Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Disaster Show

Aired Monday 10:00 PM May 24, 2007 on NBC

• It's the Allison Janney show!

It says a lot that the lack of Danny, Matt and Jordan actually makes this episode more tolerable than the last several. Putting up the montage of bad skits does show why it didn't catch on with some but the set up is believable from Danny being that much of an idiot with the union to Cal not knowing about the cue card guys being with the propmasters. So the ep was able to make do without them. Of course that has to do with its guest star.

Someone, anyone, get Allison Janney a new show! This woman is utterly brilliant, putting up with the insanity, threatening to kill everyone involved and doing her best with the skits. I loved when Cal told her during the opening about the strikes and she just reacts with wide eyes and comments to him on air. I did think Sorkin was being a little too over the top with the ending of Cal telling her that even when TV is a disaster, it's fun. As for the subplots, the Simon one was dragged on a bit too long to sell him as a womanizer. The bomb scare also was hobbled by the stuff of Cal assuming it was a Muslim and having it be a white stoner. As for Jack, is it really that believable for an executive to be spending so much time of this one show drinking? But I did like the thing where the entire cast finally calls Harriet on how she can't use them as a defense to not get with Matt, basically saying "do it or don't, just stop bothering us with it!" That was long overdue and I was happy to see it happen.

It's odd to talk about a show when we know it's ending but this showcased how it could have worked, with the behind the scenes stuff rather than the speeches and poor romantic plots. And again, thanks to Allison for making it work so well.