Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

NBC (ended 2007)

Tru_Slayer

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip Fan Reviews page 2 of 8

• This highly-anticipated Aaron Sorkin project left something to be desired yet, somehow managed to keep hold of me. Sadly, it was cancelled before it could find its audience.

7.9
    Like many people, I assumed Studio 60 was going to be THE show for the 2006-2007 TV season. Though not a fan of The West Wing I was looking forward to watching a Sorkin show, especially one starring Matthew Perry (of whom I'm a big fan of since Friends). Unfortunately, the show was not as well received as NBC had hoped.

Many felt that a show about comedy should be somewhat funny. I feel that this was the biggest problem with Studio 60. The sketches were not that funny and/or over my head sometimes and most of the show seemed kinda preachy rather than lighthearted and funny. Despite this fact, the drama managed to intrigue me and I couldn't help but continue to watch in order to see what happened.

I also found it interesting being behind the scenes of a television show and seeing the process involved in writing/producing a show, especially one like Saturday Night Live. I think this was one of the reasons I continued to watch. No where else was I able to see how a show is put together.

While the show had its flaws, I will still miss this show and hope that others will give this show a chance with the DVD release of the series.
  • never should have canceled this show.. big mistake..

this show was not a bad one at all! i feel it was going some, its a show were you can just watch it on a late weekday, right after a hard day work and all. i don't understand they canceled it. just after a season! its certainly not for young people but come on they are not the only ones to watch tv... there are middle aged people would love to watch it. i feel mattew perry was good in this show. the show was well written, well acted and also was well directed.. well i'm gonna miss this show
  • Someone should definately rethink cancelling this one!

I can't believe Studio 60 is not coming back. It's bad enough there's no more West Wing. Now they've gotta get me hooked on this one, then go ahead and cancel it. I loved the multi-dimensional characters on this show. I couldn't stop myself from caring about what happened to them. The diologue was witty and humerous without taking away from the drama and emotion of what was going on. I really looked forward to every episode, and was never disappointed. I can't even single out any one actor for accolades because they all were top-notch. Please, please bring back this show!!!
  • The best sohw and it was canceled? C'mom!

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is defenetely one of the best series I have ever saw! And I do watch lots of series!
    I can sure say I got addicted to this fantastic program because it is so great! And it is also funny sometimes, I mean, there is kind of "sutil humor".
    The history was always exiting and trapping.
    I really think that canceling it was a big mistake!
    Besides being a great show, Studio 60 has an incredible cast! And Matthew Perry is the BEST!

Nothing else to say about it... so let's just finish this: Studio 60 is the best ever!
  • Totally uninteresting for none americans

This show may be great for people who have heard of the famouse studio 60, but, except for americans, the Studio 60 is completely unknown for the rest of the world.
    This show could only work in the US, and, broadcasting it only in the US might be only 50% of the money they are suppose to make on such an expansive show.
    I really think this show might be difficult to appreciate fonr none americans, I know I didn't. I wouldn't say the plot is bad but in my case, I was kind of bored since I didn't know what studio 60 was
  • Please, for the love of all things holy, bring back this show.

What more can I say? Intelligent, witty, funny, heartfelt, synical, ignorant, contreversial, relevant, political, complex, simplistic.

Bring back this show, in a world of 24, Heroes, Prison Break and other similarily vacous cack aimed at pimpled teenagers this is a breath of fresh air.

I actually went through a whole sign up and email validation process with the sole intention of demanding another season of this show, really I'm that desperate.

Watch the show, if you're at the network put this show back on, everyone in London loves it. I'll pay, I'll do favours, I'll even try and fill the 100 words minimum required for this review... ahhh I've done it...adios....
  • Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - Please bring it back

I thought this show was fab. I can't believe it ended after one season. It was very funny and I though the writing of the show was brilliant. I think the way viewing rating are looked at needs to be changed. As I work nights, I recoreded every show then watched after. In the first episode Danny could'nt make moveies for 2 years. This indicated to me that 2 seasons of this show was for certain. I can't believe there won't be a second Season. We need to keep posting these reviews to try and get the show back.
  • Studio 60...

From the beginning, the show was pretty much doomed since NBC yanked it from it's Thursday night time slot, to Mondays. I don't know if it would have done better on then, or if it would have died a quicker death (probably quicker though).

The show was well written, and the actors were great. It's understandable that people could be turned off by the politics presented in the show.

There is far more the show could have done with certain actors. They could have done so much more with D.L. Hughley, and Timothy Busfield. It seems like when then were used they were just going through the motions, with the exception to D.L.'s scenes in the last few episodes.

The only real complaint that I have about the show is it was a sketch show, and some of the sketches they featured weren't really all that funny. Also, when they had the news segments on, they really weren't funny either.

It's disappointing to see the show go...But, atleast we got to see it all the way through.
  • The only reason it was cancelled is because it doesn't appeal to the less intelligent demographic like stupid reality tv shows. It is a clever, whitty, sophisticated comedy, that also contains excellent storylines. A second season was definately needed!

I think it is a waste of such a good concept by scrapping the show now. I think that given time, it would've been a proven success, and a second season would not see the format became stale. It would've continued to gain ratings as word of mouth spread about it.

I am from australia, so the only exposure i had to studio 60 was by downloading it. I know that every person i told about this show who then watched it, fell in love instantly. It wasn't the quality of the show that was the problem, it was whoever marketed it, and tried to get the word around about it.

It is a show that is liked by almost anyone who watches it.
  • My very late appreciation post of Studio 60!

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is quite simply amazing. Aaron Sorkin is a genius. This Show Should Not Have Been Cancelled. The plot, the acting, the character development, the jokes and the drama was all so brilliantly done. Studio 60 took us back stage, albeit incorrect, to one of the longest and most respected shows on TV, SNL. Studio 60 went were no other show has dared to go thus far. I think this show was well ahead of its time, as Harriet said about a joke in K&R III, this show is a 'way homer', people will appreciate it much more when it comes out on DVD and networks have reruns of it when they have space/time to fill. I can only hope that Studio 60 does make a return, however I know deep down inside that it is very highly unlikely, if not impossible. RIP Studio 60
  • Another intelligent show dies an agonizing death

The duo of Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme are the best writing/directing team in television and Studio 60 was brilliant. NBC should be ashamed of itself. Having worked for an NBC affiliate, I know they have to play to an audience with an 8th grade education but there is still room for intelligent television. How a show like "My Name is Earl" can live and Studio 60 must die is way beyond me. In fact, the NBC execs should go on FOX's "Are You Smarter Than A Fifth Grader". We know who would prevail, don't we.
    I just hope USA, TNT or another network picks up this outstanding show.
  • The Studio on the Strip

Studio 60, is a Drama based TV show that focuses on the behind the scene look at life behind a live friday night show like that of Satuarday night live. The show is a work of fiction and is not a documentary of any type. Far from it...

With its intelligent look at some of the worlds important topics, the show is a must and the entire series should be viewed by everyone at least once... The show has currently been cancelled due to low ratings. But, many a fan are trying to get a second series of the show, by means of signing petitions etc...

Although the show has been canned, one can only hope that the show will once again return.

This show has opened the door for me in regards to the drama series. You have my many thanks Aaron and Tommy.
  • I think the show should have lasted at least two seasons. Matt and Danny signed on to Studio 60 for two years because of Danny's drug problem. That would've made me happy if they finished those two years at least. It will become a classic.

I think the show should have lasted at least two seasons. Matt and Danny signed on to Studio 60 for two years because of Danny's drug problem. That would've made me happy if they finished those two years at least. It will become a classic in television history. The ending wrapped up many of the major issues fast and even though I loved the show it did have a few disappointments. They never showed us the "Crazy Christians" sketch, nor did they show the sketch that got Danny and Matt fired. I'm sure that if those sketches were shown that it would've created much controversy which definitely would've pushed the show to higher ratings. Even with that flaw I'd still have to give that show a 10 out of 10.
  • if you build it, they will come. this is note just a cliche. studio 60 is a sophisticated show. it's not sometihng you can watch hangover and half asleep. that's why it needs more time to grow, but it will. pulling the plug on it now is an absolute waste

true, my house is about 14 hours flight from LA. my voice doesn't count when NBC wanna know what works and what doesn't, but if a nobody from the middle east puts so much effort in following a show, and actualy takes the time to comment about it, and has to use a dictionary every 5 seconds to do so, maybe someone should pay attention.
    even though i get to see new programs at least a year after they premiered in the US, i try to keep up (thank god for this website). i follow prison break, heroes, old christin, CSI and so on...
    but there is only one show i've watched lately that makes me wake up with a smile, because i know that today is the day i get to see a new episode, and that's studio 60. since ER in it's early days, i haven't seen a show that makes me laugh and cry so hard at the same time. this show is so well writen, so well acted, it's timeless. every scene is better than the one befor, every episode tops the last one. they said it was canceled because the ratings are low. if that's the reason, it's a supid one. sometimes good shows need time. seinfeld and friends had low ratings on their first season. ask mathew perry. give it another chance and the fans will come. it's worth it.
  • This is a great show. I can't even believe that they aren't bringing it back. It was one of the best shows on tv. Someone somewhere needs to do something to get it back.

This show has a great cast. There is not one character that doesn't work. The writing is up to date, quick, funny, serious, etc. The best writing and story lines. I love the quick wit and story lines between the characters. Just because some people cant' follow it - please leave the realty shows for those who just sit and watch tv and give us back Studio 60 for those who think and watch tv..
  • This is the most depressing TV news that I received since not being able to find Six Degrees of Separation.

How can this show not make it? The writing and acting is emmy-worthy! I say they should have "Lost" get lost, switch networks, and move it up to 9pm on ABC! How do we qualify Nielson Media candidates? If they consider another network, and possibly a new time slot, this show should bring more viewers that fall asleep before 11pm. Without my "tivo" I wouldn't have been able to capture this one hour of pure stress-free, captivating television. There must be someone that has the courage to maintain this show. Matthew Perry is as excellent as he was on The West Wing! How about all of the Friends cast get together and rally for this show? Let's face it, Jennifer dropped 40 points when she appeared on Dirt, that "insignificant, easily forgotten show. Maybe they could use their royalties and produce the show together! Bradley Whitford is amazing! And, their chemistry together deserves another 5 seasons! I say, "Give it one more chance, and have Martin Sheen take over for Edward Asner." But, leave all the other characters on!! C'mon David, Lisa, Matt, Courtney, and Jennifer - let's see if you are true friends!
  • This highly-anticipated Aaron Sorkin project left something to be desired yet, somehow managed to keep hold of me. Sadly, it was cancelled before it could find it's audience.

7.9
    Like many people, I assumed "Studio 60" was THE show for the 2006-2007 TV season. Though not a fan of "The West Wing" I was looking forward to watching a Sorkin show, especially one starring Matthew Perry (of whom I'm a big fan of since "Friends"). Unfortunately, the show was not as well received as NBC had hoped.

Many felt that a show about comedy should be somewhat funny. I feel that this was the biggest problem with "Studio 60." The sketches were not that funny and/or over my head sometimes. Despite this fact, the drama managed to intrigue me and I couldn't help but continue to watch in order to see what happened.

I also found it interesting being behind the scenes of a television show and seeing the process involved in writing/producing a showm, especially one like "Saturday Night Live." I think this was one of the reasons I continued to watch. No where else was I able to see how a show is put together.

• Studio 60

It's a sad commentary when a program such as Studio 60 is replaced by a program like the wedding crashers.

NBC could stick to it's guns and say the viewers- this is a high quality program that has a story worthy of telling. History is repleat with examples of missed opportunties- The Bealtles were turned down by EMI's Columbia label for example, that will be seen as short sighted.

I hope that another network will pick this wonderful series up and take for 10 seasons and make a mint while entertaining us all along the way.

NBC should recognize that the demographic that watches this sort of show is not likely to be sitting in front of the TV whenever THE NETWORK wants us to. We're busy- we TIVO or download from TIVO and watch it later. We're smart professional people with a lot of disposable income. Entertain me and I will reward your advertisers. As it is I will DL Heroes, but won't much bother with NBC anymore. Regards!
  • It is a crime that such a smart show was overlooked and now will be taken away from those of us that crave this type of entertainment.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip’s last three episodes showed an example of why I watch television. It was intellectual comedy with the drama of reality (not reality TV, everyday reality) and helped me stop agonizing for an hour about the multitude of inconveniences in my own day to day routine. Yes women get bashed for our “need to cry occasionally” excuse but it is true and that is just what I got to do during these episodes and I laughed out loud. I don’t do that easily. What was truly unique, however, was that while dealing with the hot topics it did so from both sides. Just when I thought I knew which side of the fence the writers were on the plot and dialogue would spin right in front of me and I thought that there might actually be some thinkers in Hollywood after all. Did this show push the wrong buttons for some of the intellectually lazy that tune in for their weekly moments of mind numbing? That can be the only excuse I could see for taking this show off. The two leading men seemed to feed off each other and I hope that if this show is not brought back that they will be given a second opportunity to work together while offered the same smart, fresh dialogue to work with.
  • Watching this show makes me sad because I know that this is it. They are showing the rest of the season but they aren't bringing it back. Which is sad because this actually is a very good show, and has interesting characters.

This show is great. I love the characters, and I am sad they are ending it. This past episode was so powerful that I thought how can nobody like this show. With everything going on with the war, the fight over religion, the lawsuit, and Jordan's baby this episode was packed full. It has so many sides and it's so easy to get caught up in. I am excited to see what they have in store for us tonight. I'm hoping somehow that they will decide not to cancel this, but so far not so good. Everyone tune in tonight!

I thought the season was great. Even with their little hiatus I still tuned in faithfully to these last few episodes. What a waste of great talent to cancel the show so early.
  • So sorry it's gone.

Sorkin had a winne with this show. If only he didn't use so many big names, the show wouldn't have been so expensive. Perhaps it would have suffered with less quality actors, but I guess we'll never know.

The show would follow all those involved with the production of a SNL-like show on a NBS-like network. This gave writers a chance to make fun of and work with a topic viewers tend to ignore: behind-the-scenes-drama. For those interested in the entertainment industry, this was an amazing show, even if fictional.

I think Sorkin's fast pace wit was too much for bandwagon viewers, and the number of people that enjoyed watching couldn't carry the ratings to bring in enough money to keep it going. Hopefully, Sorkin will get another chance and will try to work with less actors that demand top dollar in today's entertainment world.
  • Keep this show on the air!

The show did have a slow start but it really came through the last couple of episodes. I swear I was in tears when tom heard from his brother. It really hit home to everyone watching. The world is going trough this and to finally see it really happen on tv really makes you realize that there are people out there going through this and need the love and support. And studio 60 just knew how to bring that togther! The cemistry that the cast has is wonderful and deserves another season. I hope NBC will consider trying one more season. I think they would be trowing away a hit if they decide to cancel.
  • NBC was the child that got left behind!

After the last 4 episodes, I now declare any decision makers at NBC to be completely retarded. This show is a fantastic work of modern satire, and the most genious television of our time. West Wing was probably my favorite show of all time, but still was'nt as great as this show is.
    Whoever chose to stop production on this was most likely preasured by the red-state, conservative faciests, that will be the complete minority in the next two years. America is in desperate need of more shows like this one, and when everyone out there gets their heads out of their ass's they will realize it too.
    Enough of the simpleton dancing and singing reality shows.. we need shows that make Americans think, and we just lost the best one. Studio 60 will be missed by all of us out there that actually enjoy using our brains!
  • Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip will be greatly missed. We are so disappointed it ended. I sure hope you bring it back.

The show was great! The actors were awesome. Each and everyone of them were selected for their perfect part. Each episode was interesting, entertaining, never boring. Kept us tuning in every time it was on. There's not enough good things we can say. We can't even say which episode was the best because we enjoyed each one. It gaves us an idea what it's like to run a show like that. It's amazing. I am really disappointed it ended. I hope that the show would be brought back. I can't even imagine the reason way it was taken off. It's crazy.
  • This show wasn't given enough time to flourish.

My thoughts are that the studios don't give some shows enough chance to get to their "comfort zone". What's wrong with a show finding its niche these days? I will tell you what is wrong. It is the dumbing down of America.

We all have the attention spans of crack whores with ADD. I get the feeling that NBC didn't even try to save this show. They have their precious Heroes (which I find dreadfully boring--I keep waiting for something interesting to happen, but I digress)...As long as they have one show to get behind, who needs the rest? Why waste our time trying to save a show that, from what I can see, a lot of intelligent people like to follow?

The show is just starting to "find its niche" and now we have 2 episodes left? Forever?

Meanwhile--guess it's Two and Half Men for 20 more years....Goody for us.
  • The probably with Studio 60 is they think they are as hip as Ocean's Eleven. Insider linger, backstage access, hollywood under belly.. blah! The dialogue is rough and the casting is off with two of the main charactors. RECAST

7.8
    Two people have got to go. The Guy from Wings? we're not buyin it. The chick from the whole nine yards? Not sexy enough to make us think she is too smart for her looks and not commanding enough to make us buy in to her status on the show. The casting is so off that the dialogue has no chance of being delivered well and the actors aren't credible. The positives: Matthew Perry, he gets a pass. As the wittiest guy on Friend (and the only one who appeared to have any clue how to act) he needs to cred check. Billy Madison's nemisis as the brains to keep the show a float? great casting. I guess Aaron Sorkin fell in love but it works. Oh and don't forget: The West Wing was not a love story that kept the show running. Will Matt Perry get it together to win the girl? We saw this coming from the start. This isn't dangling a steak in front of a dog. This is holding a donut in front of a fat guy who just ate 2 dozen donuts 15 minutes ago. We see this in every show. Sorkin should do what he does best and make love the side dish and the drama the main course.

Last I checked: This is a show about a sketch comedy show trying to rise from ashes of a former producers melt down right? Why must we know every single aspect of the network. Reality shows, building a chinese vegas, producers having babies... too many side stories. If they were something we cared about maybe the ratings would go up but this isn't the law and order crowd. We hear sketch comedy we want more laughs and less note taking to follow the plotlines.

Recommended for: Anyone who wanted to know who Lauren Michaels is, why the cast of SNL keeps changing every year, and gamblers who want to know where to get their fix on their next business trip to Asia. It's not that bad, they just need to rethink some of the major players.
    I think that "Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip" is the best thing to come on TV since "The West Wing" I like the humor and the drama I also like the actors. I think that if NBC will keep it around I think that quite a few people will start watching it. I am a big fan of Bradley Whitford and I think anything that he is involved in is great. I also think that no one on the show has a swelled head. I missed this show while it was off the air. I beg NBC to give it another season.
  • Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a show that is so good, the network had no choice but to cancel it. It simply was making it's other shows look horrible in comparison.

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a well written look into the world behind a live comedy show (think Saturday Night Live). It's cast includes several familiar faces, but manages to introduce some new faces without them being overshadowed. It is one of the few shows that manages to interweave several story lines together successfully without getting the audience searching for their Cliff Notes. It refuses to shy away from sensitive issues such as the Iraq war, drug abuse, etc. Instead it covers the topics in a manner that shows the reality. While it might seem this show is dark or incredibly deep, it has a lightness and sense of humor to it that is rarely seen in prime time dramas.
  • I have watched EVERY episode (some, more than once!) and while some were a tad weaker than others... none deserved the demise the network apparently seems to plan for it.

The Christmas episode I watched once for pure delight, once to let the import of what was being brought up for thought sink in - and at least once more time just for the delight of good writing and great acting... etc.

The Christmas episode in particular was perhaps some of the best television in the history of the media and reminded me just why it is so very important to support "free" tv (what we used to call it a looong time ago). Makes me wonder if the network isn't undermining it's own show because it's touching a too sensitive nerve. I don't want to see this show go away. There is a place in tvland for intelligent, witty, timely and cogent programming... not all of us are in love with "Earl" (gag me) - please don't forget the viewers with a brain and keep this show afloat. Several episodes and a reported cancellation later:

Monday night USED to be one of my favorite television nights of the week. Rules of Engagement (I love Patrick Warburton), Heroes and Studio 60! Funny well written sitcom stuff, well written out there sci-fi stuff and poignant, timely GREAT writing more accolades to Studio 60.

Monday night is virtually dead to me now - it's DVD or history channel night now... sigh. When NBC moved the final few episodes to Thursday (with no fanfare, mind you) I followed like a lost puppy.

This show was a gem in the last ten years of network broadcasting. NBC is making a big mistake in cancelling.
  • Like the classification: Mildly interesting

7.6
    This show is ok, I guess, I have only seen a couple episodes of this show but I really don't know how much I like it because it can be interesting and funny but it doesn't top some of my favorite shows like Avatar: The Last Airbender. Although it isn't one of my favorites it is one good show! It does make me laugh and there really aren't any dull parts in it. This show is a show that I would most likely watch if there was nothing else on tv. Its a good show but I don't think I could ever really get into it, its not a show that I would remember to watch only because its not that interesting to me. Overall I would give this show a high C to a low low B.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8