Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Pilot

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 18, 2006 on NBC

• Executive Producer meltdown ala "Network", A new network president with brains, the hiring of the new producer/writer team, all seem a rather pat scheme. Yet Aaron Sorkin again makes it smart and sassy.

I did not expect to enjoy something that is loosely based on Saturday Night Live, which is a show I do not like at all. This is a great show. I am especially impressed with the ability of Matthew Perry. His ability seems to have really matured since \"Friends\". This show almost fills the huge void that has been left from \"the West Wing\"
    I like the snappy dialogue and the portrayal of what a network with a spine and respect for the viewers could be like.
    I am now keeping my fingers crossed that this \"smart\" show will me supported by the network and allowed to develop its audience and therefore stay on the air for a long time.
  • One of the best pilot episodes I have ever seen. What a great choice for the cast.

What an absolutely amazing pilot, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s usually really hard to enjoy a pilot episode, as you’re still trying to learn who is who and who does what, but as expected, Aaron Sorkin did an outstanding job. I already love the chemistry between Matt and Danny, and I cannot wait to see more of their friendship during this season.
    A phenomenal creator, A wonderful cast, fantastic writers, amazing directors… this show has it all!

Give this show a chance, you'll love it.
  • It's been a long time, long time since they canceled Studio 60 on Sunset Strip.

How they could cancel this show after only one season is beyond me, and after watching the pilot again today I keep asking myself that very question. How could they?

The pilot is a 'who's who' in character actors able to handle well scripted sharp dialogue.

I've never denied my admiration for Aaron Sorkin. Sports Night was good, Th West Wing was great and Studio 60 on Sunset Strip is so easily recognizable within the shape Sorkin molds the scripts, the dialogue and the clever wit rarely seen in other shows.

So when Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford are cast in the leading parts we're in for a treat. Add the likes of Busfield, Peet, Weber and Paulson, and Sorkin have once again an ensemble working his magic. The likes of Felicity Huffman and Judd Hirsch guest appearing in the pilot doesn't exactly hurt either, and all together it's nothing short of a superb pilot.
  • To start describing TV as "lobotomized" and "eating worms for money" is brave and catching and puts the standard high. Because now we expect from the who that it'll not be the same.

After this sharp start, the story gets a little low as we get to know the characters meanwhile the enjoyment is still up thanks to the funny lines. 1. Stories
    a) Matt and Danny
    We are put in the middle of this net of relationships that hold the characters together. We get to know some basic qualities all around the great friendship of Matt and Danny. How people feel towards them, why they left, where are they now. They are good and well-described characters. b) Matt and Harry
    Having a romantic line with the "I love you, I love you not" relationship of Matt and Harry, is aimed to keep female audience and I think it works. Their difference in opinion is quite important to keep them away, while it's also shown that the feelings (at this point from Matt's side) are not over. c) The executives
    It's not clear for me who is who. If Jordan's president then who's Jack? Why is he rivalling with her? Otherwise, Jordan is funny and likeable but the fact that she's always smiling is a little irritating. d) The big three
    Again, I have no idea who they are, why are they so important. We can only get to learn that they are close to each other. 2. Characters
    I've got the feeling that the characters are a little one-sided. Good friends, great professionals, bad professionals - everyone is either good or bad. One exception is Wes, whose both sides are introduced to us. 3. Why I'll watch again? Because I want to see how they'll reach the high bar.
  • What a great choice of dialogue in this well scripted pilot!

I had to watch this when I heard Matthew Perry was starring in Studio 60 because he was so funny in Friends so I wasnt surprised when I found myself enjoying it. I know he is no longer 'Chandler' so I wont talk about Friends, I'll talk about Studio 60. Great charactrs and a great plot even if Matthew Perry was only in half the episode! The once great sketch comedy show 'Studio 60' is suddenly close to cancellation due not only to its less than stellar on-air product, but another, more unexpected type of action, its Executive Producer's on-air mental meltdown. So enter NBS Chairman of the board Jack Rudolph and a new network president, looking to put her mark on the struggling network, Jordan McDeere. This results in the re-hiring of Danny Tripp and Matt Albie to replace the former Executive Producer and hopefully save the show. Cant wait for next episode.
  • the start of hopefully a great series

"Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip" got off to great start. the first hour of what could be a start to a great series. the series is based on "Saturday Night Live" and in this fixtional version of the show, it close to cancellation and one of the stars of the show played Judd Hirsch, came in front of the camera and went into a tirade, then new blood is needed to save the show. a new cast and creators are brought in to save the show. I haven't saw much of "the West Wing," but "Studio 60 On the Sunset Strip," is welcome TV at it's best.
  • Arron Sorkin has a way with words, but does he have a way with characters?

I have the Luxury of writing this review after having just watched the 3rd episode so keep that in mind while reading. The Pilot episode is the best episode of the series to date. The opinionated, well-spoken characters that we expect and love Sorkin to create shine brightly in this episode. Some suprisingly beautiful performances accompany the script. Most notably Amanda Peet's character which despite her very subtle, almost underacted character developement, shines with subtext that keeps you guessing the character's intentions and motives. However, and this may be unfair, but remembering back to the pilot episode of "Sports Night", at the end of the episode the viewer had a stronger sense of who and/or what each characters goal and/or arc was. In "Studio 60 ..." the only characters with true objectives were the executives of NBS. The other fall too much into Sorkin's liberal dilemma mind-set where everyone wants to change the world, but are too lazy to do so. While it creates good characters for films (i.e. Half-Nelson) it leaves more to be desired in this series. It may be accurate, but it may get boring.
  • The Pilot - Great start to what is going to become a great show

I think this was a good look at what is going to become a great show. The only problem with this episode (The Pilot)was speed of all of the events. Jordan was hired, Wes was fired, and Danny and Matt were hired all in the same night. But it is obvious that Sorkin didn\'t wish to waste time getting Matt and Danny into their posistions at Studio 60. So they filled the holes nicely and set up what surley looks to be a wonderful hour of television.

The cast is great. Matthew Perry is brilliant. Those of you who only know him from FRIENDS, have never seen how great of a dramatic actor Perry can be. And Perry matched with Whitford is amazing. These two have better chemistry than Perry and LeBlanc had. it is truly believable that Tripp and Albie (Peery and Whitford)have been best friends for a long time.

I look forward to seeing what is in store for all of these characters.
  • A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

A. M. A. Z. I. N. G.

I\'ve decided to watch this show since i first saw the review, and it hasn\'t at all deluded my expectations..

The pilot episode is well writtenand has some sort of subtle comedy in it. The starting monologue totally tells the truth about what really happens with some tv shows in a cynical but simple way.

Totally loved the acting of Matthew Perry, he has so many different expressions of his face he almost bilances Amanda Peet\'s one. Plus, i\'m a huge fan of Bradley Whitford since The West Wing, and the two of them together are a really great couple.
  • Welcome to the show...

The pilot does what any good pilot should. It has introduced us to the whole cast and at the end of the episode we like them. With only an hour to introduce such a large cast they pull it off without short changing any of them. Each character has been fleshed out enough that thhey come off as whole people not just stereotypes.
    The writing is smart and funny. Much like the West Wing but no more politics. Thats something I can get into.
  • Wow, this show had my attention from the first moments and kept me rivited the whole time. The language and depth was beyond expectation -- it was so clever, smart, and ballsy.

Bravo to a show that actually directly confronts the problems with television industry. Some of the phrases and accusations were so real and intense that I was even surprised that the network allowed them on the air! The choices of actors were all perfect, even down to the minor characters. I am thrilled that Matthew Perry has moved on to something so ideal for him -- not a friends spinoff or anything like it. The other great thing about this show is how flawed everyone is -- even the superstar network president Amanda Peet is not necessarily an admirable character deep down -- as the previews for the 3rd episode indicate. I am going to love watching this show all year ...
  • Great show with lots of potential!

This is a great show with lots of potential with a stellar cast and great writing which is the good news but there is bad news that goes along with it.
    It airs opposite CBS powerhouse CSI Miami. But still, it is a "struggling show" that is about to be cancelled until new management comes in just in time hopefully to save the show. Hope that Matthew Perry & Bradley Whitford will have second hits to their resumes. As they lead the ensamble cast.
  • It's funny that this TV show is basically about another TV show that needs help. However I believe, the actual TV show needs some help!

6.1
    Studio 60 was pretty promising. Aaron Sorkin, Matthew Perry, original idea. Yet... The beginning was brill 'jumped right in. But after the first few mins that was closed by the main title sequence.. the pacing dropped. Alot. The episode was trading water, idling, for soooo long. It was painful, boring. The ending wasnt much better either.

I cant believe how much potential did the pilot have - and how the writers didnt use any of it.

Good acting, good idea - Bad pacing, thus boring and painful. I just hope the upcoming episodes will be better. Good luck Studio 60 on the sunset strip!
  • This looks like a shining example of what to expect from the show as it progresses. But that may not be such a great thing.

Although I enjoyed the pilot of this very promising show, I didn't instantly fall in love with it. There were some obvious problems that can easily be smoothed out by the 1st season's end. I'll just separate it into pros and cons:

Pros:
    -- The first 5 minutes of the show. Wow. Definitely one of the most intense scenes I've ever seen on TV.

-- A superb cast is what will definitely keep this show going strong.

-- A very fast-paced look at what it takes to survive in the business.

-- The characters are all pretty creative. I really enjoyed them all.

Now the bad part of the review! ;D

Cons:
    -- The show seemed a little too fast paced for my liking. It wasn't like missing an episode of LOST where you're scratching your head at the end of the season thinking, "Where'd that came from?".

-- It seemed that the comedy in the show was pretty subtle. It was non-existent in most scenes but it was still there. I was thoroughly convinced that this show was a comedy...until I saw the 1st episode.

-- The writing was smart and witty but when it was revealed that Matt (or maybe Danny, I'm not too sure) was using drugs, there wasn't enough drama. It felt a tad bit impersonal with each character's internal conflict.

-- Referring back to my last con, Matthew Perry seemed to get most of the glory in the show. The other actors have the potential to be brilliant, but it felt too focused upon the "ex-Friend".

Well there's my review. In summary, since I'm guessing you're too lazy to read all of that^, the show has a lot of potential to become a legend of our time, but for now it looks like they're still gonna have to work out the kinks.
  • Studio on the Sunset Strip. A lot of hype for one show that was good.

I first heard about this show on the Tvs at best buy when I was buying a remote for one of my Tvs. I didn't know what it was I just knew that Matthew Perry was in it and I was gonna watch it once it came out on September 18. Which I did. I liked how many funny lines it had and enjoyed it dearly. I hope it continues to be as great as this one episode . Maybe it will do great in standings and hopefuly more sesons if it stays like it was *knocks on wood* .
  • This pilot episode sets up very valuable plot elements, but I think that it did have its problems.

I like most people was generally excited about seeing this new series, with such an amazing cast, how could it be anything buy perfect? But half way through the episode I have to admit that I was pretty bored. The stows premise is like a behind the scenes of SNL. Where you can see how things work and the various problems that can occur. Being such a huge fan of Friends I was extremely eager to see Matthew Perry back in the spot light, but he didn't show on screen til the episode was almost over. When he can on, his character added almost another layer to the show, and it was great to see him again. Although I do not think this was the best pilot, mainly for the fact that it was so slow paced, I do think that this show has great potential. So, I will stayed in tune and I hope that all of you reading this will follow suit.
  • I hate to give a 10 to a Pilot because you have nowhere to go…but come on, it’s Aaron Sorkin

The composer (Aaron Sorkin) has scored his music, the maestro (Tomas Schlamme) has raised his baton and the orchestra played beautify. Aaron and Tom should have their own network. I think TV has finally found it's "Brightness Knob" and turn it up to 11. And Steven Webber is back on Series Television "Hurrah" Are you getting where I'm going here…Yes I loved the Pilot.

Aaron and Tom even managed to resurrect a little of Sports Night with the Control room scenes and Felicity Huffman as a walk on, wonderful. Not to say this is a revamp of that show or West Wing but defiantly Aaron doing what he does best, setting a stage, bringing out the characters (in all their dimensions) and telling a great, interesting, and compelling story.

I was so looking forward to this Pilot, and surprisingly, without much fear I expected mild to moderate greatness, and was shocked to find real greatness. Amanda Peet played to her strength of directness, and fearlessness and what a face (Ahhh.) Steven Webber as an antagonist? what a great idea. Timothy Busfield, always a great choice as the every man with an edge. Even the choice of the Cast within a Cast for the mock show, with D.L. Hughley, Sarah Paulson and Nathan Corddry, very funny people, they could actually make the Studio 60 sketches as scenes with these people. Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford, what else can I say but great chemistry right out of the gate, funny and serious, I think both of them will really get to stretch their talent with these characters.

They entire cast looks right through the camera and right in your eyes and are instantly believable. No, much to my enjoyment, Josh, Chandler, Danny/Elliot, Brian, Alice, Layla and Darryl did not show up for this Pilot, only great performance from what I’m sure will become another great and memorable ensemble cast.

Thank you Aaron and Tom…I’m so excited…:)

P.S. Now all we have to do is get Joss Whedon of his butt to start writing again. Do ya hear me Joss? Do Ya, Come on, I Dare ya…;)
  • Early promise shown in Aaron Sorkin's new drama...

Finally Aaron Sorkin is back on the air! Having always enjoyed his work, and with the West Wing being the best show on TV for quite a few years (the ones he wrote), it would always be a challenge to come up with the goods again. It is difficult to assess the potential for a series based on a pilot. West Wing was initially conceived to be about the characters surrounding the Pres and not the CIC himself, but that's how the show evolved, not to mention a main character completely disappearing between series 1 and 2 (does anyone know what happened to Moira Kelly's character?!! At all??!!)

So what do we know? The witty dialogue is there, but a few of the actors will need to sharpen up their delivery. The plot of show within a show should provide excellent opportunity for satire as well as good old office politics, and Sorkin is a master of both.

Most of the actors have a good TV background. Probably the first time I ever saw Matthew Perry not playing 'the Chandler character' was on his guest appearances on WW, and hopefully he can lay that ghost to rest with S60. Bradley Whitford is always going to be superb, although this may just be a variation of his Josh Lyman WW character, we shall see. (not that I'd mind, he was definitely the star there!) Amanda Peet I hope will be more than eye-candy.

As pilots go, I enjoyed it. Now we have to wait and see if it lives up to expectations
  • Great first step.

It is just one episode, and it was a fulling invested pilot from NBC, so I'm not surprised that it was good. But I happy to see some good programming on NBC again.

The overall feel of the show was very West Wing to me. Not a bad thing, and maybe I'm wrong in this because I never really watched WW, but there was definitely a sense of quality throughtout the whole show. Perhaps there was just so many WW actors involved. Also, the pace and execution of the show was great. The dialog was tight, the moments between characters was great, the acting was what you come to expect. If Amanda Peet can continue to work this character like she did in the pilot, this show will be the hit of the fall.

More over, I think NBC will have a huge following for this show, and let me explain why. Aaron Sorkin knows how to write good drama, West Wing is the best exammple. However, the problem with WW was always getting that younger demo to watch. They (including myself) really didn't care about the life of the president, younger gens wanted sitcoms and fast pace action, therefore they grew up watching Seinfeld, Friends, ER, etc.. However, those viewers from ten years ago are beginning to see the quality of a good "low-key" drama series. By "low-key" I mean not the 24's of the networks, but just good non-action excitement.

This show looks to pull this off, using a context that appeals to the younger gens as they turn older. Fans of TV will be intereted a plot involving characters one a TV show, watch as business and network politics unfolds. Matt Perry only helps the matter, drawing in all the Friends fans from 10 years ago.

I wasn't going to watch this series when I first heard about it. Looked "too grow up", Sorkin wasn't of any interest to me, too much hype, and I thought I just wanted action dramas. But, I can now was Sorkin can do with television, and using the story lines of a SNL-like show is right in my wheel-house, seeing myself as a television fan.

I think NBC has a winner here... and I'm glad I jumped on the bandwagon.
  • good - but not great (yet)

well, it was a PILOT. so you have to expect a certain amount of posturing and presenting of characters. I loved the cameos but i guess my problem was with all the HYPE (and there was a ton of super hyped hype) for this show, i felt like i had already seen the episdoe before it even aired. I am very excited by the potential of this show - i already love the writer, director and cast. but this episode didn't light my fire. i'll keep watching as hopefully there will be much greater things to come. lastly, bradly whitford is awesome :)
  • A great pilot for a very entertaining series

Let me get this out of the way, first and foremost: I thought this was one of the best pilots I’ve seen in a while. Sure, it felt more like a play than a true television episode, but that worked to its advantage. It got the point of the show across without resorting to a ton of exposition, and the dialogue had the inspired snap to it that only Aaron Sorkin seems to be able to pull off well.

Sorkin seems to be channeling a little of his own aggressive issues with NBC into the story, but what were we expecting? Yes, he was effectively shoved out the door on “West Wing”, under less than perfect circumstances, and the network is touting this new show as the return of a favorite son to the airwaves. There are definite parallels there, but they manage not to be overly distracting.

I went into this pilot absolutely unspoiled, because I wanted to get to know the characters as presented in the story. There are an awful lot of characters, and there’s a lot of ground still to be covered. I think it’s smart to have all of these characters buzzing around the periphery of the first episode, so when they step into the spotlight more, it’s not a jarring introduction. The pilot really focuses on a handful of characters, central to the ongoing dynamic.

From a plot perspective, it had the same issues as every pilot. How does one introduce a world, characters, conflicts, and relationships within the space of 42 minutes and still tell a compelling story? Sorkin and Schlamme do it right. The “crisis” is simple enough for the audience to grasp, letting the necessary dynamics lead the characters into their natural introductory moments. All great in terms of mechanics, and if there are shades of “West Wing” politicking, it says more about the world of television networks than the limitations of the creative staff.

From a character perspective, I’m still getting thing straight. I expect it will take a few episodes to really work out the dynamics. For instance, I still don’t have a firm grasp on Jack’s role from just the pilot, but it’s more than I’m still digesting that corporate structure as presented on the show. Jordan is indeed quite impressive, but I get the sense of an naïve optimism. Sorkin can note all her accomplishments in her introduction all he wants; it still seems like she’s begging for trouble. (Then again, backing a show or creative staff often gets a network president in trouble, so it might just be her disposition that’s throwing me off.)

The main attractions, however, are Matt and Danny. I’ll be honest; for me, Bradley Whitford is the biggest draw to the show. I loved him as Josh Lyman and I find it interesting how he takes a similar line delivery and manages to portray a completely different personality. I’m curious to see if that will continue, or if it even matters. Giving him a drug addicted past is another possible Sorkin parallel, but he loves giving his characters a history to overcome, and dealing with addiction worked wonders with Leo on “West Wing”.

Matt, however, is going to take some getting used to, but that’s a purely subjective observation. I really like how his character is completely distinct from the overwhelming shadow of Chandler Bing, but I’m not as much a Perry fan as a Whitford fan. What I found a little distracting, however, was the painkiller connection. It was bold to have Perry take on a role poking fun of someone loopy on painkillers, even for just one episode, but I found it a little distracting because of the “real world” connection. But despite that, I really like the dynamic between Matt and Danny, and that will be a lot of fun to watch.

Perhaps the only way to wrap up my thoughts on this pilot, beyond delving into every character and every nuance that struck me as noteworthy, would be to describe how I felt after watching it. I wasn’t mildly hopeful, as I’ve been after dozens of pilots where the writers are just trying to get past the exposition as quickly as possible. It also wasn’t the kind of immediate home run that opened “West Wing”. But it’s very close, and I was definitely wishing for more when the hour was over.

(As a sidenote: I also have a new podcast associated with my various reviews called “Velocity TV”. Current episodes cover “Studio 60”, so it might be something of interest. Go to http://thrillridetv.libsyn.com if you want to listen!)
  • Pompous, pretentious series NBC is getting all in a dither about.

This is the typical overhyped, over-sophisticated and self-important production you can expect from the overblown Alan Sorkin.

The motor-mouth blather was novel in The West Wing. Now it’s just plain old. Who wants to strain their necks trying to get the essence of a fast-paced conversation roaring past you? I would like to see the actors EMOTE not just be some stiff talking heads. The only actor who had any credibility was Steven Weber because somehow the directors couldn’t force him to engage in that signature ping pong talk that drones on through the show. He came across as a genuine human being and was well cast for the role.

Regardless of frenzied fan reviews, Amanda Peet is poorly cast as the wonder child of a network. She’s loses credibility when she always seems to have a goofy smile on her face as if she’s in constant PR for a Miss America title. I know the writers wanted her to portray a network charmer (only because of the dialog Steven Weber gives) but it’s just not happening.

The speech Hirsh gives at the beginning is ridiculously contrived. I had to listen to that speech several times on NBC’s streaming download to figure out what point was trying to be made. The whole thing was so schizophrenic it finally occurred to me the writers were just throwing all kinds of arguments out there because they HAD NONE. To say comedy writers aren’t given enough leeway in this day and age is laughable. If a show isn’t funny blame the lack of talent of the writers and stop railing against the network or censors or whoever the speech was directed at.

And Mathew Perry—OMG what is he doing in front of the camera? The only redeeming quality he had was playing a punk guy on “Friends” who knew how to rip off one-liners. Now he’s in a dramatic role with zero appeal and we’re all supposed to sit back and marvel in awe at his acting skills. Pukarama, any actor could have taken that role.
  • Behind-the-scenes politics of television shows are sometimes more interesting than the shows themselves!

This was the one new show that I was the most excited about. I'm a big West Wing/Sports Night fan. In fact, I was so excited about it, I was scared that it would disappoint.

It didn't disappoint, although it's not a perfect show. Yet. I'm very excited that it has the potential to be a perfect show.

It has an amazing cast! Although Bradley Whitford did remind me of Josh in a couple scenes, I still adore him so much, and I know that in a few episodes, I'll get past him playing a new character.

Matthew Perry absolutely amazed me. There was not a bit of Chandler in his performance. He was great!

Timothy Busfield, I also love him. He was also amazing as Cal.

I wanted to cheer at Judd Hirsch's on-air rant. That rant was excellent, although I was glad that "Network" was acknowledged.

The only cast members I had a problem with was the two women. They'll probably grow on me. I'm very willing to give them time.

Is it Monday yet?
  • I love this show!

I loved this episode. I went in to this show thinking it would be ok but not great. I was so wrong. The actors were great and I was actually disappointed when the show ended. I wanted more and the show was an hour long. I hope this show stays the same and last just as long as his other show did.
  • Nothing short of amazing.

Oh, I expected this to be good. But it was GOOD. But it truly was an amazing start to what I believe will be an amazing show. Studio 60 has been hyped, certainly, but I think it lives up to it. This episode barely lagged for a minute. The dialogue was snappy, the characters were interesting, and I think that quite a few conflicts have been adequately set up. I'm interested to see how Danny's drug problem may color the show in the coming episodes, and how the Christianity conflict between Harriet and Matt plays out. Plus, I wonder how Jordan will act in crunch time, if she'll stick to her values of quality if her job really does get put on the line. Plus, Matt and Danny's first exit from Studio 60 was ambiguous, and I'm very curious to hear more about it.

This is what a good drama should be. Interesting storylines, but still a little funny. Matthew Perry has always been excellent, and I know I'm going to love having him back on my television every week.

Can you tell I'm excited about this show? Because I am.
  • A great start!

I think this show looks hugely promising. The characters, particularly Matt, Danny and Jordan, are all extremely interesting. They're fairly one-dimensional at the moment, but I'm sure that'll change as the show progresses. The script is extremely fast-moving and witty, so it probably won't gain some of the less discerning (read: people who only watch 24) TV viewers out there, but if the rest of the episodes are near this standard, I think the show has a good chance of being successful. Great performances all around, a very cool look behind the scenes of both TV shows and the networks themselves. It's great to see Matthew Perry again. I like that the show focuses on what's wrong with television today, and an executive who has more than pure profits in mind with regards to broadcasting.
  • A good way to start.

First impressions are always important so considering the buzz on Studio 60 it needed to live up to the hype. To do that for me, it has to draw me in, not just allow me to look in. In my opinion it did that, although I think there's going to have to be a little tweaking. The opening with Wes' rant was great. I've seen it before but the "Network" analogies on all the TV news broadcasts afterwards were a nice touch. The chemistry between the characters is great so far. The pilot may have been a bit rushed but all in all a good first effort. I definitely will continue to watch.
  • It's an excellent pilot episode and very exciting start for the series

It's an excellent pilot episode and very exciting start for the series... the acting and script was great the plot was okay the characters had genuine chemistry, with an amazing cast. The scenes with Amanda Peet, Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford are superb. The chemistry between the three is great Matthew Perry really is the funniest guy on TV and a star that you expect some thing great from him...And here you go, I really enjoyed the pilot of Studio 60 but I think it's going to take a few more episodes to say if it’s the “show of the season”.
  • Loved it, loved it, //loved it//!

There wasn't a moment of this production that didn't make me fall in love with television all over again, and [i]damn you[/i] NBC for adding yet another tjaddiction to your lineup.

Judd Hirsch was phenomenal, and his breakdown and rant were outstanding (and [i]so[/i] needed to be said). The "Network" references were handled perfectly (hell, the "network's" even [i]called[/i] "NBS") The tension in the production office was exquisite, Huffman was a delightful and perfectly-used shoutout to "Sports Night" (especially that moment when everyone was looking for her -- [i]nice[/i]) Peet is a complete joy and Whitford and Perry both found completely different voices for their characters [i]instantly[/i].

Sorkin seems to be completely at home with a pair of hip, clever guys playing off a hot, impossibly brilliant woman. He structured this perfectly -- Whitford's cooling his heels for 18 months and both he and Perry can absolutely use the money.

The "he's never not been there" moment was perfect. The tape was perfect. The sketch we didn't see ... I wonder if we'll get to. The sense that I get is we're going to be seeing [i]so much more[/i] backstage than frontstage in "Studio 60," but I'm sure we'll occasionally see some "intentional" comedy as well (although the whole thing is so perfectly written that it's intentionally "accidentally-on-purpose" funny throughout anyway).

I loved the exgirlfriend (Sorkin dropped some nuance into her character from the very start -- a woman with spiritual priorities but not a zealot), I loved the story Sorkin put on their breakup (and Perry's harder line on her 700 Club appearance), I loved the glimpse we got of the hack writers and the goofy actor (I loved how she shut him down: "You had two lines to deliver and you stepped on one of them) and am [i]very[/i] much looking forward to seeing their interaction with Whitford and Perry.

The money, the budget, the priorities, the funny, the presentation and delivery -- these are all places Sorkin has been before, but somehow ... also entirely new and better.

Let there be a hit! :D
  • If NBC has been in a slump in the past few years, then Studio 60 looks to be a resounding step in the right direction.

The pilot episode of Studio 60 was just another fantastic example of the talented team of Aaron Sorkin and Thomas Schlamme. The on-screen pair of Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford personify the the writer director team that is Sorkin-Schlamme. From the very begining, the show echoed much of the things that made The West Wing great. The lead in to the opening drew me in right away, and being a huge West Wing fan, I had become accustomed to Sorkin's writing style. Because of this, while watching the opening teaser for Studio 60, I half expected the West Wing openning credits to roll. The cast is terrific, full of querky characters, and an interesting back story that is only hinted at in the pilot, which left me wanting to know more about them. The relationships, and wet the apitite while not seeming like there is a lot of baggage to bog down the characters. Right from the start, Steven Webber does a great job of getting the viewer to not like him, and from the little interaction that there was, Matthew Perry looks to be perfect to play his foil.

If NBC has been in a slump in the past few years, then Studio 60 looks to be a resounding step in the right direction. I think that this show deffinitly lives up to the hype, and that it has deffinite potential. I'm not sure if it will replace West Wing as my all time favorite show, but as I said before, it deffinitly has potential.
< 1 2