Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Christmas Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2006 on NBC

• Well-written, well-acted. Easily the best episode thus far.

I've been faithfully following Studio 60 since it started, and the whole season so far has been amazing. A couple of episodes have wowed me, but nothing beats "The Christmas Show". It had everything that makes a perfect episode, and every second of it was not to be missed.

My favourite scenes in the show have always been the conversations between Matt and Danny because both Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford carry their characters with such talent that their friendship is so believable. This episode further established their bond by the fact that Matt picked up immediately on Danny’s feelings for Jordan before Danny could admit it to himself.

Apart from Matt and Danny, though, another amazing pairing was revealed with the hilarious opening scenes with Danny and Jordan in the waiting room. The dialogue was brilliantly written, and the actors kept the rhythm going, making a perfect opening. I would have been in stitches if I hadn’t been trying to control my laughter so that I wouldn’t miss a word.

Matt’s determination to spread the Christmas cheer around Studio 60 is foiled by humorously practical reasons from Simon and Tom, who spread their scrooge-y ways to the writers room (or what’s left of it). Cal’s moments in the show brought funny to a whole new level when he tried to break the coconut on the table and broke the table instead.

What was truly amazing, however, was the character development that took place. With all the episodes we’ve seen, we’ve come to expect certain behaviors from each of the characters. But just when you think you know them, a curveball is thrown at us. This episode showed us an entirely different side of Jack Rudolph. Yes, ladies and gents, he really does have a heart. It is the revelation of each character’s multi-facets that makes us see them as more and more real every episode. It just makes me want to watch more to know more about them.

An absolutely stunning performance by the band from New Orleans that paid a classy tribute from Studio 60 to the Katrina victims. I could be biased since “O Holy Night” is my favorite Christmas song ever, but this has got to be the best rendition of the song I have ever heard before. It made me tear just a little.

With fabulous acting and an amazing script, this episode has shown us just what Studio 60 is made of. My only question is: how are the writers going to top this?