Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Cold Open

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on NBC

• A better example of the show's potential than the pilot.

I was still a bit leery of the show after the all-setup pilot but this really shows the full potential. My concern remains that Sorkin is taking it all way too seriously, that he makes television as important as the White House was. But in some ways, it works.

The opening scene was a bit much with Danny admitting his past drug problems so openly. I am liking the dynamic between Jack and Jordan. Weber is doing well making Jack less a sterotype. His arguments over the affliates show that he is far more knowledgable about how the politics of TV work than Jordan who frankly seems a tad niave for a network president. But then that's why it works, showing she's just too ernest for her own good.

I liked seeing Matt reacting to the other writers and all their tired "Bush is dumb" jokes and laughing as if it's high comedy. The conflict with him and Harriet is going well and nicely paced.

A good thing is how Harriet and Jeanie aren't becoming enemies because of Matt but sticking together. I also liked the stuff with Simon terrified he'd be fired because he can't do voices and the conflict with Danny. And Harriet's pre-show prayer did not become the great joke I thought it would be.

My one complaint is that Sorkin needs to hire a real comedy writer to handle the sketch show parts. I mean, come on, Gilbert and Sullivan? This is supposed to be cutting edge comedy and that's what they've got? Someone needs to explain to SOrkin that "witty" is not the same as "funny."

Still, the real drama is backstage and it's going well so far. Looking forward to more.