Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Cold Open

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on NBC

• A busy show, and not bad. But not brilliant either.

This second episode had the unpleasant task of introducing and fleshing out the enormous cast and writing staff of Studio 60, various characthers relationships, and showing the process of how each weekly show is created. Lots and lots of exposition, but it moved fairly smoothly. At least they focused on the creative people and not on the corporate suits like in the first episode.

A few weak bits really stood out, like the following exchange between two female cast members:

"I wish my body looked like yours".
    "I wish my talent looked like yours".

THUD.

More significantly, the whole controversy over the "Crazy Christians" sketch just doesn't ring true. First, that title, "Crazy Christians": Was that really the best Sorkin could do? Crazy!?! Oh my God! How dare they! "Rapture Magazine" is not much better. But the idea that a huge boycott would be organized about a sketch that has not aired is simply not realistic. And we never got to see this sketch that has been the focal point of the first two episodes.

Also, it's not a cold opening if the announcer says "And now, the LA Philharmonic and the cast of Studio 60". What makes an opening "cold" is that the show opens with no announcement or title at all, as SNL has been doing for 30 years. Duh.

Nothing says cutting edge comedy like a Gilbert & Sullivan parody. The cold open, the first actual sketch we have seen, just didn't cut it.