Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Focus Group

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Oct 02, 2006 on NBC

• Slowly but steadily improving in writing and tone.

One complaint I had last week was that the actual "comedy" of the skit show was lacking in true humor and relied on old style stuff like Gilbert and Sullivan. However, this shows a much better turn for the show-within-the-show parts.

Doing it as a montage was good (although the constant applause was a bit much) but it showcased well the skits, some of which I can easily see fitting on SNL. I'm surprised they haven't already done the "golf fan acting like a football fan" skit and Simon's Rosanne Barr joke was perfect. I took a bit of exception at that "Commedia dell'arte" skit as being too classy but then they actually point out how it goes over the heads of people and that's the point. I also like how Jeannine is coming along as freaked over getting dumped but they stick by her.

The joke on the small town and Harriet calling on it was intriguing, pointing out how well she connects with castmates. And her Holly Hunter accent was so dead-on it was scary. (Note to Sorkin: Get Holly Hunter for an ep, this would rule).

The bits of Jordan were quite good, showing her fear that she keeps hidden. I'm dying to see her husband come in and what drama that can bring. I also hope we see more of the conflict between Ricky and Ron and Matt and Danny, especially with Matt trying to work with them more. So it looks an improvement on the show so far, finally clicking on all levels, which promises lots of fun to come.