Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Focus Group

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 02, 2006 on NBC

• This episode reveals a serious flaw in Studio 60: it makes us want to watch the comedy program they are creating, but there is not enough time to show it to us.

Studio 60 is a very ambitious show, but that is quickly becoming a problem. They are trying to do more than is feasible, resulting in a show crammed with plotlines, bulging at the seams with dialogue, overflowing with characters and their relationships. There was just too much going on in this episode to praise it. Too much and not enough.

There is the focus group and the problems it creates, the ongoing concerns over offending Christians and other supposed prudes, the potential scandal over Jordan's 8 year old DWI and ex husbands book, and oh yeah, doing a live TV show every week.

The huge flaw I see is that the writers, performers, producers and executives all talk, argue and fret endlessly about the live show, which makes us very interested in seeing this live show that they are creating every week. But of course they can't show us more than a few minutes of the show in each episode. The montage of the live show included in this episode was incredibly frustrating! And, as in the first two episodes, they all talk and talk about the "Crazy Christians" sketch that we will never get to see. How are we supposed to care about a controversial sketch that we haven't seen?

Another "do I care?" issue came up at the end, when the cast and producers all celebrate the fact that their ratings went up. I am just not emotionally invested enough in these characters to share in their euphoria.

Being ambitious is not enough. Studio 60 is not funny enough to be a successful comedy, and not dramatic enough to be a successful drama.