Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 18, 2006 on NBC

• Great first step.

It is just one episode, and it was a fulling invested pilot from NBC, so I'm not surprised that it was good. But I happy to see some good programming on NBC again.

The overall feel of the show was very West Wing to me. Not a bad thing, and maybe I'm wrong in this because I never really watched WW, but there was definitely a sense of quality throughtout the whole show. Perhaps there was just so many WW actors involved. Also, the pace and execution of the show was great. The dialog was tight, the moments between characters was great, the acting was what you come to expect. If Amanda Peet can continue to work this character like she did in the pilot, this show will be the hit of the fall.

More over, I think NBC will have a huge following for this show, and let me explain why. Aaron Sorkin knows how to write good drama, West Wing is the best exammple. However, the problem with WW was always getting that younger demo to watch. They (including myself) really didn't care about the life of the president, younger gens wanted sitcoms and fast pace action, therefore they grew up watching Seinfeld, Friends, ER, etc.. However, those viewers from ten years ago are beginning to see the quality of a good "low-key" drama series. By "low-key" I mean not the 24's of the networks, but just good non-action excitement.

This show looks to pull this off, using a context that appeals to the younger gens as they turn older. Fans of TV will be intereted a plot involving characters one a TV show, watch as business and network politics unfolds. Matt Perry only helps the matter, drawing in all the Friends fans from 10 years ago.

I wasn't going to watch this series when I first heard about it. Looked "too grow up", Sorkin wasn't of any interest to me, too much hype, and I thought I just wanted action dramas. But, I can now was Sorkin can do with television, and using the story lines of a SNL-like show is right in my wheel-house, seeing myself as a television fan.

I think NBC has a winner here... and I'm glad I jumped on the bandwagon.