Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

The Harriet Dinner (1)

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Jan 29, 2007 on NBC

• Maybe a little on the slow side, but Sorkin's clearly moving the pieces around on his chess board to get ready for something big...

I have to admit to being a little bit disappointed still in the route that Studio 60 is taking. The storyline is still progressing more slowly than I would have hoped. I am still going to keep watching because I know the team of Schlamme and Sorkin won't ultimately disappoint us. That said, there were many good points for me last night. The Tom/Lucy storyline was cute and refreshing....even if you could see from a mile away that Matt's advice to Tom to lie to Lucy was going to go astray. I thought the girl playing Tom's admirer was very funny in her tequila-stricken state. I can't wait to see how things progress from there.

Also, I was extremely glad to see more of Timothy Busfield's Cal. He is so inherently funny; just by being on the screen, he amuses me. Big cliffhanger of the night: where will the missing snake turn up, or has it been eaten by the ferret, or has the ferret been eaten by the coyote? I also enjoyed Harriet calling Matt on his actions, or lack thereof in the past, and how nothing ever changes between them. Good for her; a change in their dynamics might just be what the show needs to be a tad more exciting in coming weeks. Darius and Simon's interactions were also Sorkin-worthy as Simon's punishing of Darius continues. I hope Darius continues to stand up for himself, and stand behind what he sees as comedy, even if that might not coincide with Simon's opinions.

Lastly, Danny and Jordan....I'm glad to see Jordan hesitating a little when Danny said he was going to stop wooing her....her response of "well" makes us she that perhaps she has feelings for Danny too. Is she just afraid of owning up to them (like maybe he'll leave her just when she starts to depend on him), or is she worried that his feelings are just protective and pitiful, as she mentioned? Either way, I was glad to see Danny back to being "the man." That whole stalker thing last week freaked me out a bit, but he seems to be coming to his senses. And him not pursuing her might be just what it takes for her to pursue him.

So, all in all, it was a decent episode. I think Sorkin is setting us up with great things to come shortly!