Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Christmas Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2006 on NBC

• Some good holiday fun that shows how the show can really work.

After too many episodes marked by bad character moments and too much soapbox speeches, we get a terrific episode that shows the strength the show can produce.

The simple idea of Matt, the Jewish guy, being the only one to care about Christmas was great but Sorkin added onto it with the terrific idea of everyone busy debunking the various Christmas legends. Some bits were silly (Cal destroying the table with a coconut) but I like how Simon and Tom were doing all this to impress Lucy. The bit of Harriet offered the movie makes for a fun subplot for a while and liked how Matt kissing her was nice and quick. The one skit we saw, the Dateline Santa thing, was actually not bad, perfect for SNL. As for Jordan and Danny, it seems slightly out of the blue but could spell some nice fun (especially when the father comes into the picture).

Jack got great moments dealing with Jordan's pregnancy and the FCC. His offering to resign rather than hurt the network showed his true character. Asner willing to fight for it was a good speech moment too and it seems once again like Sorkin is planning a show over an entire network rather than one comedy show, it's a good plot.

The stuff with the New Orleans musicians was wonderfully handled, just the playing, no speeches on what they went through or class or race or stuff. It's moments like that where Sorkin shows the true strength of the series. Keep that up and we can see it rebound nicely in the new year.