Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Christmas Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2006 on NBC

• Aaron, you always leave me wanting more.

Knowing that this was going to be the last episode before the break, I paid extra attention and tried to get as much as I could out of it.

A rocky start. This was the first episode where I felt we weren't instantly sucked into it's personal narrative. Sharp dialogue but somehow weakened and a little haphazard. But by the second act it found it's swing and I was absorbed. As charming as the notion of a Jew promoting Christmas ideals was I think the praise should go to that notion serving as a catalyst and bounce for the show’s writing staff’s almost obsessive research into the history of Christmas and it’s associated ideology. I’m still in love with the two young staff writers, forgive me but I forget their names. Fighting the urge to say young black man and cute British girl.

We also got to see the more righteous sides of both Jack and his boss, which is all the more impactful given both characters prominent corporate-colour in previous episodes.

Regarding the New Orleans homeless musicians story line: I didn’t quite feel the sentiment but that might be because I’m not an American. Still, well crafted and it provided an emotive final to the first half of the season. But that wasn’t the only component that book ended this 11 episode set for me: the combination of Danny Trip’s declaration of affection for Jordan and the falling flakes of snow overlaid during the Executive producer credit at the end left me dramatically fulfilled.

A subtle piece of writing with only mild uncertainty at the start. By the end I wanted my Christmas presents 21 days too early.

:JR: