Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

NBC (ended 2007)

Tru_Slayer

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip Fan Reviews page 7 of 8

• Difficult to hear characters; a little disappointing; will suffer by comparisions to "The West Wing" (too soon to have "WW" chars in "Studio 60"?).

There were moments that I couldn't even
    figure out what the heck the "Studio 60" characters
    were saying (either they spoke too quickly or
    were drowned-out by background noise),
    but I had the same problem with the "West Wing"
    and managed to get passed it!
    (thank goodness for closed-captioning!)

Overall, I was a little disappointed, but I'm keeping in mind that this episode was designed
    to get us immersed in the characters.

There were things I thought were amazing, such as Ed Asner being the head of the TV network; on the other hand, is that ALL he can do?
    (He's the head editor of Mary Tyler Moore's TV show,
    then he's the head editor of a newspaper in his "Lou Grant" show, and now, THIS? Geez, talk about type-casting!
    But, I'll admit he looked fitter than I would have expected!)

I also thought that some of the characters were ludicrous.
    Amanda Peet's character, for example, is WAY too perky!
    Most TV Exec's work 12-20 hour days,
    and she looks as if she has no problem sleeping!
    Where are the bags under the eyes?

Also, firing Judd Hirsch for his diatribe was ridiculous,
    because that's exactly the kind of thing TV Execs want to see! Anything for publicity!

Bradley Whitford's character wearing glasses?

Timothy Busfield's character being a semi-weenie?
    There ain't no weenies in the control room!

Matthew Perry's character being overly doped up
    following a spinal operation, and nobody stopping him from swigging down a huge glass of wine? Later, he jogs up a long flight of stairs two steps at a time! And then he miraculously
    sobers up near the end? What a great message!
    "Hey, kids, do drugs and alcohol and feel WAY better!"

And I couldn't figure out the story line between
    Matthew Perry's character and his religious girlfriend!
    They harped on the National Anthem so much
    that it buried any chemistry that may have been there.

And I didn't expect them to grab so many actors from "West Wing"! It's a little too disconcerting to see so many familiar faces cast in a totally different way, such as "Josh" being a coke fiend?
    And how bizarre is it that the studio
    would not hire someone who's addicted to some drug?
    C'mon, now! Hollywood practically REQUIRES it!
    And, wasn't the Judd Hirsch a-la-"Network" rant more than a little predictable?

The "West Wing" offered great plots and vistas because we know so little about what happens behind those walls and Washington's power bases.
    But TV is something we do know (or *think* we know!) a bit about, and there is hardly any place for the plots to go beyond the set of "Studio 60"
    (a President may travel to Europe, but why would a "Saturday Night Live"-like Exec or other S6 character have a reason to go anywhere other than their California venue?).

I don't think S6 will be anywhere near as good as "West Wing", and it will certainly
    suffer from comparisons to WW
    (which, IMHO, for the last two years, WW
    wasn't anywhere at the level of its first five).

But, I'm willing to watch, because there's nothing else on!
  • The Good: Excellent, large, ensemble cast, amazing production values, huge sets, intriguing premise, fast paced The Bad: Is this supposed to be funny or serious? preachy and pretentious, makes problems seem bigger than they are

Shouldn't the show that this highly publicized, and big budget show is based on get some cash and attention? After watching the first 15 minutes of this Aaron Sorkin drama, I couldn't help but think that shouldn't NBC be shooting a little money to Lorne Michaels (whose equivalent gets fired in the first episode) over at Saturday Night Live. I mean after all the guy is losing Tina Fey and many others to 30 Rock and because of large contracts. Meanwhile, Studio 60 probably costs upwards of 10 million dollars an episode to produce (Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, DL Hughley have to be getting a couple million an episode). My next problem with Studio 60 is that it feels way more like the West Wing than SNL. I'm going to wait to judget this fact until after a couple more episodes since the pilot was really just setting the stage for Matt Perry and that guy from the West Wing (I had to look it up, his name is Bradley Whitford and he's married to the mom of Malcolm in the Middle!). My feeling is though that this movie is not going to be very funny, and I'm positive that behind the scenes of SNL when Jimmy Fallon, Will Ferrell, etc. was there was very funny. I'm hoping it is not always so ominously shot with heavy shadows and dark lighting via West Wing and lightens up every once and awhile. That all being said, the first episode was entertaining and the writing is quick. I like the large ensemble cast and have always thought that having one gives more depth to a show. I still don't believe Amanda Peet as a TV exec, but she was OK. Matthew Perry was very good and I'm hoping he'll bring some humore and Bradley Whitford seemed to be pretty much the same guy from the West Wing....oh except he does Cocaine. For me the show was at its best in the booth during the show trying to organize the hectic live show. It was at its worst when the President and his cabinet...er...owner of the network and his minions? were in a room freaking out about 53 minutes of unplanned airtime like it was a Nuclear Threat. This is exactly what I hated about the West Wing. I hate when things are absolutely overdramatized and take the centerstage as an utter disaster and problem when really what's the big deal. The West Wing would do it when someone flubbed a newsconference and I hope Studio 60 doesn't do it when a character misses a line on a live show. All in all, like the West Wing, I anticipate Studio 60 being a smash hit and only hope that it sticks to its intriguing premise and carves out its own style. There is a lot of potential and though there may be a few kinks and cracks in its armor, I think they will be repaired before the armor shatters...or I'm hoping. VERDICT: *** 3/4 stars
    I'm Still Watching
  • Finally a show that is not centered on a crime, court room or the supernatural. More importantly, it's not a reality show!

It's nice to have my mind challenged with some good, creative writing. It's also nice to see some of my favorite actors on one show. The fact that this show is loaded with such talented actors speaks for itself. I had just about tuned out NBC for good until this show came along.
  • Show is promising but needs to get rid of the \"Harriet\" character. Also, viewers needed to be reminded that the actors on the underlying Studio 60 show are comedy actors. They should be allowed to be funny on occasion.

Studio 60 is promising. I enjoyed the West Wing and Sports Night, and this show shares some of the elements of those fine shows. I have a serious criticism, however. Get rid of the Harriet character. The character is completely unbelievable, and the actress that plays her (Sara Paulson?) is just as false when she woodenly delivers her lines. The idea of fundamentalist being on an SNL-type show is fodder for a comedy sketch, and not a believable character in a drama about the backstage production of such a show. Moreover, that actress is just terrible. She and Matthew Perry generate about as much heat as a small kitchen appliance bulb. She sucks the energy out of every scene she is in. If the relationship between her and Matthew Perry\'s character is what is supposed to fuel these plots, then the show will die a quick death. Write her out or dramatically reduce her exposure for the good of the show.

On a more general note, the show would benefit by lightening up some of the backstage scenes with the cast. I know that the staging of the actual Studio 60 comedy sketches should be viewing critically and in light of the underlying plot point to which they correspond, but the underlying fictional show is supposed to be about comedy. The purported comedy actors should show that they are funny when they are off-stage as well, at least occassionally. I think that having good comedy actors like Nate Corrdry and D.L. Hughley being funny would make the whole conceit of the show tighter and slightly less procedural.
  • Nice to see a change in Television.

I really love the dry comedy in this show. It\'s nice to see a change in Television. I was sick of seeing a new police/detective/murder investigation show start up every year. Mind you, a lot of those shows are my favorite. But I think this is new and it wasn\'t tried before and that really intrigues me. But I think the storyline could use a bit of sprucing but the comedy is really what I tune in for. I\'m a big fan of Matt Perrys, I think you have to appreicate his humor for what it is. I love Amanda Pett and I like that her and Matt are teamed up again and I think it would be awesome to see a romance between the Head Writer of Studio 60 and the President of NBS.
  • It's The West Wing, but less interesting.

6.8
    I loved The West Wing--the rapid-fire dialog, the way it made me feel like these people that are running our country are really smart, the conversations it occasionally sparked in my household about political topics--but the formula doesn't translate well in Studio 60.

Yes, there's plenty of witty banter, which is entertaining at moments that it doesn't seem to forced. Yes, the characters in the show are intelligent--but instead of the warm feeling I had dreaming that our nation's leadership was smart, there's a hollow feeling that these Hollywood people are good at their jobs. The biggest difference between Studio 60 and The West Wing is that the West Wing was sometimes about important topics, while Studio 60 is a TV show about making a TV show. I liked seeing that the president's job is difficult--somehow I can't quite sympathize the same way with a late-night TV show producer.

Studio 60 is caught in a grey area of humor and drama, and unfortunately doesn't shine in either category. I might watch it if it's on, but it's not the sort of show I'll go out of my way to find.
  • Lost between the West Wing and the West Coast

5.5
    I really like the cast. From the opening scenes, it was clear that there is a chemistry that grabs you attention. Even if Amanda Peet\'s Network TV Exec (Jordan) has the same level of authenticity as Lisa Edelstein\'s Hospital Honcho on House (ie, none), and the Bradley Whitford (Danny) / Matthew Perry (Matt) combo are cookie-cutter, smartest-guy-in-the-room characters ripped from the pages of the West Wing, the Steven Webber (Jack), Tim Busfield (Cal) and especially DL Hughley (Simon) portrayals shine. I give a lot of credit to Hughley. While Dane Cook has demonstrated how easy (although pointless) it is for an actor to play a comedian, I would imagine it\'s very difficult for an actor to play an actor, and even harder for a comedian to play a comedian. The rest of the ensemble displays an underrated knack for being part of the story without the need for so much attention. Except, not surprisingly, for the adorable Sarah Paulson (Harriet). This portrayal has all the subtlety of Ellen Pompeo\'s Merideth (ie, none), even borrowing the lispy speach affect. Although the actors are almost invisible (as they probably should be), I like the Ricky & Ron roles, even if they are a bit cliche. What is irking me is the cliche insecurity in all the other no-name upstarts. The problem overall is a lack of character development: It\'s being rammed down our throats that Matt & Danny are flawed people, but god-like heroes on the job; Harriet is an awesome star, with a hint of vulnerability (not); Ricky & Ron are insubbordinate jerks, but will benefit from the tough love shown by Hero Danny; Jordan is a hard-nosed pro at work, but has some skeleton\'s in the closet from her personal life.

I\'m sure I\'ll follow on for a few more weeks, just to see if they tone down the Harriet, take the token off of Simon, and move the spotlight onto members of the ensemble. I doubt it. I lost interest in the West Wing a long time ago because it fell into the formula that so obviously envelops Studio 60. The difference here is that while the West Wing was often glib about the rather serious matter of government affairs, Studio 60 is way too serious about the rather inconsequential matter of a sketch-comedy show.

The really painful connection to the old West Wing is the underlying jackhammer message that people in government / show business are smarter and better than the rest of us. I guess it\'s okay to hold your characters up there when they\'re running a country, but people loved Seinfeld and Entourage (and put up with that Larry David show) for embracing the exact opposite philosophy on show business.

Finally, under the fine-tuning category, I hope we don\'t get more of the show within a show. The \'Cold Open\' episode demonstrated that the idea of singing about your producer doing blow is waaay funnier than actually singing about your producer doing blow. Matt captured that moment perfectly: staring at the stage, through the glass window of his office, with a blank expression. I know how he felt.
  • It's about Saturday Night Live but funnier. This show is not funny.

1.6
    Well we made it through 1 and a half episode before we changed the channel. It’s nice to see chandler, but this show is boring, SNL boring. SNL is been boring and real bad for the last 8 years why did they think that they could make a behind the scenes about it. The only thing that can save this show is if they make it funnier and add a few skits to the show.
  • Makes me laugh out loud!

Yes I hope this is not a guilty pleasure but I completely enjoy this show. I laugh out loud and that doesn't usually happen unless I'm watching "Family Guy". No, that doesn't mean I'm stupid. But the show does make me sad, in that I've always watched Saturday Night Live and yet it seems to go downhill every year. I would think after watching Studio 60, they would get some ideas. Regardless, this show is intelligent, interesting, very well acted, and I hate when it ends. I find myself hoping that it will continue, even though I know an hour has almost passed. And I guess that's a good barometer of a great show...I hope the writing continues to be as good as the fictional writers on the show seem to be.
  • Could be WAyyy better

Good show, good actors, racist. Well at least to me, i really didnt appreciate the Christian comments i dont get why this show is so racist agaisnt christians. They dont diss any1 else but christians. I would deff love this show more if it didnt disrespect religions. I do hope that the show moves along with the romance and drama cuz right now its kinda boring and not too funny. I really love the actors on the show, its a really different setting for all of them and they are all doing a good job. I love matthew perry he is awesome on the show! :)
  • Read the Review!

i was disappointed after watching the premiere of studio 60. The only new show of this current season that i had been looking forward to, i was expecting a resurrection of sorkin's witty, fast paced and severley under-rated 'sportsnight' but instead the finished project seemed far more west wing than i had hoped. Too much drama, too little humour and a pace that dragged along, i pray that the show will be tweaked in coming weeks and improve on its poor start. I will bare with it to see if it gets better which i really hope it does and really should following such a sub-standard pilot episode.

After watching second episode - phew, that was an improvement, if things keep on going in this direction, better than the pilot, then I will be glad
  • The show has the same attraction as watching monkeys at the zoo.

This show has a cast of actors I really like. I like that Matthew Perry was given a chance to show he has acting abilities far beyond the character of he played on \"Friends\". I like that they pulled in DL Hughley and brought in Ayda Field from \"Blue Collar\". In short, this ensemble, to me, really blends well.

There are some weaknesses. The most obvious weakness, and illustrative of others, is the anti-Chrisitan theme. Attacking Christians right out of the starting gate shows how myopic the creators and writers are. First, they got Harriet\'s character all wrong. No dedicated Christian would be doing and saying the things her character does. Harriet resembles a \"cultural Christian\", not a real Christian (you can find them all over the place in \"flyover country\"). But then, the creators and writers have their own prejudices, and most likely do not know many real Christians. Even if one disagrees with Christianity, and many do, it is worth finding out what they are really all about before trying to portray them. I can only hope future episodes provide some correction. When I watched the first 2 episodes, it was like watching monkeys at the zoo. Thinking that all around them is all there is, the monkeys are oblivious to the larger world around them. They marvel at the people who watch them, without understanding. The creators and writers of this show attack Christians as if they are some mentally ill little group of oddballs. Like the monkeys in the cage, they think their own little Hollywood world is all there is that matters. They forget the larger world their sponsors deal with has tens of millions of those \"crazy Christians\". I am hoping they have a plan whereby they start off with this typical narrow minded anti-Christian bigotry, and during the season, come around to a realization by some of the characters that what they were doing was no different than other forms of bigotry - doing to Christians what they would never do to blacks, women, Muslims, or Jews.

It is good enough to keep watching, but if the anti-Christian storyline goes unabated, then say goodbye to this show after one season. You don\'t insult tens of millions of people who buy your sponsors\' products and stay on TV for very long.
  • Amazing, smart, and extremely funny.

Aaron Sorkin has been my favourite writer for a long time. I actually watched Sports Night, and was entirely outraged when they took it off the air. That show had an extremely talented cast (they had Raffiki (sp?) from the Lion King!!!). I absolutely loved the character interaction and the whole premise of the show - a show behind a show. It seems like Sorkin cannot get out of the mindset that a show can stand on its own. I'm sure many people have said he's never done anything new since sports night, because West Wing was a 'behind the scenes' look at the actual West Wing. Now its a 'behind the scenes' look at a show very much like SNL. In all honestly, I can't think of a better premise for a show, but hopefully after Studio 60 comes to an end (as all good things must), Sorkin finds another idea that deserves a 'behind the scenes' look. ANYWAYS, from the first two episodes of Studio 60, I can say I am hooked. Excellent cast, excellent writing (its Sorkin, what would you expect), and excellent premise. I hope that it does not go the way of Sports Night.

I highly recommend watching it.
  • Edgy, witty, sharp and funny

Great show! It was witty, smart, funny... the storylines seem tight. It reminds me of the kind of \"snap\" writing you saw on \"WEST WING\" (of course same cast of characters, almost! and stuff!) I liked the pilot, and cannot wait to see the next few episodes. I hope this is not a flash in the pan. I hesitate on some of the network shows, they give you a good show or two, then fall into the \"safe\" trap. I am tired of homogenized TV, this looks promising, edgy and fun. I hope it stays that way. The cast is great and Amanda Peet shows a certain sweetness to her \"uber-b*tch\" which I enjoyed tremendously.
  • Although Sorkin, Perry and Whitford’s previous work makes me overly bias toward this show I really do believe that it will become one of the flagship shows for its network in time. Firstly, what really struck me, even from the first ep was

Although Sorkin, Perry and Whitford’s previous work makes me overly bias toward this show I really do believe that it will become one of the flagship shows for its network in time. Firstly, what really struck me, even from the first ep was the world that the director and art director have constructed around the characters which is fascinating. The amount of activity in the background of many scenes helps give the audience the feeling that the characters are part of something much bigger than the particular conversation they are having at the time or the situation they are currently dealing with. Matt and Danny have been well established which is no surprise given Sorkin’s track record of character creation. But what’s really promising is that their character arc’s have begun already. I have found that, in the first few episodes at least, writers are consumed with trying to establish characters however Sorkin has already started them on their transformations. Such as Danny who announces that he is a recovering addict. We get the feeling that this new found honesty is something that he would not have exhibited during his addiction hence we see his struggle to change his ways and crawl out of the hole that drugs dug for him. One problem I had with the relationship between Matt and Danny is that they are too chummy. Although I understand they have known each other for a while and have formed a bond through their work in film/television together there would be heaps of unspoken tension and subtext between as a result of their past. Particularly things like Danny’s drug problem which would have affected Matt in some detrimental way. Having said that I have total faith in Sorkin and im sure he’s sorting these problems out as I type. The best thing about this show is there is nothing like it out there which is it’s great asset as it can go places that audiences haven’t been yet. My hope is that Sorkin and the production team exploit this to its full potential. Keep watching guys cause this one’ a gem.
  • Best Show on Television

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is bar none the best show on television. It had me hooked from the first minute. The writing is impeccable, another masterpiece from Aaron Sorkin. The acting (espectially the timing and delivery of the fast-paced dialogue) is right on target. The carmera work, too is great as we track through the incredible set, full of wildly active background.
  • One of the best new shows this season.

I didn't know what to expect with this show. Matthew Perry is a comedy guy...and Bradley Whitford is tainted by the West Wing, but this show was great!

It has an interesting premis and a good combination of characters. The show is driven by the pace of the 'show' they are making every week - so it moves at a pretty frantic pace.

I'm not sold on DL Hughley (he feels out of place on the show) but Nate Courdry seems to be making a place for himself in the cast. Amanda Peete is a stand out performance and really drives the personality of the show.

This is a great program and off to an excellent start. I'm excited to see where it takes me.
  • Studio 60 on the Subset Strip is a show about a show, in other words it is the behind the scenes look at a Saturday Night Live style show that has gone soft and is no longer the great comedy show it once was. Matt and Danny are brought in to change that.

Studio 60 brings it every week with edgy dialogue, interesting character development and camera work that is cutting edge for television. Nothing typical about this show, as Matthew Perry, Bradley Whitford, Amanda Peet and Steven Weber are the main characters in this drama that is satirical and yet strangely sincere at the same time. Aaron Sorkin has delivered yet another show that is tough to beat with an ease that is becoming all to familiar for him. Studio takes a look at the ins and outs of television executives, directors, writers, actors and even the set, lighting and camera people that make it work every week. Performances are gritty and has the audience believing every word they say. An awesome show and by far one of the best of the new season.
  • Quite possibly the smartest television show since Frasier, Arrested Development, and Sports Night... Let's hope it doesn't encounter the same sad fate as the latter two.

After seeing the Series Premiere and follow up episode, I dare must say that this is the most intellectually stimulating show since Frasier, Arrested Development, or Sports Night. I love the sheer amounts of quick wit and dialogue that this show employs. Although called a drama, it is more of a dramedy with tons of references and jokes to the entertainment world, which possibly the hoi polloi might not get or understand (which can be a coffin nailer). Once I saw that Arrested Development was dead, I thougt that it would be awhile before another "mental masturbation" (Courtesy of Woody Allen) program would be aired. How surprised was I when I had viewed Studio 60? Kudos to Sorkin and Schlamme for putting on a top notch show and I hope it runs for seasons... believe me... it's an Emmy contender.
  • Sports Night was before its time...Studio 60 is definately of its time...unfortunately have to many viewers been lobotomized by reality shows to really appreciate well written comi-dramas any more,which is actually a question this show asks in its pilot!

Sports Night was before its time... Studio 60 is definately of its time...both are great shows,funny and intelligent at the same time, unfortunately have to many viewers been lobotomized by reality shows to really appreciate well written comi-dramas any more, which is actually a question this show asks in its pilot! There has to be some serious questions asked about how dumbed down you'll have to start making TV shows for the American market if this show doesn't find an audience. I actually hoped that the success of some of the more well written than laugh out loud funny shows over recent years (My Name Is Earl, Desperate Housewives) pointed to a turning away from the cheap and brainless shows that more studio execs seem to commission these days,but it looks like it was to good to last and the viewing figures seem to point to this fact as well...come on America,this is a great show...turn your brains back on,pull them out of the reality show gutter and watch something that could actually make you think...if not,why not just save your electricity bill,turn off your TV and just stare at something shiny for a couple of hours...it probably amounts to the same thing!
  • Conceptually flawed, substantively juvenile and just DOA

This show is hokey, unrealistic and makes me feel embarrassed to watch. I took the hype, TiVo\\\'d it, thought the first weeks episode was overly dramatic, conceptually flawed, substantively juvenile and just DOA. But I gave it a second chance this week, and my ears were almost burning as I was almost embarrassed to be watching this, even in the confines of my own private home, by myself. Whose ever heard a studio president press conference, let alone cared about a shows writer and director? This show is cliche, ridiculous and has been subsequently removed from my tiVo Season Pass. If you want to see what fun Hollywood life is all about, seek out Entourage!
  • Who knew an actual good show would come out this season?

I saw some of the promos for Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, so I decided to tune in to the pilot. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of this show. Obvious talents like Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet and Steven Weber headline this show, but shows with talent aren't necessarily good or successful shows. The plot of the show is 100% original; I have never seen anything remotely close to the concept of this show. On top of that, it is acutally capivating, which you wouldn't expect from a show about the making of a show. I know that I'll keep tuning in to Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, and I hope it goes on to be a long-running and successful show.
  • Sorkin's old tricks work, but it's the speed and volatile mix of urgency and candor that make this pilot fly.

I must admit I\'m no Aaron Sorkin fan. His writing often strikes me as overly quippy, and he seems to be a major proponent of the walking and talking dialogue popularized on ER (and subsequently overdone on ER and everything else on TV that has any kind of \"behind the scenes\"-ness to it.) Anyway, there\'s plenty of walking and talking, quippy one-liners, and zingy cliffhanger quotes to make you stick around during the commercial break.

What really had me was good old fashioned story telling, something I forgot Sorkin also knew how to do. The exhilirating pilot sets up its own tricky, clock-is-ticking dilemma in its hold-your-breath monologue delivered just like Peter Finch from Network by venerable actor Judd Hirsch. Hirsch\'s character, based on Lorne Michaels, goes on an anti-TV tirade that his brave studio director leaves on the air, despite the networks standards and practices man shouting at him and threatening his job. The director here is another tv-alum Timothy Busfield.

Just when you thought the show couldn\'t cap its own self-aggrandizing opening, it dismantles it quickly with a barrage of television reporters noting the glaring similarities to Paddy Chayefsky\'s NETWORK. So, Sorkin seems to say, I wasn\'t trying to rip him off but maybe get a couple of kids to rent that movie some time. Fair enough.

Hirsch is disposed of without incident (apparently he had had enough when a skit was pulled a minute before airing.) Amanda Peet, newly appointed President of the network, makes an only-in-primetime-quick decision to hire a veteran comedy writing pair, played well by Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford. We get some backstory, but mostly it\'s things moving forward, with biographical backstory added for momentum. In its urgency, I\'m reminded of the outstanding pilot for Miami Vice.

The pair reluctantly accept the job to run the once cutting edge show (Sorkin seems to think instead of firing cast members to cut budget, maybe NBC should fire Lorne Michaels.) All in all, a swift, decisive, and thankfully not too chatty pilot.
  • i had no intention of watching it.

when i first heard about this show, i had no intentions of watching it. the idea just did not appeal to me. however last night there was not much else on and i caught a replay of the pilot on the bravo network. i was really impressed and plan to watch it the next time it comes on nbc.
  • Worst show ever!

This is absolutely the worst show I have ever seen! It was a complete waste of time to watch. I do not see how this show made it to air. Hopefully it will be cancelled soon so they can put something worthwhile on in it's place.

Here are a few suggestions of other things more worthwhile to watch:

An hour of nothing but commercials.
    A pot of water boiling.
    Grass growing.
    The laundry at either home or a laundromat.
    The clouds go by overhead.
    The back of your eyelids.
    Cars driving by on the freeway, while standing ON the freeway!

Do yourself a favor and watch anything else. You'll be better off for doing so.

The only reason I rated it a 1.0 was because it wouldn't let me rate it with anything less.
  • I never thought I'd like it, but...

First of all, let me admit that I never really got into The West Wing. I thought it was pretentious and overrated. That being said, I watched the first episode of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip with little anticipation. However, I was surprised with both the high quality of the show and how entertaining it could be.
    The plot is (kinda) original, the characters are involving, the writing is good. I was also impressed with the pure quality of the permanent cast, with such stars as Matthew Perry, Amanda Peet, D.L. Hughley...
    This show has the potential to be great, to be huge. Let's hope no one screws it up.
  • Didn't think much of it... But I Simply Loved it!

Although the pilot started out a bit low on the buzz, by the end of the episode, i just fell in love with it. Not to mention, Matthew Perry is one of my favorite male actors. I can't wait for the next episodes to roll in.

I must admit that i am a bit curious about the sketch... But then, i guess, that was the intention behind it... I am sure that this will become one of the most wanted series on telivision. Personally, I am hoping Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip will last every bit as long as some of the greatest shows...
  • Aaron Srokin Hit it out of the ball park again!!!

Sports Night is still one of my favorite shows of all time, and it really bothered me to be led on that it would continue but instead got cut right as the show was taking off. Then Aaron Sorkin had another must watch show with The West Wing. Again, swiftly becoming one of my favorite shows, but this time, when it ended, I got a sense of satisfaction and closure. Now with the premier of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, I could tell from the first minute of the show he did it again. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip is a brilliant combination of Sports Night and The West Wing; incorporating the best aspects of both shows, and some of the incredibly talented people that went into making Sports Night and The West Wing the all star caliber television they are. Personally, I am hoping Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip will last every bit as long as The West Wing, because it’s already one of the best shows on TV. Defiantly a must watch!!!
  • Seriously underwhelmed

I was disappointed with the Pilot...so much so that I had to be talked into trying it again next week. Perhaps this show will pick up steam, but it was trying too hard this week. The "inside Hollywood" action wasn't interesting or insightful. The worst of it, other than Timothy Busfield, there's not one character that's likeable. With all the hype, I expected this to be bright and funny. What I watched was so dull and predictable that I was bored 10 minutes after I began to watch. If NBC is trying to recapture the glory years, I don't think this is the vehicle to do it.
  • Not up to the Sorkin standard.

The pilot episode of "Studio 60" starts off great but quickly loses steam. The cast is pretty solid, with the exception of Amanda Peet, who is absolutely horrible in this role and completely unbelievable as a hard-nosed network executive. The problem is that after the opening sequence, any scene that doesn't include Matthew Perry or Bradley Whitford just drags, and this isn't the fault of the performers. The writing and pacing just isn't up to snuff here. The set-up is great and suggests a great series to follow, but if all the episodes lag as this one does, "Studio 60" may not last very long. A huge nod to Perry and Whitford though, as they are absolutley incredible here. Perfect casting here, with that one aforementioned exception.
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8