Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Cold Open

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Sep 25, 2006 on NBC

• If the entire show was that song and Harry busting into the writers' room, that would've been a perfectly satisfying presentation on its own. :)

Matt's admonishing the writers to look and behave professionally seconds before Harry stormed in with a burst of righteous indignation was exactly the kind of moment we need to be responding with when people say "Oh, it's not funny enough. It's so boring."

All of the patterpatterpatter builds to huge explosively funny moments like that. Unlike other shows with more beat-set-laugh structure, there's a longer buildup to the payoff, but the resulting payoff is [i]sweet[/i].

In fact, they may have given away just a little too much in building up to the song, but ultimately it was quite good. Sadly, once you step into that particular song parody, you are trapped in its somewhat florid and repetitive structure, but they stepped around that well enough.

It was a truly inspired opening, and for those waiting to see the "Crazy Christians" sketch, from what Matt said, we may never actually see it -- he argued that too many people had seen it in the dress run and the dress run four years before, and essentially that it would, itself, be too old.

But if we do see it, it's almost certainly going to be funnier than most things on television.

It's the sort of thing that becomes all the funnier in legend form -- like Tenacious D's "Tribute to the Greatest Song in the World" or whatever that was, or Monty Python's "World's Funniest Joke" -- where we only ever just [i]hear[/i] about it rather than actually [i]experience[/i] it.

Either way, I'm looking forward to the rest of what they [i]do[/i] come up with, because this show is cool. In this episode, we learns something about the significance of natterboards and the impact of interest groups on programming.

I [i]loved[/i] Jordan's discussion of implementing a "coward tax." Nice.

And really, the discussion of playing to people's strengths was cool. I'm looking forward to D.L.'s reading the news. And the writers rebelling against the dress code. And all the other stuff they're doing.

Especially the window they opened on Matt's relationships with Harry [i]and[/i] with Danny (where she was saying Matt's head would explode if he saw her so much as slow dance with Danny). That's an interesting dynamic -- sort of "Nip/Tuck"-esque.

Can't wait to see where they go with it. ;)

All in all, well done, and a great second episode. :)