Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Cold Open

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on NBC

• Ok, now the real reviews start...

Anyone, well almost anyone, can have a good Pilot. Sometimes your whole idea is a Pilot and there's nothing else or the "Notes" from the network come in, the show is retooled and the second show is lacking somehow, and you're not sure why, That did not happen here.

There was slow but clear character development, introduction to secondary characters like the writing staff and the other Mock Cast players some of whom we may recognize from other Aaron Sorkin shows (I like that he does that) and a simple understandable idea, what's going in the show this week, and the Sketch at the end was something you could actually see on a Sketch Comedy Show, I wonder or Lorin Michaels is tuning in?

There were funny moments but funny in the way that things overheard in a conversation can be, "I wish my body looked like yours". "I wish my talent looked like yours." the humor is not forced, it's subtle and smart.

The cast still has some integrating to do before the full flavor of the performances can be explored but if this is any indication, and I know it is, of what’s to come Monday Night Football might have to reconsider...;)