Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Christmas Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2006 on NBC

• This is one of the most awesome shows on television this year, and my favorite new show. This episode just reinforced how amazing "Studio 60" can be.

I loved how even though Matt is Jewish, he still cares about the Christmas show. (Although one out-of-character remark: "I think the virgin birth probably did have something to do with Christmas," would a Jewish guy say that? I don't think so.) Even when he has to smack the rest of the cast and crew over the head to agree with him about it. Someone commented on the politics of the show in a previous review, and I recently saw something about that in TV Guide magazine. It's true, the show does get relentlessly political sometimes, but this is the kind of thing people in Hollywood really do talk about. If Matt and Danny didn't discuss and weren't knowledgable about the major issues, how could they write sketches about them? It's easier to just forget about how one-sided the politics of the show usually are and just go with it (that's how it is).
    I have loved the Danny-Jordan dynamic since the first episode, and the somewhat-culmination of that was just beautiful. I thought, if anything, her pregnancy would stop Danny from making his move, but thankfully the show didn't go in that direction. I would hate to see that drag out for longer (although some people seem not to have seen that coming; how could you not?). I hope his confession doesn't screw up their relationship unduly, though, on the off chance that Jordan could ever resist Bradley Whitford's charm.
    I also like that, after teasing the audience for-how many episodes has it been?-a long time, the writers finally decide to give us a very romantic Matt-Harriet kiss. (I can't decide which was hotter, though, Matt and Harry or Matt and Lucy from a couple episodes ago. Someone may need to smack me to get me to stop thinking about that.) I don't think this will clear up their relationship at all, because they are both way too stubborn for that, but it was the perfect moment and a good scene. My favorite scene, though, was when Harriet came to speak to Danny about her movie deal. Perfect dialogue and miraculous, spectacular acting. Is there a better actor alive than Bradley Whitford? He had better get the Emmy for this episode, or I will set out on a hardcore Emmy-bashing smear campaign. Who is with me?
    All in all, episode was supercalifragilisticexpialadocious. Because there is no other word for it.