Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Christmas Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2006 on NBC

• in one word 'beautiful'.

another fantastic episode. the acting was as usual great, story classy, direction excellent, screen play fantastic. the show is gettin better and better. if i was not such a huge fan of SG1 i would had said 'tht is THE single best thing on tv'.its so well written tht u can see the episodes more then one time and still enjoy it.now tht the show has taken a new turn in this episode, i am diein to see the next one, how things will turn up. the whole cast is excellent and has a chemistry not found on many shows.well done guys and gals.
  • Merry Christmas! It really gave us the feeling of a great holiday season coming on...

First of all, this is a great show. If not from the Pilot, it is now. After ther Nov Sweep, Studio 60 really coming up to it's best. Every episode to date was the best ever have, and this one no different. So what do we get for the present? Matt trying to bring Christman to L.A? why is L.A such a not-Christman-place btw? and Danny was all shooting and hitting the table this week, but we all know he's gonna "say it say it say it" Cal was doing mostly comic-relief these two, three show. the coconet hitting the table was just laugh out loud. So the the sketch this week. And Jack's performence was just great.
  • This is really INSPIRED television!

This episode knocked my socks off! Aaron Sorkin does it again! He really reached in and touched my heart with this one. I am from New Orleans, now living in Michigan. My family is still down there & lived through Katrina. The part of the show which featured those amazing musicians (who WAS that young trumpeter??!!??) was so moving and fitting. I used to be one of those New Orleans musicians and I was SO moved!!
  • Episode 11: The Christmas Show

It was just what I wanted...I loved every moment...Danny really embodied the reason I love this show, and his emotion and want to be involved with Jordon even though she is pregnant really drove home how wonderful he is. Matt and Harriet was another fantastic moment, the way he just \"stamped her down\", this time he did it in time! Well done!
  • Matt wants a christmas episode, so him and the crew work on making the studio in L.A look like a snowy Christmas. Danny is dealing with his feelings for Jordan and in the end confesses to her.

This episode was beautifully written. It contained just enough laughs, a few aws (Danny's actions towards Jordan), and the christmas music at the end brought a small tear to my eye. Also, the way Danny told Jordan about his feelings may be one of the best love confessions in tv history. I absolutely loved this episode.
  • While Matt is trying to convince his people that Christmas is a worthy theme and Jack is fighting off the FCC; Danny is fighting his growing feelings toward a particular person... Welcome to Christmas at Studio 60!

This episode was amazing; scripting and acting alike. Jack is finally acting human; very nice to see. I can\'t imagine being in his position. Jordan\'s (as president) yes; Jack\'s- no way. Asner coming to Jack\'s rescue was awesome!

I love how no matter how much Simon and Tom and the writers try to convince Matt that Christmas just a ploy that he sticks with his gut and stays with Christmas as the theme. Whitford played perfectly as Danny was falling in love with Jordan. I love the chemistry between him and Matt; perfect- \"Just SAY IT!\"... and he finally did!

Matt kissed Harri! FINALLY!!! YAY Matt!!! When he went over to give her the \'stage direction\' I screamed- \'Just kiss her!\'- and then he did! I cried when Matt said that this was really their home. It had a double meaning. Yes, Matt and Danny as Head Writer and EP\'s have finally found the place the belong and the people they belong with; but it\'s more than that. Studio 60 (the actual show) is being established and I feel that if their episodes keep going as well as they have been, that they can go far. For me, that\'s just as good as the first reason. I want to be these guys (or Jordan) someday and it gave me this overwhelming sense of hope and something to actually reach for. With the delcarations of love, snow made from coconut (AWESOME), the New Orleans band playing with clips in the back, and knowing that they\'re home, the episode ending beautifully perfect, just like the whole show had been. HAPPY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!!

Okay, I know it\'s a lot like my message board post, but all well...
  • Wonderful episode, best so far.

Wow, I love this show. It keeps getting better and better, and now I am going to have trouble waiting until January for the new episodes!!!
    This episode had everything - wonderful holiday spirit, funny jokes (that Santa on Dateline thing was wonderful!), romance (Danny and Jordan, Matt and Harry), and a wonderful tribute to New Orleans (which oddly, the one thing I was really happy about is they said New Orleans the proper way, well, the way i was taught was correct by people from New Orleans).
    I think Danny and Jordan are almost as cute as Matt and Harry. I am always a fan of a bit of romance, and those two couples, I just love!
  • Matt the Jewish guy trying to convinve everyone to get into the chrismas sprit. Aaron sorkin at his best.

Well lets see Matt the Jewish guy(by the way I am Jewish so I think I can go into this) upset that no one wants to take the CHrismas SHow seriously. THen everyone going into how the whole \\\"real story\\\" of chrismas is a sham. Now I knew about the comet and the three wisemen. I knew about the guy who drew santa clause in the 1930\\\'s and I even knew about that the imacalate conception had nothing to do with the birth of Jesus but that he was actualy born in NOrth Africa that is a knew one on me. Is it just me or to have Jordan basicly having a virgin birth just to much of a cowinadence during a chrismas show.
  • This episode is what television worth watching!

Danny and Jordan, Matt and Harriett, Jack and Wilson. All this and more. The scene with Danny and Jordan in the OB office has to be one of the best in recent memory. During the show when Danny finally breaks down and confronts Jordan, felt the passion of his developing love. The Sandwich was priceless.

Matt and Harriett and a love song that is still being written. When Matt kisses her and leaves her a little breathless and befuddled, you know that they are not through as a couple regardless of how they act.

Jack and Wilson! I had not really liked the development of Jack up to this point. He always came off to me as a money hungry weasel with no redeeming values. When he takes his stand with Wilson, we get to see that part of him that really loves the business for what it is. I think that is great character development.

The last and greatest item of the show was of course "the city of New Orleans". How spectacular was that.
  • Some good holiday fun that shows how the show can really work.

After too many episodes marked by bad character moments and too much soapbox speeches, we get a terrific episode that shows the strength the show can produce.

The simple idea of Matt, the Jewish guy, being the only one to care about Christmas was great but Sorkin added onto it with the terrific idea of everyone busy debunking the various Christmas legends. Some bits were silly (Cal destroying the table with a coconut) but I like how Simon and Tom were doing all this to impress Lucy. The bit of Harriet offered the movie makes for a fun subplot for a while and liked how Matt kissing her was nice and quick. The one skit we saw, the Dateline Santa thing, was actually not bad, perfect for SNL. As for Jordan and Danny, it seems slightly out of the blue but could spell some nice fun (especially when the father comes into the picture).

Jack got great moments dealing with Jordan's pregnancy and the FCC. His offering to resign rather than hurt the network showed his true character. Asner willing to fight for it was a good speech moment too and it seems once again like Sorkin is planning a show over an entire network rather than one comedy show, it's a good plot.

The stuff with the New Orleans musicians was wonderfully handled, just the playing, no speeches on what they went through or class or race or stuff. It's moments like that where Sorkin shows the true strength of the series. Keep that up and we can see it rebound nicely in the new year.
  • This episode shows the true meaning of Christmas.

This Christmas special was easily the best episode of the series so far. As a resident of the New Orleans metro area, I would like to say that the tribute to the city was extraordinary. However, it was not only the tribute to the city that made it so great, but also the tribute to the wonderful musicians. I believe that I can speak for the entire city in saying that we deeply appreciate the incredible acknowledgement that the show offered, and we will continue to rebuild and become the great city we once were. Thank You, Studio 60 and God Bless!
  • Aaron, you always leave me wanting more.

Knowing that this was going to be the last episode before the break, I paid extra attention and tried to get as much as I could out of it.

A rocky start. This was the first episode where I felt we weren't instantly sucked into it's personal narrative. Sharp dialogue but somehow weakened and a little haphazard. But by the second act it found it's swing and I was absorbed. As charming as the notion of a Jew promoting Christmas ideals was I think the praise should go to that notion serving as a catalyst and bounce for the show’s writing staff’s almost obsessive research into the history of Christmas and it’s associated ideology. I’m still in love with the two young staff writers, forgive me but I forget their names. Fighting the urge to say young black man and cute British girl.

We also got to see the more righteous sides of both Jack and his boss, which is all the more impactful given both characters prominent corporate-colour in previous episodes.

Regarding the New Orleans homeless musicians story line: I didn’t quite feel the sentiment but that might be because I’m not an American. Still, well crafted and it provided an emotive final to the first half of the season. But that wasn’t the only component that book ended this 11 episode set for me: the combination of Danny Trip’s declaration of affection for Jordan and the falling flakes of snow overlaid during the Executive producer credit at the end left me dramatically fulfilled.

A subtle piece of writing with only mild uncertainty at the start. By the end I wanted my Christmas presents 21 days too early.

:JR:
  • What a classy way to honor Katrina victims

I got so excited when Danny told Jordan she better run because he was coming after her. What woman would not want to hear that from a great guy? Loved that Matt kissed Harriet and made her flub her lines. I hope they put Danny and Jordan together quickly but drag out Matt and Harriet.
  • This show is tops in writing, presentation, and acting. There is not a character I\'d care to see gone but I hope to see many, many more episodes of Studio 60.

With apologies to Bradley Whitford\'s character\'s history, I have to say \"Sorry, Danny, but I\'m hooked on Studio 60!\" The December 4 episode had it all, minus one. Holiday spirit; religious empathy; funny, no-lines-crossed humor regarding pregnancy, writers\' block, censorship, Santa Claus, TOASTED SNOWFLAKES, and relationships; and, oh, that music could not be beat! So, what was the show missing? That phony, smarmy sugarcoating that pop up in so many shows at this time of year was missing--hooray! So, the credits rolled with an overlay of some stupid game show that is taking the place of Studio 60 as of December 11. Please, tell me this is only a filler for a very short time!
  • OMG I loved this episode!

Probably the best yet! This show is incredible, fresh, new, extrememly well written, and memorable. I am constantly wanting more, especially with the chemistry between the two main characters. Matthew Perry was the perfect choice for this show. Every character is magnificent. I do not ever find myself thinking, "Wow he/she is a horrible actor, what are they doing?" to anyone on this show. A couple episodes back they hit a lull, but episodes like this! WOW! It was a constant thrill ride of excellent writing. Who writes this show? Wow, where have they been all my life? The dialogue is superb, it always is. Every actor brings such life to the dialogue, I love it! Can't wait to see what unfolds with Matthew's character and his lovely ex.
  • Touching and funny... simply great!

Wow, I am actually lost for words... This is one of the best pieces of TV entertainment I have come across in years. A wonderfully sweet, funny and also so very touching episode that opens new storylines for the future and makes me hope that there won't be just one season of Studio 60! I've loved the show from the pilot on, and it's grown on me more and more with every episode, but this one was just amazing.

This episode was an absolute gem, a classic, and the finale brought tears to my eyes. I love the banter between Danny and Matt, and also the banter in the writing room - and the gentle ties between Jordan and Danny make my romantic heart melt! I can't wait for the series to continue!
  • Simply the best episode of the series to date

I am not typically one to enjoy sentiment. For that matter, I give only grudging respect to things nostalgic. Too often, writers turn to the familiar and sentimental because it’s easier to borrow an emotional response than generate something real and contextually satisfying. This is never more apparent than the annual slew of holiday episodes, where character often set aside differences and come together in harmony because, damn it, that’s what Americans do.

When shows embrace the sentiment with full awareness of the absurdity, it works wonders. Countless examples come to mind. When writers manage to take the emotional undercurrents of the holidays and use them to reveal something about the characters, even something deeply familiar, it can be a stroke of genius. And this episode of “Studio 60” managed to sing its familiar song through a set of unique and textured voices.

I found it fascinating (and yet completely believable) that Matt, a character of Jewish background, understood and demanded that the show touch on the spirit of Christmas. Faced with a stunning array of agnosticism and atheism, Matt managed to hit at the heart of the matter. Danny understood what he was going for, and together they put together an amazing piece of nostalgic sentiment. I challenge anyone to listen to “O Holy Night” in the final act and not feel a genuine tug at the heartstrings.

There will be, as always, a bit of backlash at the constant barrage of “anti-Christian” items mentioned by the writing staff. In this case, I thought Sorkin managed to pull off an impressive balancing act. All of those criticisms have a measure of merit, and for some, they could add up to a reason to dismiss Christmas and everything traditional about it. Matt, however, gets it. It’s not about the facts and the figures; it’s about the meaning and the promise. One doesn’t have to be Christian to “get” Christmas.

Had the entire episode been the struggle to put on a great Christmas episode, it wouldn’t have worked. I say this despite the “To Catch a Predator” sketch, which was the first time I genuinely laughed at loud at one of the comedy bits. It was the array of flawed characters swarming around this common goal. It was the writing staff and their quibbles. It was Carl trying to overcome the silliest of obstacles to make fake snow. It was Matt struggling with his jealousy and undermining everything about his Christmas spirit by planting seeds of doubt in Harriet at an important time in her career. It was Jack coming at a difficult personal crossroads between compromising for success and standing up for the right thing. And finally, most importantly, it was about Danny and Jordan.

I took a lot of heat for disliking the manner in which Amanda Peet’s pregnancy was incorporated into the story. I stand by what I said; in fact, many of the same problems carry into this episode. Jordan is still a walking cliché with the compulsive eating. But I’ve also said that the writers are getting me to love Jordan, and so it’s no surprise at all to see Danny falling quickly and completely under her spell. Everything about his character points right in this direction, and I’m glad they bit the bullet and made it work.

And it works because it’s not easy. On the one hand, it’s deeply romantic. On the other, it’s deeply disturbing. Danny calls himself the “executive producer” in the teaser, and that really does define him. Once he realized where his heart was going, he had to follow it. His history suggests it’s not the first time, and it may not be the last. But he can’t let it linger, because unlike Matt, he doesn’t gain strength from the struggle and the angst.

Danny’s declaration has the air of victory. He’s a man desiring a chance at love and responsibility with a woman he deeply respects. But taken a slightly different way, it’s incredibly unnerving. How exactly will Jordan react to his words? If she has interest, it could go very well. If not, he’s just stepped into potential stalker territory. This episode gave us no opportunity to hear from Jordan on the issue, and so the uneasy question will remain, at least for a little while.

And so what could have been an exercise in sappy nostalgia becomes a far more complicated tale, a look at several characters at a crossroads. It’s no mistake that this episode comes at the mid-point of the season. That’s traditionally when the biggest turns take place, when events driving the rest of the season are set in motion. This episode manages to transcend that function. When we look back at what “Studio 60” had to offer, this episode will stand as one of the most potent examples.
  • Matt decides to put on a Christmas show. Danny realizes he is in love. Harriet has two old flames try to rekindle her torch. Ridiculous political posturing re: FCC.

-- Edit --
    Wow, 20 users disagree with this review so far. Look, Boston Legal also does a lot of political stuff, but it's based in reality and often on actual events. As to the criticism of this episode that is my point. Sorkin, in this show, takes a position and deals with the opposite political view in bad faith. And in regards to the Christmas stuff he has characters act out of character, especially the Mark McKninney writer character.
    -- /Edit --

Alright, this episode was par for the course.

The good: Well done romance. Some good gags (Heil Santa). Also, for once the sketch we saw the most of on the show was actually pretty clever and well done (To Catch a Predator harassing Santa.)

The bad: Anti-Christmas propaganda. Yeah, so for he most part the stuff they were saying was true. So what? Is anyone gonna be shocked about this? Would the writers really spend two days on the Internet rather than taking their best shot at this once in a lifetime career making opportunity of there being no writers but them? Would the Mark McKinney character really join in instead of pushing them to work? Just pointless and out of character.

The FCC stuff was just ridiculous. A soldier says F*** during a live broadcast because a grenade blows up nearby and the FCC is gonna give them a 75 million dollar fine? Really? The last big brouhaha re: the FCC was the Janet Jackson debacle during the Super Bowl. There is a big difference between choreographing having someone rips off a woman\'s top during a family show and this scenario. There is no way in heck the FCC would do this. It was just a chance to make cheap shots against the Iraq war and the FCC. I can see disliking the FCC, but be realistic. To top it off Sorkin has the Ed Asner character essentially threatening a Waco-like standoff if the FCC tried to shut them down.

Wow. . .

Look, I understand Sorkin is going to make his political points along with the entertainment. But, c\'mon. The endless pointless hostility towards Christians and building endless straw men can only alienate audiences. Make your points but at least make them realistic.
  • Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus...and he's not a Nazi...

Wow...even as a diehard fan of "Studio 60" I was overwhelmed with "The Christmas Show", by far the best of the season. For me it has always been easier to write a pan than a rave, but I will try. In one episode, Jack turns from a one-dimentional tyrant to a warm-hearted man with human frailties. The enigmatic Matt shows his true feelings for Harriet in one fell swoop, as Danny reveals a tender, middle-school type crush on Jordan. St. Nicholas triumphs over the Grinch-Scrooge writing team, and even the crust Wilson White is ready to fight to the death over television's First Amendment rights. Even the new English writer Lucy has two men acting like Alfalfa and Spanky competing for Darla's favor. I cannot believe that his episode lasted an hour. It seemed like about 10 minutes.
  • The best episode so far!!!

I love this show! To tell you the truth in the beginnig I would only watch because Matthew Perry was on it, and being a fan of <i>Friends</i> I figured I'll give a shot. But I have grown to like it very very much. This episode in particular was really nice. I was surprised to see Matt kiss Harriet like that so suddenly, that was really sweet! Also to see Danny fall for Jordan was so cute, and the way he chose to let her know at the end was hillarious! I think these writers have finally found the vibe this show should try to give. Way to go!
  • cristmas in la? another exsample of why there is not an lapd blue but matt presses on trying to get the cristmas sprat in untell he sees the santa giving the naiz sakoot

one of the funniest episoes so far we see mat pulling the cast an crew ( kicking and screaming as usala) into cristmas sperate any anything goes, well maby not santa giving the nasi salut. they even use choped cocanut for the snow. but above all that the big brass of the network is dealing with a potenchal disaster, a enbeded reporter was doing a live report with a solder when an rpg ( rocet propelled grenade) exsploded 15ft from them the solder droped the f bomb and the fcc ( with caddle proding from a parent group upset about the mere refrence to something that could be deemed regular languige ) is fining the network and evry affeleat who aired the report and that is a 8 figure sum
  • This is one of the most awesome shows on television this year, and my favorite new show. This episode just reinforced how amazing "Studio 60" can be.

I loved how even though Matt is Jewish, he still cares about the Christmas show. (Although one out-of-character remark: "I think the virgin birth probably did have something to do with Christmas," would a Jewish guy say that? I don't think so.) Even when he has to smack the rest of the cast and crew over the head to agree with him about it. Someone commented on the politics of the show in a previous review, and I recently saw something about that in TV Guide magazine. It's true, the show does get relentlessly political sometimes, but this is the kind of thing people in Hollywood really do talk about. If Matt and Danny didn't discuss and weren't knowledgable about the major issues, how could they write sketches about them? It's easier to just forget about how one-sided the politics of the show usually are and just go with it (that's how it is).
    I have loved the Danny-Jordan dynamic since the first episode, and the somewhat-culmination of that was just beautiful. I thought, if anything, her pregnancy would stop Danny from making his move, but thankfully the show didn't go in that direction. I would hate to see that drag out for longer (although some people seem not to have seen that coming; how could you not?). I hope his confession doesn't screw up their relationship unduly, though, on the off chance that Jordan could ever resist Bradley Whitford's charm.
    I also like that, after teasing the audience for-how many episodes has it been?-a long time, the writers finally decide to give us a very romantic Matt-Harriet kiss. (I can't decide which was hotter, though, Matt and Harry or Matt and Lucy from a couple episodes ago. Someone may need to smack me to get me to stop thinking about that.) I don't think this will clear up their relationship at all, because they are both way too stubborn for that, but it was the perfect moment and a good scene. My favorite scene, though, was when Harriet came to speak to Danny about her movie deal. Perfect dialogue and miraculous, spectacular acting. Is there a better actor alive than Bradley Whitford? He had better get the Emmy for this episode, or I will set out on a hardcore Emmy-bashing smear campaign. Who is with me?
    All in all, episode was supercalifragilisticexpialadocious. Because there is no other word for it.
  • I loved this episode. It contains everything that makes a Sorkin show great, but it's not without its problems. Spoilers.

I waited five days to review this episode because I wanted to make sure I really believed what I said about it. We have the adorable cuteness of new love, the spirit of Christmas, a minor crisis, a touching act of kindness, and Jack trying to fight the good fight. It just left me giggly and gave me the warm fuzzies all over.

Before I get into what I loved about this episode, I have a few nits to pick. I’m putting them first instead of at the end because I don’t want to leave anyone with a bad taste in his or her mouth over this wonderful ep.

Why was Jordan wearing a red tent in the beginning? I know she is pregnant, but pregnant women can still look great as we saw in the meeting with the lawyers about the FCC problems. That awful red dress made me feel like the circus was coming to town. Also, the eating for two was a lame stereotype, just as bad as if she had been puking all over the place; and Sorkin used the pretty girl interrupting the meeting for food before. Remember Ainsley Hayes in the West Wing. I have said on the forum that it’s ok for Studio 60 to resemble the West Wing, but recycling the same gimmick is just lazy an Sorkin should know better.

Jack’s language about the FCC thing bothered me. Yes, I take offense at using the Lord’s name in vain, but even if I didn’t, with the FCC discussion following immediately after, it was a blatant shot at the censors. I think having him shout, “Bastards! Those son of a b*tching bastards!” would have adequately conveyed Jack’s anger without being so obvious about Sorkin challenging network standards.

The coconut splitting the table was stupid shtick. I guess it was funny, but it was more on the order of Wyle E. Coyote or the Three Stooges than anything that pretends to be realistic. I also thought Simon and Tom’s obvious flirtation with Lucy was annoying. If Sorkin wants to work that kind of thing into the storyline, he should do it with some subtlety so the guys don’t look like idiots. At least he restrained himself from having Lucy fall for it. That would have made her just another stereotypical "dumb blonde.”

Now that I have explained why this ep doesn’t get a perfect ten, let me tell you why it deserves a 9.5.

Danny has two very telling lines in the teaser. When he tells Jordan he doesn't want to know the father of her baby, she asks why. His adamant comment, "If he was someone I wanted to know, he'd be here," shows us just how much he cares for her, but it takes her a little longer to figure it out. When the doctor confirms her pregnancy, his delighted, excited "We're having a baby?" is absolutely precious and we really want to see them become a happy little family.

Matt as the spirit of Christmas is great. Remember when he was amost afraid to take Wes's office in the beginning and then watch him breaking Wes's traditions now and you know he's really making the show his own. He has to coerce the writers a bit, but Danny's support and Cal's can-do attitude about the coconut snow shows us that everybody is getting behind him.

I loved Jack's rant about the f-word on the news and the FCC's fines. He made a good point about how the pro-family and conservative Christian groups support the war as long as they don't have to see the horrifying reality of it. Even though it's fiction, I was just as incensed as Jack about the FCC hypocrites fining the network over a single obscenity on a live news broadcast.

The way Jordan's announcement completely took the wind out of his sails was hilarious. I don't care how angry you are, you can't help being happy for a woman who's having a baby and appears to be happy about it herself. The way Jordan then urges him to "Fight 'em, Jack," takes me back to the "You've got spunk, Mary," quote from the first episode. She certainly does, and pregnant or not, she's a good one to have beside you when you're fighting the good fight.

Simon and Tom's humbugging was annoying at first, and the way they sucked the writers into it and undermined Matt’s vision was appalling; but it served a purpose. By the end of the show, I realized that sometimes the facts surrounding an event don't matter nearly as much as the way it affects people. Luke Scott, the producer who wants Harriet for his movie, is a cutie and I would like to see more of him, but not if it means watching Matt go insane. I found Matt’s comments about Luke repugnant and the abs of granite shtick lame, and I really would prefer not to see its like again. I’m finding I don’t care a whit about Matt and Harriet’s love life. The best thing that could happen with them would be for them to "just be friends." But I would like to see things heat up between Jordan and Danny.

I think I fell in love with Jack at the end of the episode when he finally speaks with Wilson White about the f-word incident. You could really see his internal struggle and his grief about the decision he had made to leave the network because he couldn’t bring himself to bow to the FCC in order to protect Wilson’s dream of a merger in China. You get a real sense of the mentor/protégé relationship they share. Wilson’s speech was quite moving, and I swear I saw Jack shed a tear. I imagine he was relieved to find that his friend supported his position and overjoyed that he wouldn’t have to be leaving. You could just see him perk up throughout the speech. I also think it was sweet the Wilson wanted him to meet his grandkids.

Danny’s confession to Jordan at the end was expected, but it was perfect. It was exactly what I wanted to see. The ‘City of New Orleans’ was poignant and poetic and served to remind those of us who have food, shelter, and most of all a family to love us, us how blessed we are.

And it all ended with the delicious irony of two Jewish funny guys wishing each other a sentimental Merry Christmas while it miraculously snows on the City of New Orleans.

That’s what makes this show so great.
  • Well-written, well-acted. Easily the best episode thus far.

I've been faithfully following Studio 60 since it started, and the whole season so far has been amazing. A couple of episodes have wowed me, but nothing beats "The Christmas Show". It had everything that makes a perfect episode, and every second of it was not to be missed.

My favourite scenes in the show have always been the conversations between Matt and Danny because both Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford carry their characters with such talent that their friendship is so believable. This episode further established their bond by the fact that Matt picked up immediately on Danny’s feelings for Jordan before Danny could admit it to himself.

Apart from Matt and Danny, though, another amazing pairing was revealed with the hilarious opening scenes with Danny and Jordan in the waiting room. The dialogue was brilliantly written, and the actors kept the rhythm going, making a perfect opening. I would have been in stitches if I hadn’t been trying to control my laughter so that I wouldn’t miss a word.

Matt’s determination to spread the Christmas cheer around Studio 60 is foiled by humorously practical reasons from Simon and Tom, who spread their scrooge-y ways to the writers room (or what’s left of it). Cal’s moments in the show brought funny to a whole new level when he tried to break the coconut on the table and broke the table instead.

What was truly amazing, however, was the character development that took place. With all the episodes we’ve seen, we’ve come to expect certain behaviors from each of the characters. But just when you think you know them, a curveball is thrown at us. This episode showed us an entirely different side of Jack Rudolph. Yes, ladies and gents, he really does have a heart. It is the revelation of each character’s multi-facets that makes us see them as more and more real every episode. It just makes me want to watch more to know more about them.

An absolutely stunning performance by the band from New Orleans that paid a classy tribute from Studio 60 to the Katrina victims. I could be biased since “O Holy Night” is my favorite Christmas song ever, but this has got to be the best rendition of the song I have ever heard before. It made me tear just a little.

With fabulous acting and an amazing script, this episode has shown us just what Studio 60 is made of. My only question is: how are the writers going to top this?
  • Above and beyond anything we've seen so far. The best episode yet, hands down.

While the whole series thus far has been entertaining, engaging, and truly above-par so far, I have to say that this is the best episode yet. First of all, it manages to capture that delicate balance between humor, drama, and actually furthering the storyline. Over the course of an hour, Harriet gets a movie deal, a bunch of musicians from New Orleans show up, Matt finally kisses Harriet, and Danny reveals his feelings for a very pregnant Jordan. And somehow, none of it felt rushed.
    The episode was also a great vehicle for further developing Jack's character. More than any other character on the show, he is easily the most conflicted in terms of balancing his strong set of personal principles with his duty to see the network succeed commercially. That dichotomy really came into play this week. Besides, it was great to see him without a necktie.
    The humor in the episode was also well-done and totally appropriate. I personally got a kick out of Matt's earnest Christmas spirit, which somehow overtook his usual cynicism. That provided a nice change of pace.
  • "oh holy night" gets me every time

aaron sorkin sure can write em. i love how he compares and contrasts things. the west wing was known for being a predominantly liberal show. however, he likes to show both sides of things, and just when you think he couldnt go any farther left he will show a shining conservative moment. i think he does the same thing in this episode with christmas. he has the writing staff going over all these 'debunkings of christmas' and it plays out like a davinci code attack on christianity. but at the last moment he brings in the brass band and they play oh holy night and all the magic of this episode comes together and through the music he is saying "maybe there are all these flaws with the origins of christmas, but does that even matter? the magic is still all around us" merry christmas
  • The obligatory Christmas show. There\'s still that URST between Harriet and Matt, and Danny confronts a pregnant Jordan with a bombshell.

Absolutely Aaron Sorkin at his magnificent best. Snappy repartee, witty banter, amazing chemistry between the co-stars, and an amazing goose bumpy ending. Matt and Danny continue their banter, Danny has a fantastic monologue to Jordan, and Matt finally does something about his feelings for Harriet, and the continuing saga of guys asking her out. The other characters keep coming too, with Timothy Busfield showing strong characteristics and everyone else pitching in. In typical Sorkin style, the ending is beautiful, bordering on extremely emotional. A beautiful jazzy rendition of O Holy Night, coupled with gorgeous glances between co-stars. A very special episode.
  • Matt and Harriet, Danny and Jordan, Jack and Wilson, man there are a lot of Christmas miracles happening on this episode. Matt does not need mistletoe to kiss Harriet, Danny puts his heart out on his sleeve for Jordan to see, and Jack gets reassurance.

A lot is happening in this episode, but the surprise was Danny's acknowledgement of his feelings to a pregant Jordan with a face full of food. I did not see it coming so early. Matt's jealousy gets the better of him as he snatches a kiss from Harriet, without mistletoe to my recollection, but he does not need any excuses anyways. And Jack almost resigns because of the FCC but gets backing from Wilson White.

This show lives up to its high standard of comedy, and those quick lines keep me laughing profusely. I found this episode to be as good if not better than the first episode because of its straightforward scenes and witty banter between characters whose closeness can be seen from their open bickering and humorous oneliners. The Christmas season brings the prospect of friends and family, the possiblity of spending time together as opposed to apart. I got a sense of that from this esisode. Matt and Danny sum it up quite nicely: Matt: "We do live here now." Danny: "Merry Christmas." Matt: "Merry Christmas."
  • A charlie Brown Christmas at Studio 60.

We need a little Christmas to cheer up Studio 60 after what the cast has gone though, they deserved it. Amanda Peet's got an bum in the oven and I predict she could go into labor durning the May sweeps. Meahwhile the relationship between Danny and Jordan is heating up. the network may be fined $350,000 for show viewers the horrors of war. So much for the President Bush's war in Iraq. I'm glad that the show has taken a stance aganist the FCC $350,000 indeacey ruling. Thge end of the hour featuring music for the holiday. that alone has earned a 10.
  • Shame Xmas comes but once a year

I've been tuning in each week to Studio 60 in the hope that it would reach the heights that its cast and writer deserve. I only realised this afternoon that it's getting there because I woke up this morning wanting to see the episode again! So I hit play on my PVR and laughed. A lot. It is getting there. I also realised that finally everyone is getting some spotlight as opposed to early in the season when things were only interesting when Matt and Danny were on the screen

I love the fact that Matt the non-Christian is trying to get everyone else into the spirit of Xmas, a position I frequently find myself in. I love Danny admitting to Jordan how he feels about her. In an ensemble cast, this cannot be classified as shark-jumping in my opinion, contrary to some other people's belief. I love Jack's character showing some heart and standing up for his beliefs. And I love Cal trying to open a coconut!

So many great lines in this episode, but my faves(abridged)...

Matt (to Danny and Cal) - I'm the miracle on Sunset Strip, and you are, you know... two other guys.

Matt - Shaved coconuts for the snow, AND they're indigenous to LA.
    Danny - Not they're not
    Matt - They grow on palm trees
    Danny - Not ours
    Matt - What do ours do?
    Danny - Nothing!

I want more episodes like this please!!!
< 1 2