Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Friday Night Slaughter

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Feb 12, 2007 on NBC

• An incredibly intense episode, Matthew Perry at his best...

Studio 60 really hit an amazing balance tonight between drama and comedy, as we saw Matt struggling with his break-up with Harriet with flashbacks to their first week together at Studio 60 and pills.

Matthew Perry was brilliant as a pained Matt, who isn't sure how to explain how this break-up is different but he knows it is. In an attempt to "start over," he originally wants all old, well-done sketches he wrote for Harriet to be part of the episode; eventually, he decides they can be pulled for tje Singing Teacher sketch, which was originally created by Luke, the man Harriet is with now. It is perhaps Matt's understanding that he has to move on.

Meanwhile, Danny and Jordan are adorable as can be going about their daily business, with Jordan refusing to be kissed (after she has checked each angle to see where they can be seen from) and with Danny talking to the baby with his hands on Jordan's stomach about how his voice is the voice of authority.

In the flashbacks, we see Luke and Matt both writing sketches for the new sketch-comedian, Harriet Hayes. Matt manages to affend her about her religious beliefs, but she allows him to write a sketch for her too. Young Matthew is disappointed when Wes picks Luke's sketch for Harriet, Singing Teacher, and not his.

It's hard to capture in words why this episode was so moving, but I found myself sitting very still as we watched Matt tumble into a downward spiral. Was recognizing that he was having dream about a writer who never actually worked at Studio 60 -- who was in his dreams fired for taking pills, just like Matt was doing in this episode -- enough to have him sober up? Or will things only get worse?