Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Christmas Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2006 on NBC

• Above and beyond anything we've seen so far. The best episode yet, hands down.

While the whole series thus far has been entertaining, engaging, and truly above-par so far, I have to say that this is the best episode yet. First of all, it manages to capture that delicate balance between humor, drama, and actually furthering the storyline. Over the course of an hour, Harriet gets a movie deal, a bunch of musicians from New Orleans show up, Matt finally kisses Harriet, and Danny reveals his feelings for a very pregnant Jordan. And somehow, none of it felt rushed.
    The episode was also a great vehicle for further developing Jack's character. More than any other character on the show, he is easily the most conflicted in terms of balancing his strong set of personal principles with his duty to see the network succeed commercially. That dichotomy really came into play this week. Besides, it was great to see him without a necktie.
    The humor in the episode was also well-done and totally appropriate. I personally got a kick out of Matt's earnest Christmas spirit, which somehow overtook his usual cynicism. That provided a nice change of pace.