Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Cold Open

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on NBC

• Part good and part brilliant, this episode shows a lot of fine writing and directing, and promises that we will see more and better.

Still getting the major storyline started on the heels of the pilot, this episode takes its time but eventually shows a lot of fine writing and directing, and promises that we will see more and better in the weeks ahead.

Although a tad slow in the first half, taking its time to establish things like the network affiliates\' discomfort with the new direction, and the Matt/Harriet relationship (as well as many other relationships just beginning to be explored), it really picks up at the moment when Matt tries to define what he needs for the cold open. With Danny, Cal, and a couple of cast members in the room, the ideas start bouncing around, and suddenly the Gilbert & Sullivan idea comes to him. From that point on, it\'s a whirl of activity and the pace picks up dramatically. It\'s a brilliant scene. The final sequence, including the pre-show huddle, Matt\'s explanation of the difference between asking for a laugh and asking for the butter, and especially the full production number (with hilarious lyrics!) and ending with Matt catching sight of the clock having restarted with the countdown to the following week\'s show, is totally wonderful. It made me jump out of my seat and cheer.