Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Christmas Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Dec 04, 2006 on NBC

• PITCH PERFECT! NBS gets slapped with a $73 million fine because a soldier says the F-word when an RPG explodes over his head on a live news broadcast. Is this the beginning of a war between the FCC and NBS? Read the review to find out!

Now this is the reason that I watch this show. I'm writing this review having not seen this episode since it aired on December 4, 2006 which is almost 2 months ago and this monologue by Wilson White is still etched into my mind. There's a live NBS news broadcast where a reporter is talking to a soldier and an RPG explodes above their heads and they say the F-word. Now the FCC wants to fine NBS for every affiliate that aired it for a total of $73 million in fines. Take a look at what Wilson White has to say when Jack Rudolph tells him about this:

Wilson White: I won't pay a 73 million dollar fine, I won't pay a 73 cent fine, I won't time delay the news, and I won't say, "I'm sorry." I no longer recognize the authority of the FCC in this matter. I’m going to have be ordered by a federal judge, and when they come to get my transmitter they better send a group a hell of lot more scary than the Foundation for Friendly Families or whatever the hell they are. Let those guys embed themselves with 2nd marine division for a while; they'll rejigger their sense of what’s obscene. Jack, this is the one I have been waiting for my whole life. You are the chairman of the National Broadcasting System; that's why I wanted my grandchildren to meet you. That was so good I literally jumped out of my seat and screamed for joy. You can literally hear the thunder of warhorses rumbling in this episode. The FCC declares war on free speech and decides to take the first battle to NBS. Only NBS decides to fight back!!! How will it end?! Well we're up to episode s01e13 so far and it looks like it all hinges on whether Tom Jeter can convince Kim Tao not to give up the viola. You think that sounds weird or boring? Oh no. Oh so terribly no my friend. You couldn't be further from the truth. Watch this episode because along with the pilot and s01e13, it's one of the best episodes of the series so far with one of the best monologues of any series I have ever seen. That's right folks! I'm putting this monologue up there with the President's Independence Day speech in the movie Independence Day and the like. After 2 months, it still stands out. Watch this episode. Trust me. You're gonna like what you see ;)