Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

Pilot

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 18, 2006 on NBC

• Early promise shown in Aaron Sorkin's new drama...

Finally Aaron Sorkin is back on the air! Having always enjoyed his work, and with the West Wing being the best show on TV for quite a few years (the ones he wrote), it would always be a challenge to come up with the goods again. It is difficult to assess the potential for a series based on a pilot. West Wing was initially conceived to be about the characters surrounding the Pres and not the CIC himself, but that's how the show evolved, not to mention a main character completely disappearing between series 1 and 2 (does anyone know what happened to Moira Kelly's character?!! At all??!!)

So what do we know? The witty dialogue is there, but a few of the actors will need to sharpen up their delivery. The plot of show within a show should provide excellent opportunity for satire as well as good old office politics, and Sorkin is a master of both.

Most of the actors have a good TV background. Probably the first time I ever saw Matthew Perry not playing 'the Chandler character' was on his guest appearances on WW, and hopefully he can lay that ghost to rest with S60. Bradley Whitford is always going to be superb, although this may just be a variation of his Josh Lyman WW character, we shall see. (not that I'd mind, he was definitely the star there!) Amanda Peet I hope will be more than eye-candy.

As pilots go, I enjoyed it. Now we have to wait and see if it lives up to expectations