006 on NBC

• Another well done show. Sorkin successfully intertwines the past with the present as the show ticks forward. The story allowed for more storylines between other characters, and for John Goodman to shine.

This show was very well done. It should provide the springboard Studio 60 needs to stay on the air. The story weaves in and out of the past and present. Tom is under arrest, half of the characters are with him, half are going crazy at the studio, and John Goodman is acting as a prickly judge. Anyone who watched this episode will want to watch next week.

A few observations:

1.) Great cliffhanger at end: Tom is asked to just explain why he was speeding in the last minutes. Should be interesting to find out why.

2.) Peet is pregnant: No news flash there, but it is showing in this episode.

3.) A little Sports Night feel: Yes, W.G. Snuffy Walden has composed the music for Sports Night, The West Wing, and now Studio 60. I think it works well yet again.

4.) The Sorkin wrap-up: Sorkin was criticized during Sports Night for having characters summing up the action near a commercial or at the end of the show. Matt did this tonight at the very end. Like it or not, it's his style.

5.) More inside-stuff: The show is doing what it is supposed to do: taking us inside the world of television. No, it's not life-and-death politics; but, it allows us to see how Sorkin views this world, and is very entertaining.

6.) Smack at CSI:Miami: Matt and Danny take 30 seconds are so to poke at their ratings bully. Makes sense for most of us watching, ala preaching to the choir. Very funny, though.

7.) Preview looks great: Next week's preview looks exciting, as the emotions will spill.

A previous writer was correct in the drama/comedy balance. This is a DRAMA. But, all dramas use a little bit of comedy. This show is falling into the same pacing and balance Sorkin was able to find in The West Wing. I hope the people are able to realize it and watch.

Last thought is this: part of what is making Studio 60 fun (or more difficult) to watch is the added drama of if the show will make it to next week. I find myself watching the show, checking the quality (always been there), and hoping that I'll be able to watch next week, and the next, and the next. I'm hoping if the show makes it, and this outside drama isn't there. The show will be that much looser, and then even better to watch. But, until NBC picks it up for the season, or it goes the other way, that outside drama will be there.