Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Cold Open

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on NBC

• The show behind the show, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip continues in episode 2 with elaborate histories of the actors and writers behind it. So what’s the outlook for stars in the next 2 years? To read this review and others please visit www.mikeontv.com

7.7
    I wonder how many people will notice that this is a serious drama that is only set in a comedic environment. With only a few little laughs here and there for Matt Albie and Danny Tripp, there are even fewer attempts to be funny (even though there are many opportunities for a chuckle). Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip enforces the audience to believe in the seriousness of the show (in the show). We see how important scheduling and time constraints are to the producers. Perhaps this is a sympathy technique from the NBC creators and writers to get us to accept that this series could possible not go anywhere.

I enjoyed episode 2 for a few reasons. Firstly the opening sketch written by Matt Albie was phenomenal and very appropriate considering the explosion by the former executive producer, Wes Mendell in the episode prior (which by the way I found more like a scene out of the movie The King of Comedy than the numerously referenced, Network).
    The singing by the (character) actors was a little off but the lyrics were bang on and appropriately generated a laugh out load reaction for me. I accepted it as a possible real sketch on Saturday Night Live. I think the real life produces of the television show are looking for it to be funny only when the camera is on the actual show within the show. That’s the only way I can put it.

I also had a good time with the relationship between Ms. McDeere and her counterparts at the NBS. She plays a pro and she seems to be ahead of the game. I find though, when she isn’t, she still can use her youthfulness and down to earth reception to sell the ideas she supports.
    I think it’s a job well done here. But where the series will go begs another question. Like: Who will they kill off for the season finale?

To read this review and others please visit www.mikeontv.com